Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
An important "instant-On" feature in the 15.2 firmware

This is double post from this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...176#post975176
but I think it is really nice feature. One of THE best I have found so far.

If you set the
Main Menu
--- Configuration
--- --- Appearance
--- --- --- Boot logo to "current page"
and
Main Menu
--- Configuration
--- --- At startup, open "Last open book"

You get the "fake instant on" feature.
  1. Before switching the PocketBook 301, 302, 360 off, you turn the page.
  2. You swich it off (at this moment PocketBook secretly takes a screenshot of the last read page and only then really switches off).
  3. When you switch the reader on, the screenshot is immediately displayed, so you can read the page when you left off.
  4. By the time you finish the page the book is loaded in background and (again secretly) replaces the "fale page" (screenshot), so you can continue.
  5. Unless, that is, you use really big font size and read very, very quickly.

Dear Guys in Kiev. Did I tell you that you KICK ASS?

Thank you Schnitzelbrain for great tip!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Nice tip.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, you don't have to turn the page to activate the feature, it seems to be part of the shut-down process.
I just tried it: set the boot screen to current page, load up a book, then shut down.
Powered up to the same page.
Clever trick.

And it fits in nicely with the PB360's fast bootup time, which is why I have it to autoshut-off rather than let it run until manual shut-off. So now we get (fake) instant-on and the best battery life the gadget can deliver.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I've been doing this since I got my PB360, I just assumed everyone else was.

I never really understood why everyone bothered with boot logos, guess I get it now
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Actually, you don't have to turn the page to activate the feature,
Ahh, but if you turn the page (and don't read it) then when you turn it on, by the time you're done reading your next page the reader is ready for the following page.

Alas, it doesn't seem to work with Adobe viewer, only fbreader
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yes, for adobeviewer it boots up to the startup image I *used* to have.
Odd.
Anyway, the fact you don't have to page forward means you get the headstart when the reader shuts down automatically, not just when you do it manually.
Still odd it doesn't work with the adobeviewer; I tried it with a DRM-free book just to make sure. And since you *can* screencap adobeviewer content...

Oh, well; another edge for fbreader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Actually, you don't have to turn the page to activate the feature, it seems to be part of the shut-down process.
Yes, it happens regardless of you turning page recently, but this way, you have a NEW page waiting for you 2 seconds after you turn the device on
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
Alas, it doesn't seem to work with Adobe viewer, only fbreader
It does work, to my great delight, with the improved FBReader180.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I just realised this thread says 15.2. I've been doing this since 14.2, so that works, too.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Thanks for the tip! I just set my PB360 up that way I had noticed that the battery still drains pretty quickly in key-locked mode, so hopefully this will preserve my charge better.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Another somewhat similar feature I was trying to activate was:

Leaving the display of the page I was reading showing when PB turned off.
I got part way there. The Logo[bookstore] remains visible when BR is turned off.
How can I get last read book page to remain visible instead of the logo page?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote