Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Series reccomendations

I have just finished reading Kevin Anderson's Saga Of Seven Suns series. Well up to book 5 anyway and that leads to my question. Anyone know what happened to book 6? I read that it was to be released in July this year but I see nothing around.

Anyway this series was an adventure for me because I usually avoid series. Locally it is very difficult to find a complete series. Yes I can buy on Amazon but usually I look for a book when I want something to read at that moment, not because I want something to read in 2 months time, I could be dead for goodness sakes. Would anyone like to recommender a modern SF series for me to have a go at next? I promise I will not get mean if it turns out I don't like it.

thanks martin
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series; I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you liked the "Seven Suns" books. All published by Baen; the first two or three are available from the "Free Library" on Baen's web site; the rest are very reasonably prices. There are, I believe, 11 books so far in the series proper, plus half a dozen or so "spin-off" books, so plenty to keep you going.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry. I have looked at them and have one problem. What is the order or is there no order? Is each one a self contained story?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'd recommend C.J. Cherryh's "Chanur" series. And if you want something weird, try Jack Chalker's "Soul Rider" series. It seems like pure fantasy until the last (5th) when the science behind it is explained. Anyhow, two of my favorites.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Thanks Harry. I have looked at them and have one problem. What is the order or is there no order? Is each one a self contained story?
Start with "On Basilisk Station," which you can download for free from the Baen Free Library. It's the first in the series. If you like it, visit Baen.com and look around until you find the 'Series' page -- it lists the reading order for many of their series (although it is somewhat out of date).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Order is:

1. On Basilisk Station (1993)
2. The Honor of the Queen (1993)
3. The Short Victorious War (1994)
4. Field of Dishonor (1994)
5. Flag in Exile (1995)
6. Honor Among Enemies (1996)
7. In Enemy Hands (1997)
8. Echoes of Honor (1998)
9. Ashes of Victory (2000)
10. War of Honor (2002)
11. At All Costs (2005)

Each is pretty much self-contained, but there's very much an on-going story, so you really need to read them in order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Another vote for Cherryh's Chanur series. You might like her "Company War" books, too-- they aren't a series, per se, but are set in the same universe and share some characters, as well as a common history. Try Rimrunners. It isn't the first in the sequence (that would be Heavy Time according to the author) but it is very readable and has plenty of action. (I had some other books to recommend, e.g. Card's Ender series, but I don't see them as ebooks at my usual sources. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
I have just finished reading Kevin Anderson's Saga Of Seven Suns series. Well up to book 5 anyway and that leads to my question. Anyone know what happened to book 6? I read that it was to be released in July this year but I see nothing around.
The only place you can find book 6 atm is on the darknet
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Would anyone like to recommender a modern SF series for me to have a go at next? I promise I will not get mean if it turns out I don't like it.
Harry's recommendation is a good one. David Weber & John Ringo's Empire of Man series is pretty good too.

Other SF stuff I've enjoyed to various degrees this year (I don't read tons of SF)...
the Wess'Har series by Karin Travis
the Jenny Casey series by Elizabeth Bear
the Serrano Legacy series by Elizabeth Moon

For series info & reading order stuff http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk is a pretty good site.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-12-2007 at 03:55 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll add my votes to the Honor Harrington series, as well as the Empire of Man, and also Moon's Serrano Legacy, all good reads.

You may also enjoy the Assisti (sp?) Shards series, the first one is 1633 and is by Weber and Eric Flint.

David Drake's Lieutenant Leary series is pretty good, it starts with Lt. Leary Commanding.

I also enjoy Jon Ringos Council Wars series, it starts with There Will Be Dragons.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
[SNIP]
You may also enjoy the Assisti (sp?) Shards series, the first one is 1633 and is by Weber and Eric Flint.

David Drake's Lieutenant Leary series is pretty good, it starts with Lt. Leary Commanding.

I also enjoy Jon Ringos Council Wars series, it starts with There Will Be Dragons.
Agree about the Drake and Ringo series. But note that the first Assiti Shards book is 1632, not 1633.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, quite right, those number titles confuse me, I'm afraid.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I was checking out this series, it sounds interesting. FWIW the Baen site says With the Lightnings is the first book & Lt. Leary Commanding is the second one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I was checking out this series, it sounds interesting. FWIW the Baen site says With the Lightnings is the first book & Lt. Leary Commanding is the second one.
Okay, I see the titles that consist of letters confuse me too.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #15
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

Thank you everyone

I started with the Chanur series last night, mostly because by the time I sorted out the Honor Harrington order I had already, in my impatience, downloaded the first 2 of Chanur. Next will be the Honor series and for sure I will look into the others suggested in this thread. I was coincidentally looking at the Honor series with some interest so all it took there was the recommendation from Harry to decide me. Harry if you are ever in South Africa and want to see lots of stars, look me up.

Some things buying off the net still annoy me, like why cant series of books all be clearly marked as to the order.

Glad to here that the 6'th book in the Seven Suns series is on its way. Well if it is on the "darknet" I suppose that it is. I don't even know where to find pirated books and I guess I will leave it like that.

Once again thank you for all the help