Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
PRSCustomizer: Customize and personalize your PRS505 Reader

PRSCustomizer: A useful companion for your Sony PRS-505 Reader

PRSCustomizer enhances your Sony Reader
with these optional features:

* Localization: 12 predefined languages
* Unicode fonts with Cyrillic/Eastern European Support
* User-defined fonts
* Uniform font size for menus
* Multiple Iconsets (currently 4) or add your own
* One-key shutdown (Joypad center key / Volume keys)
* Personalized About Screen (Name,Telephone,Email)
* Joypad page forward
* Volume key page turns
* Volume key history navigation
* Circle pad history navigation
* Turn off right justification for BBeB books
* Disable number keys when reading
* Clock (24/12 hr)

Versions are provided for:
* Windows 2000,XP,Vista
* Mac OS X (X86)
* Linux (X86)

Download Here

Installation:
Simply unzip the archive into a folder of your choice.

Using PRSCustomizer:

Personalization
================
Your Reader is valuable. Wouldn't it be great if some kind
person had the information to return it to you should you
inadvertently misplace it? PRSCustomizer allows you to
personalize your Reader by "branding" the About Screen
with your name, telephone number and email address.
On PRSCustomizer's screen you'll see three text entry
fields:

* Name
* Telephone
* Email

All required to personalize -- Fill out these
text boxes and the information will be displayed
on your Reader's "About Screen."

Dropdown selection menus for
=============================
Firmware customization
Language selection
Iconset selection
Fontset selection

Firmware customization
=======================
Firmware customization applies the changes you choose to a selected firmware image

Language
============
Language or localization allows the PRS-505 Reader to display menus and prompts in your native language. With firmware 1.1 you have the ability to localize your reader using 12 different languages.

Iconsets
===========
Everybody's different. The menu icons supplied by Sony do the job,
but you might prefer a different look. PRSCustomizer allows you
to choose between four different iconsets or to load your own,
created using a graphical editor such as Photoshop or Gimp.
To use your own iconset modify or replace the file
prsfiles/user_icons.png and select "User-supplied" from the
icon dropdown menu.

Fonts
===========
PRSCustomizer comes with two different fontsets: the standard
Sony fontset and a Unicode font set. Additionally, you can load
your own fontsets by dropping them into folder prsfiles/font.3 and
selecting "User-supplied" from the font selection menu. Creating fonts
is beyond the scope of PRSCustomizer, for guidance look to Valloric's
Font Guide available at Mobileread.com - Be aware that font creation
is a rather arcane art, and bad fonts can brick your reader.

Checkboxes, one for each option
================================

* Volume key shutdown allows you to perform a complete system shutdown by pressing either the + or - volume key. Don't choose this option if you use your Reader to play digital music!

* Enter key shutdown allows you to perform a complete system shutdown by pressing and holding the depressed center portion of the Reader's joypad; the round pad on the bottom left.

* Joypad page forward converts the right arrow on the joypad to a handy page forward key when you're reading. The key is otherwiae unaffected.

* Uniform font size changes your Reader's fonts to a uniform size on all menus.Some find this more pleasing that Sony's mixture of sizes.

* No right justification turns off full or right justification for Sony's BBeB (LRF) books, forcing them to display a "ragged right." This is the default for EPUB.

* Volume key page turns allows you to page forward and back through text by pressing either the + or - volume key. Don't choose this option if you use your Reader to play digital music!

* Volume key page turns allows you to page forward and back through Reader History by pressing either the + or - volume key. Don't choose this option if you use your Reader to play digital music!

* Circle pad history allows you to page forward and back through Reader History by pressing either the > or < key on the left bottom circle pad. Don't choose this 0 ption if you use your circle pad for regular page turns!

* Personal logo.
=================
Did you know you could change your Reader's logo? (The black bar at the top of the screen that says "Reader.") You'll need access to a graphics editor, such as Photoshop or Gimp. In the directory prsfiles, you'll see two files: logo.png and kBookAssets.png. The logo.png file is a 210x70 file. Add your personalization details to this file, and paste it into the upper left corner of the kBookAssets.png file, covering the large text "Reader." Once you're done, you can select the "Replace logo" checkbox. After you flash and reboot, you should have a customized logo.

When you've chosen all your options, press the Customize
button.

At that point, the folder "sdcard" will be populated with the necessary
files to customize your 505. Now copy the contents of the folder sdcard to the root of a blank SD card. Be sure not to copy the folder, just its contents. Insert the card into your Reader and Igorsk's Universal Flasher will start.

To flash your Reader, choose option #5, then option #6. After a
reboot,you should have a customized PRS505.

You may choose to back up your firmware, using option #3 before flashing your Reader. If you do, two images cramfs.Fsk.img and cramfs.Rootfs.img will be created in a /tmp directory in your Reader's main memory. Connect your Reader to a PC and drag this folder from the Reader to the PC for safekeeping.

