Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
PocketBook IQ: battery drain from random wakeup?

Hi everyone,

Instead of "power off the device", I press the power button quickly and release.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does this simply turn the screen off or does it put the device the sleep?

2. Does anyone know which application is waking up the IQ?

This is an annoying problem as it drains the battery.

Cheers.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
staul62
staul62 began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
Hi,

In answer to question 1 - I'm pretty sure it's just turning off the screen. I observed the same behaviour.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

Cheers,

Steve
staul62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Screen is just off as far as I'm aware.

Mine has been doing the same thing, cannot figure out what application is doing it!

Nothing has been set to automatically sync to my knowledge.
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK, have not figured out why the IQ kept on waking up but I do know that when you do a quick press and release of the power button, the IQ does more than turn the screen off, it goes into a "sleep".

How do I know this? It is because of the light indicator at the bottom of the IQ.

When the device is off or "sleep" and plugged in, the light indicator is on (amber when charging and green when charging is completed).

When the device is on, the light indicator does not turn on when plugged in.

When I quickly press and release the power button to put to the device to "sleep", the light indicator does turn on. when I see that the light indicator is no longer on, I know that the IQ turned itself on (most of the time with the screen off).
Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Nightwish
Nightwish began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't know if this is what people are talking about, but the screen turns on at random times which drains the battery. This is seriously bad.
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
I don't know if this is what people are talking about, but the screen turns on at random times which drains the battery. This is seriously bad.
that is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Nightwish
Nightwish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Since the most vocal users are not complaining and don't seem to be using the PB app either, I'm going to suggest that might be it.
Where do we complain, anyway?
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
Since the most vocal users are not complaining and don't seem to be using the PB app either, I'm going to suggest that might be it.
Where do we complain, anyway?
I may not be complaining vocally, but to me, the entire power management of the IQ is a bloody disgrace. Not even the screen turns off completely when in "standby".
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
I turned off sync, sound, turned brightness down, and generally wifi unless I've got reason to use it, still 'testing' how long my battery lasts. I only used the 'sleep' function for a couple days before seeing it just let my battery die so now I turn it off completely.

I don't know how well the sleep function works, seems like it might be bugged, I just don't have the time/interest in testing it at the moment.

As for complaining there is the bug report sticky, the wanted features thread (for a change/suggestion), and of course http://www.pocketbook-int.com/ where you can send email to PB to make your POV known.

Last edited by JP36; 01-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
UrbanNightmare
Enthusiast
UrbanNightmare began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
I may not be complaining vocally, but to me, the entire power management of the IQ is a bloody disgrace. Not even the screen turns off completely when in "standby".
I started a new thread about the IQ not turning off the screen completely but should have searched on this. I'm having the same issue. Basically if you do the quick press of the power button the device seems to turn off the screen but if you are in a dark room (almost pitch black) you can still see the screen is on but the back light is off.

Interesting problem. It does seem that something is keeping it from sleeping properly. Could it be something like it not being able to write the memory contents to the SD (internal or external)? Just taking a shot in the dark.

Urban Nightmare
UrbanNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
UrbanNightmare
Enthusiast
UrbanNightmare began at the beginning.

I couple of notes as I watched it. Someone (can't remember who sorry) mentioned that when the IQ goes to sleep if you have it plugged in it will turn on the LED near the plugin (amber for charging, green for charged). After doing a factory reset, reinstall the repack (not the .1 version) and doing another factory reset just to be safe. I then installed cool reader and setup email and the android market. Left it plugged in all day and when ever the screen would go blank (set to 2 minute time out) the green led would come on a couple of seconds later. So everything seemed to be alright.

I then turned on the wifi and did some surfing. After a few minutes I put it down. 2 minutes later the screen went blank but the LED charging light did not come on. Left it like this for a few mins then tapped the screen and it came back on. Did this a few more times with the same result. It seems something on the network is keeping it awake and not letting it sleep. As soon as I turned off the wifi it would sleep every time.

Hope this helps in tracking this down either for the repack or the original firmware.

Urban Nightmare
UrbanNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote