Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
iPad first report

Got my iPad up and running. In fact, I'm writing this post on it.

The iBooks app is extremely impressive. Reading seems comfortable and natural. The gimmicky page turning thing is actually kind of nice!

I loaded in some ePub docs (non-DRM) that I previously had on my Sony Reader. They work great. Full justification, multiple fonts, dictionary lookups for any word, color graphics (these were sci-fi magazines).

The Apple bookstore looks good too. Haven't spent much time there yet.

Finally, the Kindle app works fine as well. It isn't as graphically snazzy as iBooks but it is fine. Amazon treats you as a Kindle owner and getting books is quite easy.

How is the iPad for extended periods of reading? I will have to see.

But as a reader it seems great and the other stuff it does is amazing.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Thanks for your initial impressions. Can you take it out in the direct sunlight and report on how readable it is? That will be helpful in my decision.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Nice to know I can download and read my Kindle purchases on Ipad! I was wondering.

As for direct sunshine reading, important yes, but generally I do my outside reading under roof of my porch, so will be interested to see if it easier to read than my LCD screen on my computer which is basically Nada in bright daylight.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Thanks for the report. When you get a chance let us know what it's like to read in bed with it (I do most of my reading there ) - I wonder if it's possible to fiddle with brightness and the impact it has on the eyes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the iBooks application have an "annotation" feature?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does the iBooks application have an "annotation" feature?
I don't think so, seems I read that recently as a negative.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. That's a pity.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
How does ibooks handle collections?
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
froggie731
Enthusiast
froggie731 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Thanks for the report. When you get a chance let us know what it's like to read in bed with it (I do most of my reading there ) - I wonder if it's possible to fiddle with brightness and the impact it has on the eyes.
The reading in bed thing is important to me too! I think on a quick clip of the iPad I saw it actually does have a brightness control right in the iBooks app, but I'm not sure about the others (Kindle app, B&N app, etc).

I really want the iPad to be the right choice for me, lol.
froggie731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
I am just downloading epub from google books to check them out.

So far I am liking it.
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A few answers...
Reading in full sun (and we have that today in abundance) is not very practical. With the screen brightness maxxed out, it is quite readable but I would not want to read a book that way. So I'll need to find a little shade when I want to read outdoors. Not a problem for me - I don't like reading in the sun anyway. But for those that do, keep you e-ink around.

Adjusting screen brightness is easy in the iBooks app and is continuously variable from extremely dim to much too bright.

Reading in bed seems ideal. Plop the thing on your belly or wherever you are configured to rest it and read away. It does not get hot like a notebook computer. The back is vaguely warm but nothing to pay any attention to.

As for annotations... Not as far as I have discovered. There is bookmarking which is more like highlighting. You can highlight text in a variety of colors. Perhaps there is more you can with these highlighted things. I will have to investigate.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks! Can you hold it comfortably in one hand and read a book? I was curious if your hand would get tired for a long reading period.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
As for annotations... Not as far as I have discovered. There is bookmarking which is more like highlighting. You can highlight text in a variety of colors. Perhaps there is more you can with these highlighted things. I will have to investigate.
Highlighting will do just fine for me - I just need some way of marking errors when I'm proof-reading a book. Thanks - that pretty much confirms my decision to buy an iPad when they're released here in the UK.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
rwsimon
Connoisseur

The highlighted stuff (bookmarks) are compiled on a separate page with page number references associated.

One can also search within the book for specific text (i.e. a certain word or phrase) and all occurrences will pop up in a window with their context and page reference. Pretty nice.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
Thanks! Can you hold it comfortably in one hand and read a book? I was curious if your hand would get tired for a long reading period.
Holding in one hand would be tiring for long periods. I am resting it on my leg and balancing with my hand - very comfortable.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote