Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
tsogoo
tsogoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
kindle paperwhite dictionary does not work

Hi. i have downloaded dictionary and it works but doesnt well. If i press the word , which is -ed verd or ing etc, this word's definition doesnt show up. What should i do ???. Otherwise its work fine on noun etc.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
tsogoo

I have forgotten to write my device. I have kindle paperwhite 2
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Which dictionary is this?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Dictionaries have to be formatted correctly to handle inflections properly. Your dictionary probably isn't encoded properly. It is a lot of work.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As HarryT said, which dictionary are you trying to use?

It is possible to convert a tabbed list, but it doesn't handle inflections, as I linked to in your previous thread about dictionaries.

This thread explains the issue: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20994 Having looked up more info this time it turns out you may be better off converting something in an XML that the Mobipocket tool understands, like the sample in that link.

This may very well turn out to be a downright project.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsogoo View Post
Hi. i have downloaded dictionary and it works but doesnt well. If i press the word , which is -ed verd or ing etc, this word's definition doesnt show up. What should i do ???. Otherwise its work fine on noun etc.
Just curious in case you're not aware: why do you want to use a downloaded dictionary (assuming they are not the ones that is provided for free by default.)

The defaults are quite excellent and there're no issues with -ed etc.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
tsogoo

im trying to use collin's dictionary,which is comprhensive. To add inflections for dictionary,
i unpacked the dictionary using kindleunpack, and i stuck with.
i opened content with text editor.
is it correct to insert in content
<idx:infl inflgrp="car">
<idx:iform name="plural" value="cars" />
</idx:infl>
<idx:infl inflgrp="write">
<idx:iform name="present participle" value="writing" />
<idx:iform name="past participle" value="written" />
<idx:iform name="present 3ps" value="writes" />
</idx:infl>
</idxrth>

if i insert it in content then pack again , will it work ?
i don't know what to write in if you guys know plss plug it in correct way

THANK YOUUUUU D
Old 11-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where did you buy this dictionary from?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #9
tsogoo

i downloaded free from a site
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Collin's Dictionary is not free.

Why not use the default Oxford dictionaries? They are very good and comprehensive, and free...
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Moderator Notice
We will not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to request help for pirated books. Please do not do so again, or you will be permanently banned from MobileRead.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread