Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
2nd Reader sends me down the rabbit hole

I mail-ordered my wife a 505 for Xmas and she loves it. I think it rocks too. After wrestling with the Kindle choice I decided to buy a second 505 for me. Our reading time overlaps too much to share.

So after reading the about the new Borders promotion, and not getting ANY information from two local store managers, I bit the bullet and just bought it. We had a traumatic experience at Borders since they seriously wanted to charge me $349!

There are three price points for the same SKU code ($249, $299, and $349) in their system. The first manager did not believe me when I told him it sells for $299, well, everywhere. Had to return later and take another crack at them (since it was sold out in other local electronics stores and at the other local Borders). Phew! Crisis averted and I didn't have to be hauled off by the police for wringing his neck...

It did come with a "$10 off e-book" code, a 12 letter+number scratch-off-covered sticker on the box. It also rang up the $50 promotion details (straight credit at the Sony/Borders site) on the receipt! Yay! The monkeys behind the counter were dumbfounded.

So, I eagerly take it home plug it in and follow their instructions, sending me to the ebooks.connect.com/borders store. Hmm, at least the front page is put together sexier than the original Sony site.

First weirdness is my Library software is now updated to version 2.1.00.10240/BR. My wife's installation was not yet at 2.1 and did not think there was an update available. Odd. I haven't spotted any improvements but I glossed over some text assuring me there are some. If so, why doesn't the original Sony software want to update itself?

Second weirdness is I am unable to register myself as an independent account at the Sony Borders store. It recognizes that our single home PC already has an account (my wife's) and "only one is allowed." I checked the FAQ's and e-mailed tech support to see what they have to say.

I can probably redeem my new credits ($50 + $10 off one book) to my wife's account even though hers was mail-ordered elsewhere. If so, what about the extra 100 Classic books I am also entitled to? I'll be a bit peeved if I have to use my laptop or work PC just to get around the "one account per PC" nonsense in their set-up.

I can't be the only Sony fan here with only one reader though, extravagant as it may sound. Anyone else out there? I'll post up what I get back from tech support. At least the reader is awesome and I'm obviously doing my part to fund the next generation.

Last edited by Penforhire; 12-29-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you want to be able to share books, you need ONE account with both readers registered to that account. You can have two computers active on that one account. You can have up to six devices active on one account. One being a computer and up to five readers. With having one account, you can share the books you purchase between your two readers. My wife has a reader, I have a reader, and my mother-in-law has a reader and we have three computers and three readers all active. The good thing is that we can share any of the books purchased between us. if you have an account for you and an account for your wife, you won't be able to share the books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
As for the classics, I suspect that they're all available here, in better formats than available via the Sony Store, so I'd not worry about that credit either way...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Their answer, clearly half-reading my complaint, was "try working it through the original account." That $50 credit didn't go through yesterday but it took fine moments ago. I still have no luck with the "$10 off a single e-book" code from my Borders sticker. I'm willing to let the extra Classics credit slide (as most or all of those are free elsewhere).

I sent them a response e-mail asking for an actual human investigation or a number where I can talk to a supervisor.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote