Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
User report of darker PDF fonts in K3? Contrast feature

Hi, I haven't read anyone reporting about the actual working of the new "adjust contrast" feature on the K3. Does it make a difference in actual use? Can't wait to have it pushed to my KDXG...

Thanks!
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
Hi, I haven't read anyone reporting about the actual working of the new "adjust contrast" feature on the K3. Does it make a difference in actual use? Can't wait to have it pushed to my KDXG...

Thanks!
I've got a magazine subscription that comes as PDFs and as the text is pretty small on the Kindle 3, I have to use the contrast option to make the text darker. So yes. It does make a difference.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Great, thanks - I wanted to know if it was a gimmick or if it made a difference.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

With contrast the default setting is Default oddly enough. You can set the contrast in PDFs to Lightest, Lighter, Default, Darker, or Darkest, as shown in these screen captures:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-pdf-lightest-contrast.gif
Views:	310
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	57724   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-pdf-lighter-contrast.gif
Views:	284
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	57725   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-pdf-default-contrast.gif
Views:	301
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	57726   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-pdf-darker-contrast.gif
Views:	310
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	57727   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-pdf-darkest-contrast.gif
Views:	304
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	57728  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
guiyoforward
Zealot

Wow, this is what I needed to see... Thanks JS.
Now, that looks like a PDF from a scanned page to me, which means that the PDF contrast is a "general image" setting rather than an anti-aliasing tweak. Do you notice any difference in a PDF created with, say, Word + Times New Roman?
Thanks again
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Wow, this is what I needed to see... Thanks JS.
Now, that looks like a PDF from a scanned page to me, which means that the PDF contrast is a "general image" setting rather than an anti-aliasing tweak. Do you notice any difference in a PDF created with, say, Word + Times New Roman?
Thanks again
The contrast setting affects everything on a page. The magazine I subscribe to seems to directly output these PDF files from whatever application they use to layout the magazine. The text is actually text and if the PDF reader is being slow, I can see the multiple layers used to generate some of the layout. Everything changes contrast from text to images when you change that setting.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
guiyoforward
Zealot

Thanks. This question is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be more efficient if they "flattened" the images so you don't suffer from the layers loading one by one?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. This question is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be more efficient if they "flattened" the images so you don't suffer from the layers loading one by one?
Yup. No idea why they don't. I looked at the PDF and the application field is QuarkXPress 8.16 so I assume that is what they're doing the page layout for the physical version of the magazine.

The magazine is Circuit Cellar if anybody is curious.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Just as guiyoforward, I can't wait for this to be implemented in the DXG: loads of documents I peruse suffer from poor contrast on the DXG, this is a very important feature to me.
It's quite shocking that Amazon released so many PDF improvements for the K3 but there has been no word of them implemented on the DX/DXG who are the best suited readers for PDF documents anyway. I recommend all users interested to submit feedback to Amazon requesting to implement them
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlematic View Post
It's quite shocking that Amazon released so many PDF improvements for the K3 but there has been no word of them implemented on the DX/DXG who are the best suited readers for PDF documents anyway. I recommend all users interested to submit feedback to Amazon requesting to implement them
I'd expect something for the DXG at least as that came out only just before the Kindle 3. Amazon were probably just busy handling the Kindle 3 launch so everything else got put on hold.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I'd expect something for the DXG at least as that came out only just before the Kindle 3. Amazon were probably just busy handling the Kindle 3 launch so everything else got put on hold.
It wouldn't cost much to Amazon to say something like "we'll provide the additional PDF features to the DXG before the end of the year" (for example). Had I not bought it already, I would now definitely wait until this is officially confirmed before buying a DXG.
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlematic View Post
It wouldn't cost much to Amazon to say something like "we'll provide the additional PDF features to the DXG before the end of the year" (for example). Had I not bought it already, I would now definitely wait until this is officially confirmed before buying a DXG.
Amazon seem to be fairly secretive about firmware updates for the Kindles. They don't tell you everything that was changed and don't publicly announce any new versions. Some people have mentioned that they're testing 3.0.1 for the Kindle 3 which apparently solves some of the crashing issues but there has been no announcement by Amazon themselves.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
does the K3 have a much better screen than the K2
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote