Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #1516
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ since the worst and most likely disaster to befall your kindle is a broken substrate, is there a good rationale for protecting the case and not the screen?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:06 AM   #1517
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
^^^ since the worst and most likely disaster to befall your kindle is a broken substrate, is there a good rationale for protecting the case and not the screen?
I feel that as long as you're protecting the case (and really protecting, not just marketing-speak), it's the same as protecting the screen.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #1518
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm going to try to buy it tomorrow... (if there's still stock available where I saw it the other day)
Soooo... I let you know what my first impressions are (I have a PW1).
superbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #1519
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I have it!

What do you think? On the left the Voyage, on the right, my PW1.

http://s18.postimg.org/5t6q4bdrt/20150326_213353.jpg

It's really responsive and the dictionary works! (on my PW, the dictionary worked when it wanted :P)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #1520
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Well @superbet...

To my eye, your new Voyage is a clear winner. Congratulations!

Sadly, Amazon still has not released them in the Oz market.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #1521
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
superbet, it looks wonderful!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #1522
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I really don't like the while to yellow gradient on the Voyage, but that apart it looks a lot nicer than the PW. Makes you realise just how cold the PW screen is in comparison.... If only they could get it more uniform across the entire screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #1523
superbet
Time Lord

Exactly. When I compared both it was a big difference how cold the PW looked.

Well, I was able to unsubscribe from special offers, Amazon did it for me as I'm an international user
Old 04-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #1524
cailín-dána
Heavy Reader
cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Elonex 500eb, Kindle, Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage
Love it!

I am an infrequent/almost non-exitent poster, but a long-time lurker on the forum. I have been holding off on upgrading from my PW2 to the Voyage due to the gradient issue. I like to keep my screen on a low light anyway, and I thought that might make any issue less noticeable....but I got a gift recently, a voucher for a local electrical store - and I had to have it!

I got it yesterday, and I love it. There is a slight gradient on the screen at maximum/close to maximum lighting, but even in bright light I keep my screen between 5 and 7, so it is not perceptible to me at those levels. The font is so crisp and the screen so responsive. I am like a child with a new toy, my husband thinks it is very amusing!

Now to find the perfect case - I have been trawling the recommendations and will try one or two of them, I think!
cailín-dána is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #1525
Solo1959
Connoisseur
Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 5th gen, and many in the past
I've had my Voyage for about one to now. I absolutely LOVE it. I bought this because I need the page turn buttons. But now that I have been using it I am impressed with how perfect the unit is. The display is amazing, similar to a printed page. I have no gradient... For me the light is even and near white top to bottom and left to right. It feels substantial not like a toy. I love the page turn buttons, they are a deal breaker for me... Gotta have them.. I just love this machine.
Solo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #1526
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Cases,

These fit the Paperwhite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

Lots of variations to choose from which is useful if you are a two Kindle family.

Tony
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #1527
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
Cases,

These fit the Paperwhite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

Lots of variations to choose from which is useful if you are a two Kindle family.

Tony
Keep in mind, though, that with a case made for the paperwhite you won't easily have access to the on-off button on the Voyage.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #1528
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
My mistake.

Those pouches were for our two Voyages.

Silly me.

Tony
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #1529
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
My mistake.

Silly me.

Tony
Sorry--yes the one you linked to is a sleeve, not a case that you would use while reading. For a sleeve it doesn't matter where the buttons and switches are...the only thing that is important is the size.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #1530
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My mistake.

Silly me.

Tony
A sleeve (which this is) will be fine for either the Voyage or the PW, but a PW case won't work at all well with the Voyage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote