Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
kapierce65
kapierce65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
How can I see which SERIES a book belongs to on my Kindle?

Hello Everybody! I'm sure this has been covered before but...I had Calibre set up to show the series and series order after I had sent them to my original (1st generation) Kindle. I got the new Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and now it will not show the series info. I used the example set forth by Kovid in his post. Has the template changed? Thanks!!
kapierce65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapierce65 View Post
Hello Everybody! I'm sure this has been covered before but...I had Calibre set up to show the series and series order after I had sent them to my original (1st generation) Kindle. I got the new Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and now it will not show the series info. I used the example set forth by Kovid in his post. Has the template changed? Thanks!!
The following may be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, currently updating metadata (and therefore plugboards) will not work when you have both filetypes in a MOBI. I suggest you stick to using AZW3 if you need to use plugboards.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
kapierce65

So,can you tell me exactly how to do that??? LOL...i have tried several different ways and it won't work. I think I'm doing something wrong. THANKS!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
When you convert if you are converting to mobi, select Mobi Old under Mobi Output. or use AZW3, that would be my sugestion. Then the plugboard will work.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
kapierce65

OK, I did that and tried again and the series does not show up on my HD. Could I possibly have something else wrong?? Thanks!!
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The meadata plugboard I use on my original Kindle Fire is:

Code:
mobi:KINDLE_FIRE = ([{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}] -> title)
This works for me because I have Preferences -> Output Options -> MOBI Output -> MOBI file type set to "old" and because I always download the Kindle 1 version to my computer (so it is always an old mobi to start with, even if I don't convert it in Calibre).

In your case, most of the commenters are suggesting you replace mobi with azw3 in the above and then convert all your ebooks to azw3. This is in part because AZW3 is a more capable format than MOBI.

If you want the same file on your Kindle 1 and Fire then use the "old MOBI" approach, but if you have a mix of Kindle 1 and Fire sourced MOBI's in your Calibre library you probably still need to do a mobi to mobi conversion of all your ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I use {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}

I have this set for any device any format

Last edited by alanHd; 12-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
kapierce65

Thanks for all the help!!! I finally got it going the way I want. You guys are AWESOME!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
I'm using Calibre 1.48 with a Kindle Paperwhite, preferring AZW3 format. I'm having the same problem, I think. My Preferences for Send to Device are
{series} {series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}{authors:| - |}
But when I actually send an AZW3 to my Paperwhite, the main menu screen shows the title and author, but no series and series index.

I'm a total noob and much of Calibre still confuses me, so I'd appreciate a clearly worded solution that an 8-year-old would understand! LOL!
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
I'm using Calibre 1.48 with a Kindle Paperwhite, preferring AZW3 format. I'm having the same problem, I think. My Preferences for Send to Device are
{series} {series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}{authors:| - |}
But when I actually send an AZW3 to my Paperwhite, the main menu screen shows the title and author, but no series and series index.

I'm a total noob and much of Calibre still confuses me, so I'd appreciate a clearly worded solution that an 8-year-old would understand! LOL!
That template you set configures the filename sent to your device. In order to alter what you see on your device you need to use metadata plugboards found in calibre Preferences->Metadata plugboards. Using the metadata plugboard to alter the metadata title field should do what you want.

Examples can be found in this thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-22-2014 at 05:31 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
DoctorOhh - Thank you! It worked. I kept the format I posted except I discarded the {authors} part. Now my main menu screen shows (for example) "Ender Quintet 01 - Ender's Game" with the author Orson Scott Card below it. Non-series just show the title with no extra characters and the author below it. Exactly as I wanted.

And now I understand the plugboard a little better.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote