Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #76
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... um gee. We can do that without a book club.

BOb
I beg your pardon? I was merely suggesting that the book club could work without categories as well. Well, apparently I am the only one who thinks that.

Anyway, I would drop one of the classics and choose instead "Foreign Language" (I mean, something not written originally in English). Also, instead of "Romance," I would prefer a more general label, like "Love stories," for example. That could include romance but also other kinds of literature.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #77
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Ah that's a bit better. How do you know if a book is still in print? If there is an ebook for it, does that mean it is still in print.
I think it would mean popular enough to be in print from a mainstream publisher (penguin, harper, etc.)

Quote:
What do others think of the Historical Fiction genre? I admit I don't think I have really read anything in the genre... except maybe the Wagon's West series I read as a teen which had Sam Huston and some other historical persons in it as it followed pioneers expanding out to the western states. BUt, it was really pretty pulp stuff if I recall correctly.
Historical Fiction...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fiction
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I beg your pardon? I was merely suggesting that the book club could work without categories as well. Well, apparently I am the only one who thinks that.
Yea, I know. I was teasing you a bit. I think part of the "draw" of the book club is to maybe get you out of the genres you normally read. Having it totally open every month I think will keep people in their favorite genres.

It could work I guess.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #79
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I am reading through my month list I am also wondering, do we need a month dedicated to Bio's? I mean, all of them would fall under non-fiction right? If we kept the Bio month I think the non-fiction month would be excludes Bio's.

BOb
Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Maybe it got overlooked, but my idea for the Classics could be pulling one of the 1001 list and narrow it down to books on MR. At last count I think there were at least 100, and I have that data on my spreadsheet (not on the one in my sig but my personal one).
I did see you mention that... didn't mean to ignore you. My feeling is that 1001 books is not enough of a pool to select from. But, I could be wrong.

I'm still open to how we define "classic".

BOb
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know what Historical Fiction is... I just wonder if there is enough interest of that genre in the main group of members to carry that month off well.

BOb
Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #82
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
As I am reading through my month list I am also wondering, do we need a month dedicated to Bio's? I mean, all of them would fall under non-fiction right? If we kept the Bio month I think the non-fiction month would be excludes Bio's.
I did notice they overlapped. I'm not sure that matters; plenty of the other genres have room for overlap. Admittedly, none of them entirely include another category--but we could potentially wind up having four different "romance" books in a year, or three different ghost stories, or half a dozen free-public-domain books.

There's a logic to excluding bios from the "Nonfiction" category, but I'm not concerned if it doesn't happen, especially since biographies are mostly excluded from the other genres.

(Historical Fiction is where the westerns go, right? And apparently, Clan of the Cave Bears, which I thought of as science fiction for years before I bothered to look at how it was marketed.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #83
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I think part of the "draw" of the book club is to maybe get you out of the genres you normally read.
That's the biggest attraction of the MRBC for me - reading a recommended book in an unfamiliar genre.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #84
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know what Historical Fiction is... I just wonder if there is enough interest of that genre in the main group of members to carry that month off well.

BOb
I don't know. It's not something I normally read which would make it a good thing for me, but there are other things that could surely replace it. Maybe give Suspense/Thriller it's own month separate from Mystery.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #85
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
(Historical Fiction is where the westerns go, right? And apparently, Clan of the Cave Bears, which I thought of as science fiction for years before I bothered to look at how it was marketed.)
Some would say Westerns is it's own genre. Of course for many books multiple genres can be argued as "correct".
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Some would say Westerns is it's own genre. Of course for many books multiple genres can be argued as "correct".
Yes, I agree with that. I also think that is what makes this a bit hard.

BOb
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe give Suspense/Thriller it's own month separate from Mystery.
I like that idea... but maybe in lieu of Bio's since they fit very well into Non-Fiction.

BOb
Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I suppose September's category could be Banned Books...
http://www.bannedbooksweek.org

Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thing is, if we decide Classic is a public domain book, do we go with life + 50 or life + 70?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #90
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I did see you mention that... didn't mean to ignore you. My feeling is that 1001 books is not enough of a pool to select from. But, I could be wrong.

I'm still open to how we define "classic".

BOb
Well it would only be for the classic month. It's not a huge pool, but there's some good stuff to choose from in there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote