Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
A little newb help? Launch Calibre via batch file with "Start in tray" modifier

I never was much for batch files, I'm used to doing stuff like this at work with embedded linux systems but not at home on my windows box

Basically what I'm trying to do is create a .bat file that I can stick in my windows start folder so that when the PC is turned on it'll automatically open Calibre but minimized to the system tray.

I created an "enhanced feature" ticket on the Calibre site asking if this could be added to the gui but the reply was to call the program using "calibre --start-in-tray". Thats all fine and good but I need a little with the batchfile syntax. To complicate matters more I'm actually at work right now and cannot try this out.

Would it be as simple as this:
Start C:/Path/to/calibre.exe calibre --start-in-tray

or

Start C:/Path/to/calibre.exe --start-in-tray

Any info would be greatly appreciated
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
A simple text file with the lines

Code:
@ECHO OFF
"C:\path\to\calibre\calibre.exe" --start-in-tray
should work fine. Make sure the tray icon is enabled in the calibre preferences for to actually start in the tray.

Rename the file filename.bat and do whatever you want with it.

Just a side note, depending on what version of windows you run, you may prefer to run a scheduled task to start calibre instead of a batch file in the startup folder.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info sherman, I considered the scheduled task method but I don't leave my computer on 24/7 (or leave it in sleep mode) when I'm not around and when I am home I'm using the PC Since my folks are retired and get up earlier than I do I've set up Calibre on a computer at their house, the plan was that it'll fetch my news and email it to me before I get up. They're not too computer savvy so I didn't want them to have Calibre popping up in full mode every time they boot up so this should solve the problem.

PS I just noticed I had all my slashes the wrong way in my path before, been doing too much web work lately

Last edited by jphphotography; 09-22-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Copy the Calibre desktop shortcut.
Paste it into the Startup folder (rightclick on Startup and select open)

Just add the switch to the windows shortcut command properties. Leave as normal window

Done
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
A scheduled task doesn't necessarily mean a task has to be run at a certain time.
There are options to run a task at system startup, or at user login, etc.

This is how I start the calibre content server.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
jphphotography
Zealot

I went with The Duck's method and used Sherman's syntax, seems to be working great! Thanks for the help guys.

I'll look into the scheduled task part a bit more too.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
kindleNoob2011
kindleNoob2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Problem with batch file

calibre runs and minimises but leaves command prompt on. Can anyone help i think it's because cmd is meant to close after task but system tray is constantly running. I don't wan't a short-cut because that doesn't minimise to system tray

Please Help
kindleNoob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are starting Calibre via a batch file, then the line that starts Calibre should use the START keyword to launch Calibre as a separate process and allow the batch file to complete.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote