Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
linaco
linaco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Question Question about kindle2 Global Version

a question about global version.

if a us buyer bought kindle2 global version, and travel to europe, can he use kindle to visit the experimental web browser?

I read from amazon, "Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country. You will have free access to Wikipedia." European countries are not supported "Blogs and the experimental web browser". i want to know this is only to buyers in europe or also US user travel in US?

did any US buyer try to use kindle2 in Europe and get Blogs and the experimental web browser, such as CNN and google ?

Last edited by linaco; 01-02-2010 at 11:27 AM.
linaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
it does not matter where you buy the kindle 2 global wireless device as they are all identical now. they all have the same at&t sim card in them, so if you leave the US, then you start roaming and loose access to all but kindle store and wikipedia.

i believe this to be the correct answer to your question, someone may confirm. :-)
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
linaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
it does not matter where you buy the kindle 2 global wireless device as they are all identical now. they all have the same at&t sim card in them, so if you leave the US, then you start roaming and loose access to all but kindle store and wikipedia.

i believe this to be the correct answer to your question, someone may confirm. :-)
thank u for your reply, however, I heard someone in UK also can access CNN and google. how it is possible?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
MrEggsalad
MrEggsalad began at the beginning.

If you have Wikipedia, then wouldn't you have full web access? Unless there is some way I am not seeing, when I type something in then choose wikipedia it takes me to the Wikipedia page via the web browser.
MrEggsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

in Australia, we have access to Wikipedia but if we try to access anything else it just says not available in your country
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by linaco View Post
thank u for your reply, however, I heard someone in UK also can access CNN and google. how it is possible?
If you have your country set to United States you can access the full web (at least while in Australia - not sure about Europe).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
linaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
If you have your country set to United States you can access the full web (at least while in Australia - not sure about Europe).
thank you for your information.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Be aware that this is will probably give Amazon more expenses and thus may be disabled later on. Or maybe Amazon will get a better deal with AT&T and make it available for all...
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linaco View Post
When my Kindle is registered to my US account I can access all the US content (i.e. more than just Wiki and Amazon.com) even though I'm in the UK. Occasionally the access continues even when I deregister it from the US account and reregister it with the UK account.

As I normally keep my 3G switched off to save battery power it may be that I keep US content until I switch on the 3G and my Kindle "updates" (I know that's the wrong technical term but you know what I mean!) my country of residence.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote