Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How Many of MR's Indie Authors Have You Read ?
None 39 39.80%
1 - 3 28 28.57%
4 - 5 9 9.18%
6 - 10 13 13.27%
11 - 15 3 3.06%
16 - 20 1 1.02%
More than 20 5 5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #31
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I've read four, but have many more downloaded.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #32
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Oops! More than 20, I guess I need todosome reviews.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #33
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Oops! More than 20, I guess I need todosome reviews.

You Sure Do hehehe
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #34
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
How Many of MR's Indie Authors Have You Read ?
Absolute zero, so far.
My TBR list is too long.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #35
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Absolute zero, so far.
My TBR list is too long.

Then Read QUICKER

Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Then Read QUICKER

Wise advice.
I wish I could....
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #37
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Oops, I need to change my vote! I voted 4-5 (and I've reviewed all of them on smashwords), but when I saw the details of the voting, I could vote closer to 20, since I've downloaded a ton and I'm planning to read them all all all! Well, all the ones that I like by the middle of the book at least! I've had a lovely reading weekend- read at least 5 books from smashwords just in the past few days. In the middle of #6 (on my sony) and #7 (on my blackberry) right now...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #38
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Oops, I need to change my vote! I voted 4-5 (and I've reviewed all of them on smashwords), but when I saw the details of the voting, I could vote closer to 20, since I've downloaded a ton and I'm planning to read them all all all! Well, all the ones that I like by the middle of the book at least! I've had a lovely reading weekend- read at least 5 books from smashwords just in the past few days. In the middle of #6 (on my sony) and #7 (on my blackberry) right now...

Good on You Grace,

Great to see you around, and glad your getting in some HARDCORE reaing time

Keep Up the Good Work
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #39
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hate to point you to a different board, but if you like mysteries:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...html#msg506285

If you like Thrillers:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...html#msg506229

It's more of a list, rather than a recommended list, but you can quickly check their announce page. I've used this to make more than a few purchases since I discovered this list.

Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #40
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
And I know it's cheating, but include ANY you have Bought / Downloaded but NOT yet read,
Ooops, I've voted before reading that.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #41
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Is there a list (anywhere) of recommended books by Indie Authors? I prefer thrillers...
Boyd Morrison, though he now has more traditional publishing arrangements, first made his books available independently, and had/has a presence on MR. If you like fast-paced thrillers, then I can't think of anything better.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #42
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have tried a couple. Some were good and show a lot of promise and I went on to purchase other works they had up, usually on Smashwords. As mentioned by JBJB, yes, Boyd Morrison is one of the good ones. Wesley Alison also comes to mind as showing promise and I think he still has some free ebooks out, and he posts here regularly so he's not just here to "plug and run."

Edit: I may one day have to start a Book Review blog. Maybe I could call it "James Reads..." or something. (My name is James Reed, hence the pun...)

Last edited by jamesread; 09-09-2010 at 01:05 AM.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #43
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
According to this poll, if I had the perfect book, with the perfect cover, and a perfect edit I might sell a dozen books in a year here. No wonder I'm not really trying to sell books here. lol
M. R. Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #44
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I have been disappointed too often by the sub-standard editing of Indie author works to have risked any to the MR ones so far. I am convinced there are many good Indie authors out there (here, maybe ); but I often perceive a good story with bad editing as unpleasant to read as a bad story.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #45
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I often perceive a good story with bad editing as unpleasant to read as a bad story
Heh. Some people say that the journey is more important than the destination, or the journey is worth suffering disappointing destination...or..
Doesn't matter. I am just like you. That's why I hate Perdido Street Station. It was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read until I got to the end. The ending was so bad, that I cannot stand even thinking about the author's other books.