Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Fictionwise still has a lot of content not available elsewhere, and aggregates a number of publishers who aren't on the agency model. Its non-DRM'd multiformat books are still a good bargain.

However, if it's going to succeed as an ebook store on the basis of those books, it'll need to rethink its whole marketing strategy. I suspect that B&N is willing to let it die rather than find a way to capitalize on its history & broad customer base. B&N is invested in their own ebook format & device, and has no reason to promote a store whose best feature is many books that are readable on anything.
I agree. Their DRM'd books are pointless now -- they can almost all be gotten way cheaper elsewhere. They should focus on DRM-free books, no geographic restrictions, and unique content. They could be a great place for Indie publishers to go, sort of like Smashwords but with a guarantee of basic editing and completed books.

But I suspect B&N is trying to kill them. Otherwise why sell books at twice the going value, even after a so-called discount?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Frankenstein: Lost Souls (Dean Koontz)
FW: $24 ($20.40 w/BW)
Amazon: $13.12
Sony: not available
Kobo: not available
Actually, Sony has this for $9.99.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fictionwise was still good even after being bought by B&N. What killed Fictionwise was the Agency 5. The way Fictionwise was being run was incompatible with the way the Agency 5 wanted thing to work. So, Fictionwise got screwed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, Sony has this for $9.99.
That's new. It wasn't there when I searched on the 14th. It does say on their site, published 6/15 so I suspect it was added today.

-Marcy
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #20
Marcy
Guru

Fictionwise is still the best place to get magazine subscriptions to Ellery Queen, Alfred Hitchcock, Analog, Isaac Asimov and a few others.

For example, on Amazon for Ellery Queen you are charged $2.99/month or $35.88/year. More than the price to subscribe to the print version!

At Fictionwise you pay $29.02/year for a 1-year subscription (same as print price -- about $1 less) and $50.97 for a 2-year subscription. I was able to get my subscriptions on a special offer with 20% Micropay rebate, but I guess that won't be happening any more. The Fictionwise magazines are all multiformat as well, which means no geo restrictions and you can read them on any device.

-Marcy
Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #21
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Macy, that is definitely true.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Fictionwise is still the best place to get magazine subscriptions to Ellery Queen, Alfred Hitchcock, Analog, Isaac Asimov and a few others.

For example, on Amazon for Ellery Queen you are charged $2.99/month or $35.88/year. More than the price to subscribe to the print version!

At Fictionwise you pay $29.02/year for a 1-year subscription (same as print price -- about $1 less) and $50.97 for a 2-year subscription. I was able to get my subscriptions on a special offer with 20% Micropay rebate, but I guess that won't be happening any more. The Fictionwise magazines are all multiformat as well, which means no geo restrictions and you can read them on any device.

-Marcy
I had a lot of Micropay built up and used most on renewing my subscriptions. I can still find plenty of multiformat books so I hang around Fictionwise.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Were they forced with a pistol next to the brains to sell themselves to the highest bidder and get rich? Was not it their conscious decision to sell themselves for good money, get rich and don't mind the consequences?
Absolutely. I don't blame them for selling, but it was a choice they made, and the consequences have been as expected.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Absolutely. I don't blame them for selling, but it was a choice they made, and the consequences have been as expected.
Agree.
I don't blame them too. We work for profit.
However, some people make them look like angels. They are not. They sold themselves for money with no regards to their customers. That is real life. Business is business.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope they enjoy their $1.5 million because they still haven't paid me money they owe from several years ago.

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #26
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Fictionwise still has a lot of content not available elsewhere, and aggregates a number of publishers who aren't on the agency model. Its non-DRM'd multiformat books are still a good bargain.
During the last big sale, I started searching through the multiformat stuff and found that there's a lot of great new multiformat stuff, too. I ended up "saving" some micropay to get more multiformat stuff. I found a collection of Barbara Roden's short supernatural fiction (I "know" her on-line because of the All Hallows YahooGroup and also because of her work with the Ghost Story Society), and the anthology Federations, both from Prime Books.

I've also been tempted with some of the magazine subscriptions because those are multiformat. However, it seems that in most cases, would be cheaper to buy them in paper format. Then again, at least I wouldn't have to worry about the paper copies taking up space.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
During the last big sale, I started searching through the multiformat stuff and found that there's a lot of great new multiformat stuff, too. I ended up "saving" some micropay to get more multiformat stuff. I found a collection of Barbara Roden's short supernatural fiction (I "know" her on-line because of the All Hallows YahooGroup and also because of her work with the Ghost Story Society), and the anthology Federations, both from Prime Books.

I've also been tempted with some of the magazine subscriptions because those are multiformat. However, it seems that in most cases, would be cheaper to buy them in paper format. Then again, at least I wouldn't have to worry about the paper copies taking up space.
The magazines at FW are 12% cheaper than the print price for a 1-year subscription and 15% cheaper than the print price for a 2-year subscription. Well worth it, since you can keep them forever without taking up tons of space.

I agree that there are some really interesting multiformat books. That's why I believe FW should specialize in those and promote them and give up on the books that everyone else sells cheaper.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #28
Marcy
Guru

Well in an additional death knell FW just stopped offering magazine subscriptions. You can still buy individual issues but they are $3.99 or $3.39 with Buywise. I'm kind of peeved because I was just going to renew when I discovered this.

Clearly they are doing everything to kill of FW. Buywise means a long-term commitment, so kill it. Subscriptions make a long-term commitment, so kill them too. Bummer.

-Marcy
Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I'm starting to get a stong hate on for B & N!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #30
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well in an additional death knell FW just stopped offering magazine subscriptions.
-Marcy
I think someone from B&N must be watching this forum to glean what is still making FW customers happy... and then killing it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote