Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Question Star Wars Episode III

I found myself bored during the first half. The whole Anakin-turns-evil curve, which is so critical to the storyline, was also totally unbelievable. Fortunately, the second half was much better, although the ending was too abrupt. This is not a movie site, so I won't go into detail. I'm still curious as to what other MR members think of it.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
I liked it! I loved the book even better, however. I only hope that they include more of the dialog that was so important to Anakin's fall in the Director's Cut of the movie release. It would be so much nicer to view that way.

The action scene's were wonderful! Well done. At the end, with Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting each other, the speed and fury of the lightsaber's clashing was just incredible! I couldn't believe how fast they were swinging away at each other.

Over all Rating:

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Loss of half a star due to sappy love story backplot. fortunately, there isnt' a whole lot left on that issue to delve into. It's just mayhem and havoc for the Jedi.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Slightly off topic, but closely related...

In case you just can't get enough Star Wars, there's a fan flick that's a full and nicely done amateur Star Wars movie called "Revelations" that you can get here. I watched it, and it's really impressive. Except for the acting, that is.

And Star Wars shows are coming to tv also.. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/25/205234
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I'm simply playing Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords for my own personal fix. I'm about to start up on my 4th time through the game. :-) I *love* the lightsaber action.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 AM   #5
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
As a dedicated fan of the old Star Wars saga (Han Solo is the man!), I have never come to like Lucas' later attempts to revive (and commercialize) the story. Episode I sucked badly; Episode II wasn't much better. I haven't seen III yet but something tells me that I wouldn't like it much either. Perhaps I am wrong?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Episode I sucked badly; Episode II wasn't much better. I haven't seen III yet but something tells me that I wouldn't like it much either. Perhaps I am wrong?
I don't think you'll like this one any better than the other prequels. Personally, I think Episode Two (not Three) was the best of the prequels.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Episode III felt a bit like a tuesday night scifi original movie with poorly mastered special effects similar to those seen on the power rangers series.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I don't think you'll like this one any better than the other prequels. Personally, I think Episode Two (not Three) was the best of the prequels.
Watched it today, and actually, I was positively surprised. I don't know what Lucas did different compared to I or II, but somehow III "felt" more like the old Star Wars episodes to me.

Now I wish he could make a complete redo of I and II
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I must admit, I'm more excited about seeing this one than the last two, based on what I've read and heard so far. Maybe in a couple of days when I can get a seat in the local cinema

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
sillius soddus
Professional whiner
sillius soddus began at the beginning.

Device: Dopod 838Pro/HTC TyTN/HTC Hermes
I just came back from Ep3 yesterday, and it was very enjoyable. And Natalie Portman acted wonderfully too.

I didn't like the fact that the battle between Obi-wan and Anakin was done using 2 *blue* lightsabers. The Palpatine and Yoda grudgematch was more pleasing to the eye due to the colour contrast.

Yeah, I'm a little strange that way...
sillius soddus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #11
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Watched it and liked it!

Who else is suffering with me from this feeling of emptiness? No more Star Wars. I just cannot believe it.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
derekweb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillius soddus
I just came back from Ep3 yesterday, and it was very enjoyable. And Natalie Portman acted wonderfully too.

I didn't like the fact that the battle between Obi-wan and Anakin was done using 2 *blue* lightsabers. The Palpatine and Yoda grudgematch was more pleasing to the eye due to the colour contrast.

Yeah, I'm a little strange that way...

I can appreciate your sentiments on this point. I was thinking the same thing through that part at the end of the movie. Unfortunately, as part of the Tee-Up to episode 4, they both HAD to have blue lightsabers.

Obi Wan wasn't going to be making a new one (even modifying his current one was suddenly a lot harder). Anakin's HAD to be blue, because that's the one that Obi Wan took to give to Luke. Eventually. :-) That Luke eventually lost down that shaft in Cloud City. Along with his hand.

Oops. :-) "Hold on to your lightsaber. It is your LIFE!" "Yes Master. I do try, Master." "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be the death of me, Anakin?"
Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #13
sillius soddus
Professional whiner
sillius soddus began at the beginning.

Device: Dopod 838Pro/HTC TyTN/HTC Hermes
Yeah, derekweb, that scene had to have 2 blues against each other. In fact, the ending of the movie felt like assorted scenes of how the end of this movie ties in with the beginning of the next movie. The was a specific scene where Obi Wan picks up Anakin's lightsaber off the ground in Mustafar, and I was going hmm... that's subtle.

I think they've answered practically everything except one that comes to mind, which is: Why the heck does Yoda and Obi-wan disappear when they die by not Qui-gon? Or everybody else, in fact, in the prequel movies?
sillius soddus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #14
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb
That Luke eventually lost down that shaft in Cloud City. Along with his hand.
Which, according to the Thrawn Trilogy (highly reccomended reading, even if you aren't a huge Star Wars fan - Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command - all by Timothy Zahn), eventually became a souvenir of the Emperor... And I mean the lightsaber and the hand.

And I haven't seen Ep III yet... One, I'm not highly motivated to see it, after the first two prequels were disappointing (my philosophy on it is simple: I'll see it eventually)... And two, I've been sick the past four days, so I wouldn't have had a chance even if the motivation was there.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
chaos, trust me the third is a lot better than one and two. Still not as good as four, five or six though. Here is why episode iv is better than iii (according to marc from oreilly radar):

10. Vader kills someone with his bare hands in the first five minutes.
9. Unlike her mother, Leia doesn't sit around her apartment crying all the time.
8. Not just a silent Jar-Jar -- no Jar-Jar at all.
7. Even old, hermit Jedi don't let stormtroopers shoot them in the back.
6. More walking trashcans.
5. Uncle Owen way grumpier than Yoda.
4. Computer-generated bad guys don't hit their heads on the doors.
3. Mark Hamill, believe it or not, is a much better actor than Hayden Christensen.
2. Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy.
1. Willing suspension of disbelief much easier when you're six.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote