Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #46
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I bought the book, and have to confess, I’m having a little trouble keeping my interest peaked. There just seems to be way too many subplots and characters to keep everything sorted out. Perhaps it’s an indication of my inability to multitask well.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to keep all the characters straight. And so many names are similar! At least 3 characters have first names that start with either a "Ty" or a "Ti". I don't know HOW Martin kept them all straight in his mind. In what little fiction I've written, I have trouble keeping 2 characters consistent.

But the characters I can remember are really compelling. I think it's totally worth it!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #47
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yeah, it's kind of hard to keep all the characters straight. And so many names are similar! At least 3 characters have first names that start with either a "Ty" or a "Ti". I don't know HOW Martin kept them all straight in his mind. In what little fiction I've written, I have trouble keeping 2 characters consistent.

But the characters I can remember are really compelling. I think it's totally worth it!
I just finished this morning re-reading the whole series. It was much easier to keep everybody straight this time around! And also, I went straight through without reading anything in between, except for a tiny break to read the new Sookie Stackhouse book. It took me quite a while, which surprised me since I'm a fast reader. That's the thing about reading e-books -- I don't really even think about how long something might take me to read since the books are all the same size in my hands now! I thoroughly enjoyed the massive reading experience, though. Love these books!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #48
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Well, I've gotten further into it and it's beginning to sort out, maybe I'll even be able to finish it.

I found out that when I one clicked the Kindle edition on Amazon, I also got the pbook (and got charged for both) . Oh well, I gave the pbook to Susie, maybe she will enjoy it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #49
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i'm one episode behind but i just watched episode 4 last night.
so did lady stark have that plan all along to catch tyron or was it tyrius .. or ty something lol. if she did i may have missed it, i do know early on in the 2nd ep they were discussing the knife so maybe that's where it came from but i don't recall them doing any planning after that, unless i just missed it which is a possibility.

i've gotten into it but i haven't gotten hold of everyones names yet, there are quite a few people in this cast. since there is so much going on and so many people to keep track of this show will do well and last, at least through the 4 books anyway / 4 seasons.

i did feel the progression of the blonde girl with the hunters ( names gone again lol )
went pretty quick, she was timid and shy and wasn't commanding and now she's slapping her brother and threatening him so fast... i know some time has gone by but it almost seems as if too much time elapses between episodes...rather than days we have weeks/months.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #50
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the way the books read, Lady Stark pretty much stumbled into him at the Inn just as it is portrayed.

it is unfortunate that the progression seems so rapid, you do get more of a sense of the passage of time when reading the books.

and now for your trivia of the day... how many of you realized that the woman playing Cersei is the woman who played Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I sure didn't pick up on that!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #51
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the way the books read, Lady Stark pretty much stumbled into him at the Inn just as it is portrayed.

it is unfortunate that the progression seems so rapid, you do get more of a sense of the passage of time when reading the books.

and now for your trivia of the day... how many of you realized that the woman playing Cersei is the woman who played Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I sure didn't pick up on that!
it's not bad that it progresses so fast but just had me wondering is all.. the show is top notch and i think i'm just anxious for winter to come and see the horrible things they all speak of.

as for cersei, now that you mention it yes ... maybe she's there to protect ned and his family from terminators from the future and she just plays the bad part as a ruse. lol.
that is pretty neat though, i did like that show too bad she's so unlikable in this one.

they did do a great job of painting the lannisters as evil and every episode i wait for one of them to receive a grizzly death.

thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #52
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I knew...I loved that show and was very upset when it was cancelled

She was also Queen Gorgo (queen of Sparta) in the movie 300.

I've read all but the last book of Game of Thrones and I really enjoyed them. I have the last book on pre-order. They've really done an excellent job so far on the show. I was quite shocked at the boy nursing on Lady Lysa though.

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 05-17-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I was quite shocked at the boy nursing on Lady Lysa though.
That's straight out of the book. Wasn't sure they'd show it though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #54
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In the book is one thing, but actually acting it out is another. My boy is about the same age as the one in the show and there's no way I would allow that. I wonder if they got paid extra
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
... so did lady stark have that plan all along to catch tyron or was it tyrius .. or ty something lol. if she did i may have missed it, i do know early on in the 2nd ep they were discussing the knife so maybe that's where it came from but i don't recall them doing any planning after that, unless i just missed it which is a possibility.
That's not evident from the book (unless I missed something) but I suspect that Littlefinger set him/them up. It just makes sense, Littlefinger said he lost the knife to the Imp in a bet, but the Imp denies it. And he's too clever to have given it to his hired assasin in any case.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #56
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It was super creepy, but perfect, since it was one of the creepy things in the book too.

I'm loving the series! I reread the entire series to prepare for it, and I'm pretty pleased with how close it is sticking to the book (with some extra things that make sense--like the Loras/Renly relationship that was just hinted about in the books).
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #57
siraks
use the force

just an update, in case anyone that has hbo. this sunday you can watch 2 episodes. the original aired one (episode 6) and then watch episode 7 a week early by getting it online at hbo go i believe.
i can't really access any of it because i'm in canada and have other means of watching the series but in case you wanted to watch it a week early and give next sunday a night off you have that option.

i'm hoping it'll be available somewhere for me to watch as i'll be away next sunday and getting both episodes in this weekend will be sweet.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #58
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
It was super creepy, but perfect, since it was one of the creepy things in the book too.

I'm loving the series! I reread the entire series to prepare for it, and I'm pretty pleased with how close it is sticking to the book (with some extra things that make sense--like the Loras/Renly relationship that was just hinted about in the books).
hmmm... I hadn't really picked up on that in the books. I was going to post that this was the first real deviation I had seen from the story!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #59
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
hmmm... I hadn't really picked up on that in the books. I was going to post that this was the first real deviation I had seen from the story!
I didn't get it on the first time reading the series, either, but someone mentioned it to me, so I was looking for it on the second go around, and there are hints for sure. Apparently they asked GRRM, and he said, yes, he meant for Renley to be gay. It was actually kind of surprisingly subtle in the books, since GRRM isn't that subtle on other issues of sexuality, you know?

eta: on a random offtopic note, I'm loving the avatars here: kitties AND beautiful dogs!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #60
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I didn't get it on the first time reading the series, either, but someone mentioned it to me, so I was looking for it on the second go around, and there are hints for sure. Apparently they asked GRRM, and he said, yes, he meant for Renley to be gay. It was actually kind of surprisingly subtle in the books, since GRRM isn't that subtle on other issues of sexuality, you know?

eta: on a random offtopic note, I'm loving the avatars here: kitties AND beautiful dogs!
I picked up on it the second time around too, without knowing it was being addressed in the tv version (I don't have HBO and haven't seen anything but the first episode). It is indeed subtle, though.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote