Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
1.04 sd recovery

Hi folks,

I modified porkupan's old sd recovery package such that it restores to stock firmware 1.04.

IT IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR ANY OTHER FIRMWARE VERSION AS THE KERNEL IS ASSUMED TO BE 1.04 COMPATIBLE

Kernel / initial ramdisk / boot area / recovery kernel / root fs are untouched by this package!

BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR FILES ON THE READER!

At the moment there exist two packages.

To apply any of the rescue packages you need to unzip the file to the root of a micro sd card and follow the steps in the wiki.

1.) Charge battery to 100% or you may brick your reader on power failure!!!
2.) Power off the reader (keep power pressed until it asks to shutdown and press yes) if reader is frozen, press RESET button to power it off.
3.) Press HOME and MENU simultaneously, keep it pressed while powering on the reader and wait until the progress bar has reached 100%
4.) Now you can release HOME and MENU (this is crucial, don't release earlier!)
5.) Now it will take up to 20min for the rescue process to finish
6.) Reader should reboot automatically, if not - assure that the LED for the micro sd slot does not blink anymore and press RESET. Release and power on the reader.
7.) Reader should now ask for initial settings. Also there should be a file on the internal sd named diag.log, that tells if rescue did complete.

Package 1
The package does

1.) format reader partition (=internal sd card, mmcblk2p4)
2.) restore data partition from porkupans recovery set
3.) restore 1.04 system partition from porkupans recovery set

This package has been reported to work.

Download: sdrescue_1.04_porkupan.7z (72.332.505 Bytes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Package 2
This package is supposed to

1.) format reader partition (=internal sd card, mmcblk2p4)
2.) format data partition mmcblk2p9 such that it get's re-initialized on next boot
3.) restore 1.04 system partition on mmcblk2p10 with stock files, but reformated file system to have more inodes which is handy for rooting the device later on (busybox creates lots of symlinks which consume an inode each)

Download: rescue_1.04.zip

There are reports of the reader being unable to store settings with this packages and asking for initial settings on every boot. I don't know why because the formating of the data partition is done exactly like factory reset would do.

Anyways - there are also reports that this package works. So, if you try the 2nd package, please report back to me if it works!

Last edited by uboot; 07-19-2012 at 02:25 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
simongee
T1 rooter
simongee doesn't littersimongee doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
hey uboot, i plan to go back to stock 1.04 before updating my rupor root-package. I always do it, although i read rupor posting that its not necessary.
Anyway, what is the difference between your package and the "Rescue Set 1.0.04.12210" done by boroda/porkupan from this thread:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21458

I always used those packages, also back then for 1.03
simongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

The restore sets you mentioned are safer to apply

SD rescue is only necessary when all other attemts fail, for instance when the reader won't boot up (e.g. showing rotating arrows forever, etc.) such that you cannot simply connect to the computer and appy restore set.

Also, SD rescue formats data and reader partition to assure that everything is complete re-initialized.

The restore sets won't do that...

My hope is, that the new recue set will fix issues like reader not shutting down anymore...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
networm
networm began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi,uboot
My T1 can't boot up now,it stop in"opening book"screen and the progress bar don't move .Does this package fit for this one.BTW,I can login with the recovery mode.How can I do for this?Help!
networm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
uboot
Evangelist

give me more details please, what did you do with you reader such that it doesn't boot up?

if you can get into recovery console, than the rescue package can be applied.

but you can also try to format your data partition and reader partition manually from recovery console and see if that helps.

unless you didn't mess up system partition earlier, of course

Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L data -m 0 -j /dev/mmcblk2p9
mkdosfs -n READER -F 32 /dev/mmcblk2p4
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
wsantos
wsantos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 SONY
Question PRST1 RESCUE DIDN'T WORK

Hi guys,
My PRS-T1 was frozen and I tryed to use 1.04 sd recovery, but I don't know
why it doesn't work.
I bought my device about 1 mounth ago and a week ago I rooted it with minimal root set (http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458).
It was working very well and how I am very curious I began install some app.
After that, I tried to enable Adhoc WiFi on it (Getting the T1 to recognize ad-hoc networks, e.g. mobile hotspots). The process is on wiki and http://androidtablethacks.com/androi...droid-tablets/. Unfortunately, it happened a problem and in the process I lost 2 files (\system\bin\"racoon" and "ppd"), because I don't know why after I moved the file wpa_supplicant from there to SDCARD to replace to another new file I couldn't do this without move that 2 files (there is not free space).
So, in the end after I shout down my device it frozen (try opening book, but it can´t).
I tried to recovery by your 1.04 sd recovery (I made a copy to micro SD OF "OS Firmware"). The yellow lith worked one day and didn't stop, just after I pushed reset). Now I don't know what can I do, because when I conect it in my computer it show just drive I:, J: and K: and I don't have acess to them.
Can I do anything else before to send to exchange (I don't know if Sony will be exchange, because I thing my warranty is broken now).

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
give me more details please, what did you do with you reader such that it doesn't boot up?

if you can get into recovery console, than the rescue package can be applied.

but you can also try to format your data partition and reader partition manually from recovery console and see if that helps.

unless you didn't mess up system partition earlier, of course

Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L data -m 0 -j /dev/mmcblk2p9
mkdosfs -n READER -F 32 /dev/mmcblk2p4
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
wsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
+Kardboard+
+Kardboard+ began at the beginning.

Hi uboot, can you confirm the proper size of update.img? The wiki says 314.6 MB, but I've downloaded it at least three times and it only extracts out to exactly 300 MB. Tried to download on different computers too.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
uboot
Evangelist

I finally found time to re-check everything and re-uploaded the file.

The proper size of update.img is 314.572.800 Bytes.

And - more important - the file system of update.img somehow was corrupted, the files responsible for flashing the reader were not corrupted at last, but maybe this was the cause for the sd recovery not working... I recreated it and ran fsck on it, should be ok now.

Last edited by uboot; 06-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
I've done this a few times, but it never reboots by itself. When I do force a reboot, it brings me to initialization screen. But every time I shutdown, and restart it, it returns to initialization/configuration. Any reason for this?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
uboot
Evangelist

missing reboot after sd recovery is normal. that was the case with the old image too.

but is there a log file on sd card after sd recovery? it should contain something like "sd recovery finished".

also: have you removed sd card after sd recovery?

and: what do android logs say after initialisation?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Leeward
Leeward began at the beginning.

Device: NookSTG, Kobo Aura 2 H20 Version 2
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
I've done this a few times, but it never reboots by itself. When I do force a reboot, it brings me to initialization screen. But every time I shutdown, and restart it, it returns to initialization/configuration. Any reason for this?
I had the exact same problem.

History:

1) I wanted to reroot using rupor's AMR so:

a) I used the 1.03 restore pack from the wiki (boroda/porkupan ?) to restore back to default.
b) All appeared ok. except for a few left over files on the "reader" partition.
c) I did a factory hard reset which cleaned out all the leftover files.
d) I did a factory firmware update to 1.04. everything appeared ok.
e) I used uboot's sd recovery to get more inodes. Everything appeared ok.
f) created a backup
g) Rooted with rupor's AMR. superuser would not work.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=179445&page=2

2) After seeing uboot's post in this thread about a problem with his 1.04 sd rescue file... I decided to try again using version posted at the start of this thread.
a) I waited 2 hrs, during recovery, until the power light was flashing but the SD card light was not flashing. then I waited some more..
b) I had to do a reset to get it to boot.
c) every time it booted.. the initialization would start..(same problem you are having)

3) Soooo I decided to try once again... this time using the 1.04 restore from the wiki (Porkupan ?)
a) That APPEARED to work correctly. It went through the initialization (country, date, time) on reboot and booted correctly afterwards.

b) I then did a factory hard reset. Everything appeared to work ok.

4) I tried rooting with rupor's AMR.
a) I went into "data transfer mode".. copied the files to the "reader" etc.
b) The update SEEMED to be ok. it rebooted automatically.
c) "loading book.. 100%... power light stops flashing.... nothing happens

5) I have repeated section 3 and 4 above with same result

Not sure what i should do now... uboot: any ideas ?

Last edited by Leeward; 06-15-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Corrected some details...
Leeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
uboot
Evangelist

Ok, so at least the 'corrupted' 1.04 sd recovery image did not cause corruption in practise...

I created an alternative image now, that only formats the reader partition and flashes data and system partition with images from porkupans 1.04 restore package:

sdrescue_1.04_porkupan.7z (72.332.505 Bytes)

I also did some minor modifications that hopefully fix the reboot issue.

Last edited by uboot; 06-15-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Leeward
Leeward began at the beginning.

Device: NookSTG, Kobo Aura 2 H20 Version 2
Hi uboot, thanks for all your efforts in creating these software packages !

Question: Does your 1.04SD rescue or your new modified package completely revert a prs-t1 back to 100% stock ? or is there something left behind ?

I recall reading that either the Prs-t1 or the Nook Simple Touch have files that are specific to each unit.

--

I have restored my non-root backup at this point.
Should I try your SD Rescue 1.04 Porkupan, do another backup, and try rooting at that point ? or simply try doing rupor's AMR root again from my older backup ?

The problem is.... I have no idea if my problems were caused by:
A)Doing a factory firmware upgrade on a unit that had already been rooted and restored
B)Issues caused by the corrupt image in your previously posted SDrescue 1.04
C)Some issue related to rupor's AMR root package
D)Some problem caused by some data transfer error during installation of the one of the above.
E) Some problem caused by some combination of A,B,C,D,X
E) Evil Fairies who hate knowledge and are trying to prevent people from reading

Having dealt with computer hardware since the Coleco Adam and Sinclair SX, I am betting on evil fairies. hehe

If i knew the answer I could help ensure the problem doesn't happen for others.

--

I should mention that at step 1G in my list above, everything else worked fine. In fact, I didn't realize that superuser wasn't working right until i attempted to delete the battery stats file.

Last edited by Leeward; 06-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Leeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
+Kardboard+
+Kardboard+ began at the beginning.

Quote:
I finally found time to re-check everything and re-uploaded the file.

The proper size of update.img is 314.572.800 Bytes.

And - more important - the file system of update.img somehow was corrupted, the files responsible for flashing the reader were not corrupted at last, but maybe this was the cause for the sd recovery not working... I recreated it and ran fsck on it, should be ok now.
Just downloaded. Looks correct.
Quote:
Ok, so at least the 'corrupted' 1.04 sd recovery image did not cause corruption in practise...

I created an alternative image now, that only formats the reader partition and flashes data and system partition with images from porkupans 1.04 restore package:

sdrescue_1.04_porkupan.7z (72.332.505 Bytes)

I also did some minor modifications that hopefully fix the reboot issue.
So this one doesn't format the data and system partitions, but the first package does?
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
uboot
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
So this one doesn't format the data and system partitions, but the first package does?
Yes. The first one formats reader and data partition - as factory reset would do.

The last one only formats reader partition and restores data and system partition according to porkupan's 1.04 restore set.