Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Calibre server on Mac

I have set up the calibre server on my Mac Pro and I have to admit, I was blown away with the way it looks.

When I click on the Test Server button, up comes a beautiful page with links for Newest, All books, etc. Fantastic. It is a delight to navigate.

In Safari's address bar I have: http://127.0.0.1.1:8080/browse.

When I look at my Network address in my preferences, my machine has been allocated the address 10.0.1.176 by my Airport Express router.

Now, if I go to 10.0.1.188:8080/ in Safari on my iPad while on my WIFI network, I don't see the same page as that I describe above. I get a condensed version: a small icon, the EPUB button which starts the download and a brief description of the title.

If I type http://127.0.0.1.1:8080/browse in Safari on the iPad while on my WIFI network, I get a message that Safari could not connect to the server.

How can I get the same page to appear on the iPad as the page that appears when Safari is showing http://127.0.0.0.1:8080 while I am at home?

I have port forwarding on my router to my Mac Pro's address. Because my ISP has dynamic IP addresses, I have set up an account with DYNDNS. If I am away from home, I can see the server on my Mac so I know that my port forwarding works (at least for my Mac's server).

What do I need to do to access the full featured page of the Calibre server when away from home?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I have spent two hours trying to get this to work to no avail.
kakkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
First off, the 127.0.0.1 is a computers internal loopback address as in it feeds every packet it sends back to itself. So, obviously, connecting to that address on your iPad will do nothing for you, as you already saw.
Apart from that, your use of IP addresses is somewhat inconsistent. You say that your machine, which I presume to be the one running the server, is assigned 10.0.1.176 by your router, yet you connect to 10.0.1.188 with your iPad and, curiously enough, get a Calibre server. Unless there's a typo somewhere, I don't understand that.
Third, you'll get different looks of the Calibre server depending on which device you use to connect to it. If you just call the address of the machine you're running the server on, it will autodetect your device and try to feed you the most appropriate page. If you append /browse to the address, you'll see the full-featured page you saw on your Mac. /mobile opens the page for mobile devices, which I believe is the page you saw on your iPad. /old is the old interface, obviously, while /feed is a OPDS feed you can use in a compatible application.
As to your port forwarding, I don't understand the problem. You say that you can see "the server" when away, so I presume everything works? You'd then only have to replace the internal IP of the server with your DynDNS address.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
kakkalla
Zealot

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You're a genius.

1. It works on my iPad now (while on my WIFI network). I type XX.0.1.188/browse and I get the full feature page. My apologies, my Mac's address is 10.0.1.188.

2. My DNS name is xxx.dyndns.org. How can I access the calibre page now? Do I type:
http://XXX.dyndns.org/localhost:8080/browse? I tried this but it doesn't work.

Thanks again. You're a marvel.

I found the answer quite by accident. I need to type:
www.xxx.dyndns.org:8080/browse and it works!

THANK YOU so much!

Last edited by kakkalla; 01-19-2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If I were you, I wouldn't necessarily want to publish the address of your computer in here. Just saying.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
kakkalla
Zealot

Good idea. Thanks.
Advert