Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
Buying ebooks with a foreign credit card.

I am a Malaysian who will be buying PRS-300 when I go over to US in Aug. And I have set up OpenVPN in my pc to hide my IP address. However, I know that the other hurdle in buying ebooks is my non-US credit card. How do I overcome this issue? If I register using a US address (for my M'sian credit card) will that be enough or will they still check on that and discover that my card is not US based?

Help! I don't want to buy the reader and find it useless outside US! Malaysia currently doesn't have a bookshop retailing ebooks..

Mel
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Try Kobobooks. I have bought there with my Dutch credit card with a non-USA (and also non-Dutch) address.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Adding an U.S. address is good enough for B&N. But Sony Readers cannot read B&N books.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Putra View Post
I am a Malaysian who will be buying PRS-300 when I go over to US in Aug. And I have set up OpenVPN in my pc to hide my IP address. However, I know that the other hurdle in buying ebooks is my non-US credit card. How do I overcome this issue? If I register using a US address (for my M'sian credit card) will that be enough or will they still check on that and discover that my card is not US based?
There are a number of companies offering 'virtual' debit cards, that you load money into from a normal card or account, and then use to buy things online. The one I use (Entropay.com) will validate any address a merchant sends them, so they will appear to US sites as though it is a US card.
You could test it out before buying the reader by buying a cheap book from the online store.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast

This Entropay.com... It is really trustworthy and secure?
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Yes, tell us more. This may be what a lot of us need. Are the charges for using their service acceptable?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Very interesting. Love to know more about this.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I've never used it myself, but USUnlocked also provide this service. In fact, I believe you have two options. You can either pay them a nominal sum ($10 I think) and have a US billing address assigned to you; or, for websites that only accept credit cards by American banks, you can add some money to your USUnlocked account and they'll buy it for you. Check their website for details.

Since I haven't used them, I can't vouch for their reliability, but a lot of people here have, at least, used their freight forwarding services, and seemed satisfied...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Yes, tell us more. This may be what a lot of us need. Are the charges for using their service acceptable?
Disclaimer: I have no connection with them other than a user, and I imagine there are a number of similar services, this is just the one I am familiar with.
I have used them maybe a dozen times or so, and have had no issues. There is a 5% charge for loading money in from another account, no other charges that I've seen. It probably isn't suitable for large purchases, as that 5% would start to hurt, but very convenient for small media purchases.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:

Help! I don't want to buy the reader and find it useless outside US! Malaysia currently doesn't have a bookshop retailing ebooks..

Mel
hi mel , i have a sony PRS - 600 and sucessfully bought e-books from these 2 websites with my local credit card (non-US).

http://www.webscription.net/ <- mostly scifi / fantasy types
http://www.fictionwise.com/

plus u can check if your local library allows you to check out ebooks ... (they have the service in singapore library http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/E...en/Default.htm )
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:

Mel
I've had my Sony reader for a couple of months now and so far it's only the Sony store that requires a work-around in order to buy books. Basically, I have a friend buy me gift cards for the Sony store. First time you buy something, you're asked to give your address, which must be in the US. I have a US credit card, but what seems to trip me up buying from the Sony store is the fact that the billing address on that card is not in the US.

But you can still buy from Kobo, Waterstones, WH Smith and other "multi-reader" e-book stores that sell epub format reading material. You won't find your Reader useless outside the US at all. Just give some thought to which country you want to register it as being "native" in. (Not sure about the US version, but the Reader I bought through the UK had a whole list of countries you could register - it's apparently your choice.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
But you can still buy from Kobo, Waterstones, WH Smith and other "multi-reader" e-book stores that sell epub format reading material. You won't find your Reader useless outside the US at all. Just give some thought to which country you want to register it as being "native" in.
Being a Malaysian I guess it is best if I register the country as US rather than UK? (Currently ebooks are not sold by any M'sian bookstores). From the forum that I have been reading it seems that there are more choice if the country is US that any countries in Europe?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Being a Malaysian I guess it is best if I register the country as US rather than UK? (Currently ebooks are not sold by any M'sian bookstores). From the forum that I have been reading it seems that there are more choice if the country is US that any countries in Europe?
Yes, there are more books available on Amazon U.S. I'm in KL too and use the gift card option, along with a VPN that provides me with a U.S. ip address, to buy books from Amazon.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
I'm in Singapore & also struggling with geo restrictions. Do you mind sending me a PM to let me know which VPN service you are using? I've tried some of the free ones with no luck & leery of shelling out money for a VPN service with no guarantees that it will work. TIA!
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I'm in the UK and have the Sony software set for the US. I use gift cards purchased by other Mobileread members, to whom I send the money via Paypal (eg Disney_Mommy). They send me the card number which I then just enter into my Sony account. The credit shows up immediately and doesn't seem to expire until I spend it!
I've also managed to register on Barnes & Noble and can get their freebies, but have never tried to buy from them - I would imagine my credit card would be no good there.
Have you tried any of the UK stores? WH Smith and Waterstones may work for you - I'm pretty sure some of the MR members in Australia and NZ manage to buy from them.
Good luck!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote