Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Brit Albritton
Brit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle DX, iPad
Unhappy Using Launchpad on broken Kindle DX?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this great forum.

The buttons on the right side of my Kindle DX Graphite (home, forward, back, menu & del) have stopped working. The joystick and keyboard seem to be fine.

I'd like to remap the keyboard so that the Kindle might still be of some use, but it isn't jailbroken, and I can't get into the settings without a working menu button.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks again.
Brit Albritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Since we don't know a "magic key" for the Kindle DX, I guess the only option is the serial port.

Did you open the device yet? Maybe it's just a loose connector...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I tried every key combination I could think of for you - I found way to access the kindle store and other hidden useless stuff... What hawhill said. Give it a look inside.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Brit Albritton
Brit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-booksBrit Albritton has learned how to read e-books

Thanks guys

Thanks guys. I'll take a stab at it.

Any suggestions for a tool to open the bezel?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://www.rapidrepair.com/Merchant2...n=cp-kindle-dx

Step 1

Quote:
To get started, flip the unit over so we can remove the top grey plastic bezel.

There are 2 screws to remove in this step after the grey bezel comes off. see sub picture for screw removal location. the other one is on the opposite side. These arent hidden so they are pretty easy to get to.

After the 2 screws are removed, slide the back panel down towards the bottom of the unit. this will free the entire back panel.
etc....

also http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/a...eardown/449063

and other first page google results
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Brit Albritton

Thanks TwoBob...

...but Google is also my friend. I saw that, but am having a bit of trouble finding a tool to open the bezel, and don't want to throw good money after bad by purchasing their overpriced kit. If there are no suggestions, I'll try to carve something out of an old credit card.

I think my DX problem is a short, anyway. The battery life radically decreased when the buttons stopped working. Maybe I can find one on ebay with a busted screen....