Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #676
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I will need to check that then because your approach should work too.

EDIT:
Well I checked it and as expected archive don't need to include root directory. There is no difference between these two directory structures:

X.CBZ
Directory X
Volume 1
Volume 2
X.CBZ
Volume 1
Volume 2

Last edited by AcidWeb; 03-13-2015 at 02:51 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #677
nemanja
nemanja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where can I download Kindle comic conventer 3.0? Please help me.

Last edited by nemanja; 03-14-2015 at 08:49 AM.
nemanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #678
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is there any reason you specifically want the version of KCC that is 23 versions old? If so, I am afraid you are out of luck. Unless you want to download the source code (linked in the OP, just select the right tagged release) and compile it yourself.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:12 AM   #679
nemanja
nemanja began at the beginning.

Device: none
I need a version that works on xp.
nemanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:55 AM   #680
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ah... and KCC uses Qt5 now.

Well, I would in general advise one to ditch WinXP if possible. If you cannot afford new hardware, you can always install linux. I did, my laptop had XP and would never support Vista/7/8 -- but it runs most any linux just fine, and quite smoothly too. Unless the hardware is REALLY old, the processor probably supports sse2.

Failing that, you can build KCC yourself, via the tagged release, just install Qt, python, a few pypi modules, etc... shouldn't be too hard.

Or hope someone has a saved copy of the old installer. Your choice.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #681
Zefhar
Zefhar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Same problem as @Zefhar. Probably I need to make some guide.
FTFY:

Three methods for successfully using KCC

Method 1 - If you don't care about Metadata (Simplest way ever!)
For quick, good-quality, no-nonsense, straightforward Folder-to-MOBI conversion

1. Make sure you have a folder containing the comic/manga pages as digital images, with structure A, B or C* described in KCC Wiki.

2. Start KCC, press "Add Directory" button and browse to select the top level folder of your comic/manga structure.

3. Choose device and output options, then press "Convert" button.

The resulting MOBI ebook will be tagged as following:

Title: The name of the top level folder in your comic/manga structure
Author: KCC

You can now send the MOBI ebook to your device either manually or via third-party software like Calibre (don't do any further conversions to KCC-generated MOBI ebooks as this tends to corrupt the files. Editing the Cover image with Calibre is OK).

---

Method 2 - If you want a little metadata
For an in-device tidy library

1. Make sure you have a folder containing the comic/manga pages as digital images, with structure A, B or C* described in KCC Wiki.

2. Compress the top level folder of your comic/manga structure using ZIP, RAR or 7Z archiving.

3. Rename the archive extension into a Comic Book package:
- for .zip files, change extension to .cbz
- for .rar files, change extension to .cbr
- for .7z files, change extension to .cb7

Important: Do NOT use KCC to create a .CBZ if you intend to further convert it to .MOBI ebook. Double-processing Comic Book images with KCC results in errors.

4. Start KCC, press "Add File" button and browse to select the resulting Comic Book package.

5. Press the "Editor" button to launch the Basic Metadata Editor.

6. Edit metadata to your tastes, press "Ok" button

7. Choose device and output options, then press "Convert" button.

The resulting MOBI ebook will be tagged accordingly.

You can now send the MOBI ebook to your device either manually or via third-party software like Calibre (don't do any further conversions to KCC-generated MOBI ebooks as this tends to corrupt the files. Editing the Cover image with Calibre is OK).

---

Method 3 - If you're totally obsessed with metadata
For huge comic/manga libraries

2. Compress the top level folder of your comic/manga structure using ZIP, RAR or 7Z archiving.

3. Rename the archive extension into a Comic Book package:
- for .zip files, change extension to .cbz
- for .rar files, change extension to .cbr
- for .7z files, change extension to .cb7

Important: Do NOT use KCC to create a .CBZ if you intend to further convert it to .MOBI ebook. Double-processing Comic Book images with KCC results in errors.

4. Use third-party software like ComicTagger or ComicRack to edit all Metadata fields you want. Make sure the writing method complies with ComicRack metadata format and that the changes are saved onto the Comic Book package.

- For Manga: You may add the Manga Cover Database value under "Scan Information" field.

5. Start KCC, press "Add File" button and browse to select the edited Comic Book package.

6. Choose device and output options, then press "Convert" button.

The resulting MOBI ebook will be tagged accordingly.

*Note*: During conversion, KCC makes a Table of Contents that will list Chapters as found in Variant C structure, so name the corresponding folders as you want chapters to be displayed in your device.

=== End of Guide ===

Of course, since I'm not KCC author I may be getting something wrong here, so fix as needed.

EDIT: Included KCC Wiki links.

Peace,

Z.

Last edited by Zefhar; 03-17-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Included KCC Wiki links.
Zefhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #682
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast
RadicalxEdward began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hey guys, hopefully someone here knows the answer to this:

On my Mac (10.10.2) in the firewall settings, I have manually added KCC and set it to allow incoming network connections. but then when I launch KCC it says it can't start the content server.
If i have "automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" checked then it starts the content server, but also pops up a stupid allow/deny incoming net connections box every time i open the app.
OR
If I manually add kindlegen and set that and KCC to allow incoming connections, but unchecked the allow signed software option, i still get the pop up box, but the content server does start.

Does anyone know how to set up the firewall on mac so that I can have both the content server work and not get that annoying pop up every time?

I gotta say, KCC has improved a lot since it first came out. Im glad the new meta data bit was added. Would just love to customize that a bit instead of only having specific fields. I finally have comics that don't say KCC in the author field.
RadicalxEdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #683
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No idea how fix this problem - I'm not OSX user.

KCC already supported metadata for LONG, LONG time. You could overwrite that author field for months(over year?).

There will be no customisation there - It is ComicRack standard.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #684
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
KCC already supported metadata for LONG, LONG time. You could overwrite that author field for months(over year?).

There will be no customisation there - It is ComicRack standard.
The problem i was having was that when converting to mobi for kindle pw, it creates an ePub inside a mobi essentially. which means that when calibre would go to edit the metadata it would edit the mobi, not what was inside. but the kindle was reading what was inside (or vice versa, i don't know exactly) so I could get all the meta data perfect just by editing it in calibre after converting, but the kindle would still show KCC as author.

Where have you ever been able to write in your own metadata for KCC (until the setup it has now) aside from whatever it took from the file name?(and don't forget, windows/mac versions haven't always been perfectly synced so idk what it's like on the windows side)

and as far as doing a comicrack based standard, isn't comicrack (I keep reading it as comi-crack lol) not available on mac?
Old 04-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #685
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast

I don't know how big your mac fanbase is, so i don't expect kcc to always have every feature be cross platform, but macs are a rapidly growing user base, so wouldn't it make more sense to standardize on features that are cross platform?

(thanks for your super quick response acid web)

and what i meant about customized metadata is like when i enter a comic as say:

The Walking Dead
Volume 1
Issue 3
Author Robert Kirkman
Ink Tony Moore

It comes out with a title based on file name, as usual, but if you set everything from metadata (in calibre for instance) the title comes out: The Walking Dead V1 #3
But what if people (like me) don't want that naming scheme? What if they want:
The Walking Dead Vol. 1 Issue 3 or The Walking Dead V01I01 or something else?

I love this app, so i'm not trying to be a dick about it. Just trying to give my view on the topic.

Last edited by RadicalxEdward; 04-10-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #686
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

No no no KCC don't create any epub-mobi mutant - It use official KindleGen that create official hybrid (MOBI+KF8) MOBI files. And Calibre simply don't support them. That is reason why it fail to edit metadata.

KCC could read ComicRack metadata for months - Just don't had editor. User was forced to use other supported metadata editor like ComicRack or ComicTagger (this one is avaible on OS X) - everything was in documentation.

OSX and Windows versions are always synced. All KCC features are available on all platforms.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #687
Pachycephalosaur
Pachycephalosaur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HDX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsonthewing View Post
Hi AcidWeb,

I wanted to report something odd happening with KCC created MOBI files on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (running Fire OS 4.5.3). When I try and read them on the Kindle, all I see is are blank white pages. However, they have the correct number of pages, it's just that no images are appearing. I'm sending them to my device with Calibre, and have tried removing all KCC created files and rebooting and resending them to no avail. Normal book MOBIs work fine.
I'm having the exact same problem, (White/blank pages not appearing) with a Kindle Fire HDX 7, running Fire OS 4.5.3. Though I move the MOBI files directly from the PC to the Kindle's internal books folder.

It seems that it's conflicting with the new OS , since there was never an issue until the update. With all converted files already on the kindle, facing the same white/blank pages problem.

A factory reset seems to do the trick, So if you backup all your data/files on your kindle first, then reset it, that should fix the problem.

Last edited by Pachycephalosaur; 04-21-2015 at 01:43 AM. Reason: possible solution
Pachycephalosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #688
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
NTFS and Linux

KCC seems to think that it failed to create an ePub (even though it created the ePub correctly) if the comic being converted is on a NTFS drive, and KCC is running on Linux. Since it thinks that it failed to create an ePub, it never goes on to create a MOBI file. This wouldn't be a big problem if the GUI allowed selecting the output directory.

Edit: It probably stops the process when it gets an 'Operation Not Permitted' error from the file system - either for setting the timestamps, or for setting the permission. I'm not sure which one of the two KCC attempts to do.

Last edited by Sukarn; 04-26-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #689
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Yes. Trying to convert files that are on NTFS partition when using Linux client will definitively fail.

Fixing that would require extensive workarounds and I probably will not invest my time to fix that.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 04-26-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #690
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Fair enough. Would you perhaps be willing to add an option to the GUI for selecting the output directory like the --output command in the command-line version kcc-c2e? Please?
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools