Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Epic25
Epic25 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
jailbreak problem

When I started using PW2 I done jailbreak, I install KUAL and change screensavers. Several days ago (I can't tell exactly, because I was very busy at work and I didn't immediately notice that; maybe 2 weeks ago? I don't know) my screensavers go back to the previous one (deafult). When I started KUAL there were an information 'kindlet jailbreak not installed'.
I thought it was caused by some upgrade (I didn't notice any information about this, but my Kindle was connected to the wireless net, so maybe there was some update). I now have firmware 5.4.2.1.
So I thought that I need to once again install jailbreak and it's going to be just fine. I install, like I have done it before, and KUAL still show the sign 'kindlet jailbreak not installed'. I restart, I uninstall, install jailbreak again, delete KUAL, download KUAL, restart device several times.
I have no idea what to do next.

Can someone tell my what's wrong and how can I fix it? Please
Epic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Epic25
Your Jailbreak survived the update...you do NOT need to re-install it. The Kindlet Jailbreak is something different (currently being re-named to Mobileread Kindlet Kit and is being combined with the Dev's Certif so as to avoid this kind of confusion). You need to re-install the Kindlet Jailbreak found as part of the Kual Prerequisites. You will also need to re-install the Screensaver Hack to get your custom screensavers back. Welcome to the forum!

**You also may want to install the Kual extension BackDoorLock to keep silent updates from happening and ruining all of your hacks.

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Epic25
Epic25 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thank you very much for your help! Now it is all clear and it is finally working .

Once again - thank you
Epic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Epic25-
You're welcome...glad you got it sorted!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
**You also may want to install the Kual extension BackDoorLock to keep silent updates from happening and ruining all of your hacks.
BackDoorLock can be also installed as an ordinary update, without need to install KUAL and its prerequisites first.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
BackDoorLock can be also installed as an ordinary update, without need to install KUAL and its prerequisites first.
Yep...though since the OP mentioned he/she was using KUAL already and it is so elegantly integrated I didn't want to confuse things. I suppose other readers of the forum may prefer to use the stand-alone version and not as a KUAL extension (I can hear twobob already..."but why, mate?" ).
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
hashanga
hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, B&N Nook HD+
Unhappy stuck in usbnet

I have the same problem, except that my kindle is stuck in usbnetworking mode. I must have set it to startup automatically.

Since KUAL doesn't work, can someone please help me to disable / turn off usbnetworking.

PS: I tried
Quote:
;debugOn
;un
without success. ~help doesn't work.
Since I'm in a windows box, I can't access the kindle in any way.
hashanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Connect to Kindle via SSH and delete file /mnt/us/usbnet/auto :

Code:
rm /mnt/us/usbnet/auto
reboot

Last edited by dsmid; 02-20-2014 at 01:53 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #9
hashanga
hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, B&N Nook HD+
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Connect to Kindle via SSH and delete file /mnt/us/usbnet/auto :

Code:
rm /mnt/us/usbnet/auto
reboot

Thanks for the quick reply.
The problem is I can't get usbnet working with windows. I tried installing drivers but nothing worked.
Is there a on-device method to disable usbnetworking?
hashanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, ;un in the search bar from the Home screen toggles USBNetwork, no matter if it's started at boot or not.

(Make sure it's unplugged from a computer at the time, though).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, kual, paperwhite, problem, pw2