Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
twibbs
twibbs began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Dc creator problem

I feel like I am going mad. Well maybe I am, but can anyone help me with this problem:
I'm making epubs from Indesign (cs5.5) and tweaking them in calibre. Everyhing looks OK but when I try to validate them (on Threepress) I'm getting this error:

ERROR: In Search of the Promised Land_ The Politics of Post-War Ireland - Gary Murphy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(4): attribute "role" not allowed here; expected attribute "file-as", "id", "role" or "xml:lang"
ERROR: In Search of the Promised Land_ The Politics of Post-War Ireland - Gary Murphy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(4): attribute "file-as" not allowed here; expected attribute "file-as", "id", "role" or "xml:lang"
Here is a section from my content.opf file:

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Murphy, Gary">Gary Murphy</dc:creator>

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting the same error from all my epubs out of calibre.
I was doing some post production work in Sigil which did give me valid epubs but Sigil completed ruined all the linked footnotes in the documents (and there are hundreds!) but that's another story!
Would love to hear if anyone has a solution.
twibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that has got to be the stupidest error message I have ever seen. Try deleting the opfrefix before file-as and role to convince epubcheck that all is good with the world.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
twibbs

no joy

Thanks for the quick response, but no joy with that fix. am still getting the same error:
ERROR: In Search of the Promised Land_ The Politics of Post-War Ireland - Gary Murphy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(4): attribute "role" not allowed here; expected attribute "file-as", "id", "role" or "xml:lang"
ERROR: In Search of the Promised Land_ The Politics of Post-War Ireland - Gary Murphy.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(4): attribute "file-as" not allowed here; expected attribute "file-as", "id", "role" or "xml:lang"

Even when I delete out any role etc and just have the names it still doesnt work. sigh
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by twibbs View Post
Thanks for the quick response, but no joy with that fix. am still getting the same error:

Even when I delete out any role etc and just have the names it still doesnt work. sigh
I believe you were just supposed to delete the OPF: part(s)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
twibbs

I did. My line now reads: <dc:creator role="aut" file-as="Murphy, Gary">Gary Murphy</dc:creator>

also tried just <dc:creator >Gary Murphy</dc:creator>
but that doesn't work either.
What am I missing?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who knows, epubcheck is about as useful as a sick headache. Those error messages are obviously bogus. You need to figure out what epubcheck actually means by them. If you post the full OPF file, someone may be able to spot it, though with epubcheck, there are no guarantees that the error is actually in the OPF file.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
twibbs

Can anyone recommend a different validator tool. I thought this was the standard but obviously not!

Heres my content.opf
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">
	<metadata>
		<meta name="generator" content="Adobe InDesign"/>
		<meta name="cover" content="x187.png"/>
		<dc:title>In Search of the Promised Land: The Politics of Post-War Ireland, 1945-1961</dc:title>

<dc:subject></dc:subject>
		<dc:description>In In Search of the Promised Land, Gary Murphy argues against the thesis of Tom Garvin and his work, Preventing the Future. In that book, Garvin argues that old culture, old ideas and the repression of the Church held Ireland’s development in check through the 1940s and 1950s. 

Gary Murphy suggests that our government and civil service leaders were in fact open to change and new ideas and this openness led them to adopt outward-looking policies. He accepts that some policy-makers were reluctant to accept any compromise on sovereignty or Ireland’s self reliance even though in the long term, these compromises opened the economy and brought employment and success. 

It was the fresh thinking that came from within the country that eventually led to the association with Europe and the joining of the EEC. Far from holding the country back, the post-war leadership and culture was seeking new ways to deal with the nation’s challenges.</dc:description>
<dc:creator role="aut" file-as="Murphy, Gary">Gary Murphy</dc:creator>
		<dc:publisher>Mercier Press</dc:publisher>
		<dc:date>2011-06-24</dc:date>
		<dc:source></dc:source>
		<dc:relation></dc:relation>
		<dc:coverage></dc:coverage>
		<dc:rights>Gary Murphy, 2009</dc:rights>
		<dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>
		<dc:identifier id="bookid"></dc:identifier>
	</metadata>
	<manifest>
		<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
		<item id="css" href="template.css" media-type="text/css"/>
		<item id="Cover" href="Cover.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="dedication" href="dedication.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Frontis" href="Frontis.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Copyright" href="Copyright.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Glossary-of-Abbreviations" href="Glossary%20of%20Abbreviations.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Governments-of-Ireland--1923-2009" href="Governments%20of%20Ireland%2c%201923%e2%80%932009.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Introduction-The-Promised-Land" href="Introduction%20The%20Promised%20Land.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x1.-The-War-was-Over--but-the-Emergency-was-Not-" href="1.%20The%20War%20was%20Over%2c%20but%20the%20Emergency%20was%20Not%20.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x2.-This-Dark-and-Dismal-Land-" href="2.%20This%20Dark%20and%20Dismal%20Land%20.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x3.-Opening-Out" href="3.%20Opening%20Out.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x4.-A-National-Government-for-Ireland" href="4.%20A%20National%20Government%20for%20Ireland.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x5.-Owners--Workers-and-Farmers--The-Interest-group-Experience-" href="5.%20Owners%2c%20Workers%20and%20Farmers-%20The%20Interest-group%20Experience%20.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x6.-Exploring-Faraway-Lands" href="6.%20Exploring%20Faraway%20Lands.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Acknowledgements" href="Acknowledgements.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Bibliography-" href="Bibliography%20.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="Conclusion" href="Conclusion.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="BackofEbook" href="BackofEbook.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item id="x187.png" href="images/187.png" media-type="image/png"/>
		<item id="Facebook-Logo_fmt.jpeg" href="images/Facebook-Logo_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
		<item id="In-20search-20of-20the-20promis_fmt.png" href="images/In%20search%20of%20the%20promis_fmt.png" media-type="image/png"/>
		<item id="mercier_fmt.jpeg" href="images/mercier_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
		<item id="MercierStackedBlack_fmt.png" href="images/MercierStackedBlack_fmt.png" media-type="image/png"/>
		<item id="Promised-20LandFrontis_fmt.jpeg" href="images/Promised%20LandFrontis_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
		<item id="twitter_fmt.jpeg" href="images/twitter_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
	</manifest>
	<spine toc="ncx">
		<itemref idref="Cover"/>
		<itemref idref="dedication"/>
		<itemref idref="Frontis"/>
		<itemref idref="Copyright"/>
		<itemref idref="Glossary-of-Abbreviations"/>
		<itemref idref="Governments-of-Ireland--1923-2009"/>
		<itemref idref="Introduction-The-Promised-Land"/>
		<itemref idref="x1.-The-War-was-Over--but-the-Emergency-was-Not-"/>
		<itemref idref="x2.-This-Dark-and-Dismal-Land-"/>
		<itemref idref="x3.-Opening-Out"/>
		<itemref idref="x4.-A-National-Government-for-Ireland"/>
		<itemref idref="x5.-Owners--Workers-and-Farmers--The-Interest-group-Experience-"/>
		<itemref idref="x6.-Exploring-Faraway-Lands"/>
		<itemref idref="Acknowledgements"/>
		<itemref idref="Bibliography-"/>
		<itemref idref="Conclusion"/>
		<itemref idref="BackofEbook"/>
	</spine>
</package>
Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use flightcrew (part of Sigil) it tends to have much better error messages.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As per this:

http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF_2.0...m#Section2.2.2

that creator element is perfectly valid.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by twibbs View Post
I did. My line now reads: <dc:creator role="aut" file-as="Murphy, Gary">Gary Murphy</dc:creator>

also tried just <dc:creator >Gary Murphy</dc:creator>
but that doesn't work either.
What am I missing?
Below is what I use:

<dc:creator opf:file-as="Bell, Alex" opf:role="aut">Alex Bell</dc:creator>

which validates with ePubCheck.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Marie_D
Marie_D began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Twibbs

I am also using InDesign CS5.5 and have come across a problem in its revised export to epub function. If you leave the 'unique identifier' field blank in the export options, Indesign is supposed to insert a random unique identifier automatically. I have noticed that this is not happening in epubs that I make, and same seems to be happening with you. Your quoted .opf file reads <dc:identifier id="bookid"></dc:identifier>. A unique reference should be inserted before the closing tag. Unfortunately, epubcheck 1.2 is not detecting this as an error, even though this information is required in all epubs!
Marie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Marie_D
Marie_D began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Twibbs

Sorry, but forgot to mention in my post above that unique identifier is also not being inserted by InDesign CS5.5 in .ncx file
Marie_D is offline   Reply With Quote