Recovering from Errors

In the PRS 505, Sony has produced a very robust device. It's actually
very hard to cause the device to become unresponsive, otherwise
known as a "brick." However, when making complex changes to your
Reader inadvertent errors on your part may cause it to become
stuck on the "Reader starting up..." screen. Recovery is usually
simple.

Recovering a brick

1. You're stuck at "Reader starting up..."

2. Use a a paperclip to press the reset button on the back of the Reader

3. Quickly slide the power toggle.

4. When the Reader reboots, immmediately connect it to your PC via usb cable.

After a minute or so, the usb connection message should appear; now
you can use the US/Canadian Sony Updater to reflash your Reader.

Credits
PRSCustomizer wouldn't be possible without the help from backend programs and code. Specifically Igorsk's Universal Flasher and Porkupan's localization javascript and Universal Flasher PRS-505 support. Additionally, Corwin provided shell scripts for the Flasher and Shade wrote the original version of the javascript clock display. Valloric created the font creation guide and hosts a topic devoted to the subject at Mobileread.com. Iconset2 was created by maggotb0y, iconset3 by diabloNL and iconset4 by surquizu.

Thanks to all these folks for their efforts.

This is free software, (c) 2008 by Jeff Elkins, licensed under GPL V2. Use it at your own risk. Be aware that Sony has not sanctioned this software and modifying your Reader may void its warranty.

Download Here

Get support via prscustomizer@gmail.com or at Mobileread.com

Last edited by JeffElkins; 01-28-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Reversion to 1.04
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Seems to have worked perfectly! Thanks for putting the effort into this and releasing it to the public
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Worked like a charm! I was waaaaay to lazy to follow all these disjointed threads that popped up after the new firmware came out and cobble the hacks together myself.

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2

Added a link to the Hacking Conclusions and Guide thread.

Last edited by Peto; 08-01-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505

Worked like a dream,thanx
only one question
which button do I use for the shutdown ?
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have not flashed my 505 because I don't see the value of the hacks for me.

But the uniform font hack is one with which I am not familiar. What is its function? How does it work?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
which button do I use for the shutdown ?
Heh, I didn't either but I just started pressing buttons to see which one it is. It's the enter button.

Quote:
the uniform font hack is one with which I am not familiar.
In the book listing it makes all the fonts the same size instead of the "normal" way where books with short titles are listed with a bigger font.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Nice work!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
fkasten
fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fkasten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
There seems to be a bit of an issue with the date and time function. After flashing and rebooting, the time and date reflected a location 12 hours earlier than my time (EST) in the US - 2300 hours on 7/31 instead of 1100 hours on 8/1. I can change the month to 08 but not the day or hours. Any ideas? Thanks.

UPDATE: All is well now - the movement keys miraculously started working after I left the reader on and unattended for a while. The gremlins must have decided to move on! Or maybe it was just operator error as usual. Thanks again for your efforts to help all of us.

Last edited by fkasten; 08-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.
fkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkasten View Post
There seems to be a bit of an issue with the date and time function. After flashing and rebooting, the time and date reflected a location 12 hours earlier than my time (EST) in the US - 2300 hours on 7/31 instead of 1100 hours on 8/1. I can change the month to 08 but not the day or hours. Any ideas? Thanks.
No problem here. I use the joystick arrows to move up/down,left/right, numeric keys and the enter key w/o issues. BTW, the clock hack does nothing to the date setting routines. They are hardcoded (compiled) routines, not something in javascript or xml that we can edit.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Sportsman
Sportsman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for putting that together; worked beautifully.

Also, I am running Vista Ultimate on my PC and had no issues running the prscustomizer program.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
Worked great. Flashed to 505.1.1.00.18040 firmware then installed. Thanks
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
In the book listing it makes all the fonts the same size instead of the "normal" way where books with short titles are listed with a bigger font.
Thanks. I appreciate the information.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wow, very nice! I've been afraid to try this before now, but you made it very easy! Thanks, Jeff.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Jeff--First of all thanks very much for posting this!!

I'm trying to use the PRS Customizer, but I keep coming up with an error message.

According to my reader, I'm able to create the image successfully (5--make a new image); but when I go to the next step (6--flash the image) I always get the following error: "Error while flashing partition! It is recommended to switch to recovery mode and use Sony flasher to flash a stock image." I can then exit to the menu and my Reader still works but hasn't been updated.

I previously ran used the Universal Flash Updater 2.0 provided by Igorsk with the additional files provided by Gwynevans. I was able to run this successfully--only thing that I couldn't get to "take" were the new icons.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions on what I might try to get the updater to work successfully. I'd like to have the new icons and the identifying text. Also, right now my clock is a little messed up (left digit not showing completely) and I think Jeff's update fixes this.

Thanks for any help!!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote