Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Aleks
Edge User

A Bit Frustrated with my New Edge

I am having several problems with my new unit. Please note that I have updated to the newest software version. The problems are as follows:

First, as I am plugging the charger into the wall I notice sparking at the plug/wall socket before the plug sets in. This happens at whatever wall outlet I use. I do not think that this is normal.

Second, I set the LCD screen to power down after one minute which it does successfully. However, after a few minutes (time varies) the LCD side powers back up and then after a minute powers down.

Third, my page turns for pdf files (regardless of size) is on the order of 3-5 seconds. Is this normal?

Fourth, for no apparent reason my WiFi will disconnect regardless of distance to the router for no apparent reason and not reconnect until several power downs.

Fifth, upon unplugging the charger from the wall and unit, the LED light on the charger remains lit for about 30 seconds. Is this normal?

Sixth, for no apparent reason the unit will temporarily (for 10-15 seconds) lock up with no response to touching the LCD screen by finger or pen.

I submitted a trouble ticket to tech support and depending upon their answers, I may have to return the unit as I am a bit disappointed at the problems listed. I just may decide that I do not want to keep the unit but wait for generation two or pursue a similar product.

Aleks

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
done
Edge User

I am sorry that you have been experiencing so many problems with your eDGe. It is very unusual to have all of these issues at once. I spoke with the support team to escalate your issue.

Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
. . .
Third, my page turns for pdf files (regardless of size) is on the order of 3-5 seconds. Is this normal?
I think this maybe a matter of the complexity of the document -- How much text and graphics appear on the page? Looking at one of my design documents with a couple fonts, frequent blank lines, and few pictures I count just less than two seconds to turn pages. The edge User Manual with a little tighter text and more graphics takes just over two seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Fifth, upon unplugging the charger from the wall and unit, the LED light on the charger remains lit for about 30 seconds. Is this normal?
Same thing happens here, and actually, yes, this is normal for power bricks. This happens with most power adapters as the residual charge dissipates.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Aleks
Edge User

The Documents I am viewing are from google books wiht no graphics just text. I do agree that the manual is about two seconds for me. I guess I expected a quicker page turn rate for some reason.

The charger remaning lit may be due to the fact that it is a transformer that holds the charge a little bit.

Still, I am a bit frustrated.

Aleks

Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
brauckmiller
Edge User

Hey, regarding your PDF refresh issue, can you compare it to this? I posted it today for people to see the refresh speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivTPgMYwQY

It is slower then I expected compared to my wife's Kindle, but then again, the screen is almost twice as big and has more real estate to refresh.

Thanks

Craig

Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
dcubed2
Edge User

I've noticed drastically different page turn rate depending on the type of file. Unfortunately, Google Books pdfs are very long. Many Google books also have an epub format, and I've found those to be much faster. Google Books epub are ocr, so the zoom, highlight, etc tools work. On the Google pdf files I've tried, they are image files so no searching, highlighting, etc (which is no different from when I opened those same pdfs on my pc, with Adobe 8.1 - no search, highlighting, etc). Also, Project Gutenberg books seem to be epub ocr. They page faster than the Google pdfs, too. Probably because they aren't image files, but text.

These are my own observations, based on the books that I've downloaded. Your books are likely different and may produce different results. But it's something to look at.

Oh, yes, I also have the lcd turning itself on (even when on the floor with no-one near it). Don't know what to tell you about that one. Wifi is great in my house, and I can browse faster on my eDGe than on our ancient Win XP laptop. I've never had it 'lose' the connection. Hope tech support can help you on that.

Last edited by dcubed2; 04-07-2010 at 02:31 PM.