Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #46
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
I'd love to see pictures of a blue and a yellow taken separately from one another but posted side by side then. Has this been posted anywhere?
Here you go.

Note that the blotchiness is due to the too low level of light for the camera. Both Glo's are perfectly sharp in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow-blue.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	103798  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #47
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Here you go.

Note that the blotchiness is due to the too low level of light for the camera. Both Glo's are perfectly sharp in real life.
Thanks! I can definitely see the difference and now I wish mine was the yellow variety. Lol!
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #48
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I think I'll stick to my blue model, I just prefer the look of the whiter light.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #49
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I want a red model, so I can read at night on the submarine...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Is night different from day on a submarine?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #52
armarni
armarni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here's my very recent experience of this issue (just to muddy the waters further!)

I bought a Silver Kobo Glo a few days ago in WHSmiths (Kobo retail partner in the UK.) I found the light far too bright for night reading and as a result stumbled upon this thread.

This 1st glo had a serial number of 613A29xxxxxxx, identified in this thread as being an earlier model, and indeed it had a light that was very blue and very bright. I took it back the next day and they checked their remaining stock, which was all 613A, so I got a refund and went to Asda Walhmart to check their stock. They had a 613B model, so I purchased it, thinking that it would have the yellower, dimmer led's. However, this model also had a blue cast to the lighting, and was equally bright on a brightness setting of 2 (setting it to 1 causes it not to come on again if switched off). This particular unit also had a very inferior screen in regards to ghosting.

I had always assumed that all eink screens (using the same generation technology) would be equal, but the screen on this second unit held the image from the previous page far more visibly than the previous unit. So much so that I could make out what actual words had been on the previous screen if the new page had white in that part of the page. Also, if I used the brightness control, the box that had surrounded it would be visible as a faint but still quite distinct image until the next full refresh.

Naturally, I took this unit back, and then returned to WHSmiths hoping to get my original unit back. They couldn't find it, but I bought another one from them. This had a serial number 613A2Bxxxxxxx. It has a light which I would describe as blueish, but much less harsh than the original blue light. In terms of brightness I would say that it is no different to the other 2 that I tried, but the screen doesn't display the horrendous ghosting of the 2nd unit. I've attached a photo of it on brightness setting 2/100.

So, to some up my experience, a serial number starting 613B is not a guarantee of getting the more yellow light, and some eink screens have far worse ghosting than others
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0577.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	120483  
armarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #53
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
My GF and I both have Kobo Touches and love them. Lately I've been wanting to get a back lit e-reader, and being a Kobo fan I've looked at the Glo and Aura. Although I like Kobo's functionality, I haven't been that impressed with the quality of their back-lighting to date especially compared to the Kindle PW2. I find the PW2's back-lighting to be amazing. The back ground is pure white and the text is pure and sharp black. I wish Kobo 6” models had a display like that.

That been said, I'm not in hurry to get a back lit ereader and, as I've said above, I very much like Kobo's functionality (I'm sure Kindle's is very good too, but I don't want to take a chance given that I'm already very satisfied with Kobo's functionality) - and we live in Canada - so I'd like to stick with Kobo.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'll just have to wait until Kobo's next generation of back lit ereaders to see if they've improved their display to the level of the PW2.

Am I imagining that the Kindle PW2 display is much better than the current Kobo Glo or Aura (be they blue or yellow or whatever)?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #54
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
Am I imagining that the Kindle PW2 display is much better than the current Kobo Glo or Aura (be they blue or yellow or whatever)?
Opinions differ, and it really is quite subjective. Some people prefer the slightly bluish cast that you get on the Glo. I personally prefer the more yellow/white than the blue/white and I think the Kindle PW2 is that bit better than both the Glo and the Aura. However, if you like the slightly bigger screen of the Aura HD, then it is arguably looks the best of the lot.

It is also worth noting there is a difference between those with the infra-red touch screen (Glo & Aura HD) and those with the capacitive touch screen (Aura & PW). They seem to be finding it a little more difficult to get a really clear screen with the capacitive touch models, which is why the Aura HD looks good even in comparison to the PW2 (which has the very latest eink screen tech).

Incidentally, the Kindle PW suffers similar issues with variance of the 'quality' of the light that is mentioned in this thread, when the light is on, some have a slightly bluish tinge, others more yellow, it seems to be a manufacturing issue of the lighted readers that there is some variance in them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #55
armarni
armarni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I managed to take a picture of the screen with bad ghosting in case it's of interest to anybody. You could actually make out the words that had appeared on the previous page, where as the replacement doesn't display this trait, and it was very distracting when trying to read.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0584.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	120598  
armarni is offline   Reply With Quote