Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
What is your favorite under $100 reader?

Hi,
The title pretty much says it all. I am searching for a good reader for my dd(10).

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,
The title pretty much says it all. I am searching for a good reader for my dd(10).

Thanks,

Penny
I'd need to know more.

Is she careful with her things, or a bit clumsy? Would she feel ill-used if the device was used? Or if it was monochrome?

What is going to happen in your household if there is accidental damage? Unless everyone is going to take that pretty much in stride, you need something with a no questions asked warranty.

I can tell you what I would have wanted when I was 10, but it might not apply
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Kobo Mini
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Kobo Mini
Second for a Kobo Mini
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My ten year old is loving my old Kobo Touch. A Mini would be great too for text, but perhaps not as good for some heavily illustrated novels. Whatever you choose, get a good, rigid case.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'd need to know more.

Is she careful with her things, or a bit clumsy? Would she feel ill-used if the device was used? Or if it was monochrome?

What is going to happen in your household if there is accidental damage? Unless everyone is going to take that pretty much in stride, you need something with a no questions asked warranty.

I can tell you what I would have wanted when I was 10, but it might not apply
Well...she tries to be careful but...
I will need something that is not super fragile. She does not care if it is used.I also prefer e ink because she would end up on the net if I would get a tablet. She gets distracted way too easy.

Thanks,
Penny
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
If you can find it and enjoy battery life, a Kobo WiFi. That should be really cheap because their last official price point was $40.

If she is a bit clumsier, hit up eBay for a Literati ($15). It had a color screen, is back lit, and the battery stays charged only for 8 hours at a time, but it is cheaper to replace if need be, and uses the same operating system as the Kobo products.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The base model Kindle is $10 less than the base model of Nook or Kobo. And Amazon has a reputation for repeatedly replacing cracked eInk screens, up to the one year warranty expiration (although googling shows that the other brands are also known to replace cracked eInk screens -- policies for cracked color screens are less generous).

Plus with Kindle:

-- Stable software
-- Brand name American kids tend to be impressed by
-- Rudimentary browser (works for reading news web sites like twp.com that, if a child was interested, will IMHO increase store of knowledge more than fiction)
-- Sometimes, but not now, bundled at stores like Staples with a $25 gift card

Cons:

-- Lack of touch screen or keyboard makes it a little harder to use (although this also makes it harder to use for purposes other than reading)
-- Lack of ePub support means slightly fewer public library borrowing options (incompatible with 3M Cloud Library)
-- $30 extra for model without advertising

At her age, I would have been happiest with this, but, then, I was and am a newspaper reader:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item4d0ad0c46f

P.S. Looking at my last link, the item description is not 100 percent correct (does not have the "Pearl" screen). But I have purchased from this vendor without a problem.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 03-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You can get used Nook Touches with pretty covers REALLY cheap on eBay! I'm talking around $50, sometimes even including shipping!
I think the Nook Touch is an awsome device! I don't buy ANYTHING from BN (I'm in Sweden), I sideload everything. Works great!
Even new it's only $79
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I recommend that you not make up your mind without first considering the jetBook Lite at $56.95...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I recommend that you not make up your mind without first considering the jetBook Lite at $56.95...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
Agreed....that device is not as fragile as a Kindle or any other e-ink device, in my opinion.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm going to go Kobo Mini as well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
mointer
mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo mini is pretty good. I'm using too!
mointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is a "dd(10)"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
mystika1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is a "dd(10)"?
Sorry, daughter who is 10 years old.

Penny