Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
GEBSEWS
GEBSEWS began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS500
ms word documents on sony reader

When I try to transfer an MS Word document to the reader, I get an error message. I tried created new documents with just a few words and still the same. When I convert to "rtf" it works.

Also, when I convert to "rtf", I lose the table of contents feature in the reader.

I have used the LRFMaker with text from my documents but am not able to create a table contents that I can access in the reader.

Is there software out there to create a "Lrf" book on my own with all of the features such as table of contents, cover picture, etc.?

I have used my pocket pc in the past to read my palm books. I also have the palm studio software to create my own books.
GEBSEWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Based on my personal experience & reading other posts here, my conclusion is that the Reader's ability with RTF does not include either TOC or image capability. That's one of our wishes for future firmware upgrades.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi GEBSEWS, welcome to the forum!

As you've discovered, Reader doesn't work with "doc" files; only with RTF and, as slayda says above, with RTF you can't have either a TOC or pictures.

If you look in the "Reader Content" section of the forum you'll find a number of tools for creating "lrf" books. I'm afraid I have no personal experience of using them (I stick with RTF) so I can't personally comment on their ease of use, but you'll find lots of helpful people here who will be only too happy to answer your questions and help out in any way they can.

You've certainly come to the right place to get the "inside info" on the Reader .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also in RTF on the Reader you lose most (all?) boarders and shading that may have been added like the horizontal rule under a chapter title. Plus all page breaks and section breaks are ignored.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBSEWS
When I try to transfer an MS Word document to the reader, I get an error message. I tried created new documents with just a few words and still the same. When I convert to "rtf" it works.

Also, when I convert to "rtf", I lose the table of contents feature in the reader.

I have used my pocket pc in the past to read my palm books. I also have the palm studio software to create my own books.
There is a work around that I have employed to create a chapter TOC in an RTF.

In Word I replace all "Chapter" with "~Chapter" with a page break before. After saving it as an RTF and importing into CONNECT, I can quickly search for "~" and add a bookmark for each chapter. When the RTF is then transferred to the Reader, the bookmarks come with and you have a complete chapter TOC. Not elegant, but it works when you need it.

I am very happy with ABC Amber Palm Converter that directly converts all non-protected PDB files to RTF (amoung many other format choices). Hope this helps.
http://www.processtext.com/abcpalm.html
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
GEBSEWS
GEBSEWS began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS500
MS WORD AND THE Sony CONNECT SOFTWARE

Thanks for all of the replies to my questions about MS Word not working with Connect Software.

I contacted tech support today and they said they would have to get back with me about why I was getting an error when trying to drag and drop a .DOC file into my Sony Reader.

I received an email telling me to uninstall and reinstall the software. Did that. No success. I emailed them back and am now waiting to hear what they say.

I have to manually change all of my .DOC files to .RTF instead of simply drag and drop. I own the Textconverter software but it is on another computer, so for now I have to convert one by one until Sony fixes this problem.

Aside from all of that, I love my Sony reader. My first experience reading ebooks was on a Handspring Visor. It was good but reading outdoors was terrible. I like to read while hubby fishes. Then I got an HP IPAQ pocket pc and now have upgraded to the HPIPAQ 2495b. It is better than the handspring but my eyes get very tired. The screen is very small and the battery will only go for about three hours.

So far, I have read a couple of books on the Sony reader and my eyes are happy! I do have to sit next to a lamp indoors, but you have to do that with paper anyway. It took a little while to learn the controls but after the second book I am getting around very well.

As with a lot of others on this list, I think the software needs a lot of improvement. I would like to be able to rate books in my library such as with Media player. Also, I would like to be able to create my own books with TOC links just like the purchased books from Sony connect.

I'm dissappointed that there is no King James Bible on the Sony Website. I have the Bible in RTF format, but it is too large to be able to jump around to specific scriptures. The only way I can see to do that is create a separate "Book" for each book of the Bible. And still that would be a hard way to read the Bible. I think I'll stick with my Bible software on my Pocket PC.
GEBSEWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Also in RTF on the Reader you lose most (all?) boarders and shading that may have been added like the horizontal rule under a chapter title. Plus all page breaks and section breaks are ignored.
Hard page breaks (ie "Ctrl+Enter" in Word) are honoured by Reader. I use those a lot as chapter separators.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBSEWS

I'm dissappointed that there is no King James Bible on the Sony Website. I have the Bible in RTF format, but it is too large to be able to jump around to specific scriptures. The only way I can see to do that is create a separate "Book" for each book of the Bible. And still that would be a hard way to read the Bible. I think I'll stick with my Bible software on my Pocket PC.

You might be interested in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&page=1&pp=15

Welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Hard page breaks (ie "Ctrl+Enter" in Word) are honoured by Reader. I use those a lot as chapter separators.
I have used hard page breaks (as mentioned) and section breaks and neither produce a new page on my Reader in RTF files under any font size. I am using MS Word 2003 SP2. What are you using that will produce them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote