Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Don't know about the technology but my guess is it is possible to adjust contrast in the older generation E-ink because when I close a dictionary window in a pdf file the previously covered words became darker than the rest of the page. My speculation is if one can disable the grey scale - render all text to the darkest as default then the contrast will be great.

But it seems that Pocketbook developers never thought this was an important function for their costumers.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #47
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
What you want (other than better a better screen) is stronger hinting when rendering text. Hinting nudges the outlines of a font to better match the display's pixels, sacrificing positional accuracy for local contrast. The "embolden" or "darken" settings on some readers do exactly this; they request the hinter to always push edges outwards, or just darken the anti-aliased edge pixels. Tweaks like these are relatively easy to do for properly free software, but I don't expect it from Adobe as they've made it their mission to restrict what you can or can't do to read your documents.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
What you want (other than better a better screen) is stronger hinting when rendering text. Hinting nudges the outlines of a font to better match the display's pixels, sacrificing positional accuracy for local contrast. The "embolden" or "darken" settings on some readers do exactly this; they request the hinter to always push edges outwards, or just darken the anti-aliased edge pixels. Tweaks like these are relatively easy to do for properly free software, but I don't expect it from Adobe as they've made it their mission to restrict what you can or can't do to read your documents.
Interesting. libfreetype2 is on the Pro devices. I wonder if the apps that use it have autohinting enabled.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurmnev View Post
I'd hold off buying m90, i had it and returned it -- read my review on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R2LODFWXWCCPNO
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
The end of the story is that I got scared by non-screen related issues with Onyx, postponed its purchase and still using my PocketBook. It seems to be the best large ereader option out there at the moment.
It looks like Onyx has managed to engineer a much improved reader now - it is called Boox M92 and users are recommending it. I almost got excited but... at the moment PocketBook 902 costs ~€200 while the new Onyx will set you back a whopping €400!

I've been using PocketBook for 6 months now, got used to using it in the landscape mode, never experienced a single crash, and despite its shortcomings I think that even though it may not be the best large ereader out there it is definitely the best value one.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
M92 is available for sale at http://ereader-store.de/en/ for 339 Euro at the moment. Offer only till 15.03.! Shipping worldwide! Normal price is 354 Euro, not 400 Euro. By the way, PocketBook 902 has no touch screen, whereas M92 has a great Pearl screen with stylus input. I really love it and am writing on a (German) review at the moment, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171810
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #51
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Depending where you look, I guess. If the shop you've found was the only one selling ereaders then the choice would be a no-brainer but...

Anyway, nice find, thanks for the tip even though I personally think that this is still far too expensive
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #52
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

The 902 on Pixmania is actually 220 Euro plus 10 Euro shipping. That's 230 Euro and it has the old E Ink technology, no stylus input, only 2 GB and a slow CPU. Bluetooth and accelerometer are rather useless for my usecase, I think.

But I agree, that ~350 Euro is really a high price, 300 Euro would be perfect. I love the design of my M92 though. It looks so ... premium. PocketBooks before the 622 are rather old-fashioned, to be honest.

Last edited by tuxor; 03-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
machinogodzilla
Addict

Well, the biggest book I got from Safari books (that's a pdf) took about 20MB of space, the smallest about 5MB. 1100MB (usable space) divided by 20 gives 55 books at any time in the worst case. Do you honestly need more? And in the unlikely case that you do there is a microSD card slot, you can get a 16GB (16000MB) card for less than €10.

A faster processor that will stay idle most of the time (something like 99% of time if you read one page in 99 seconds ), I can't see a pressing need for that either.

I find the stylus as useful, as you (and me) find Bluetooth. And regarding the aesthetics, I hardly get excited about a slab of glass even when the bezel is white

What matters to me is the main function, i.e. how well the device can display book pages and it seems that Onyx M92 is much better in this respect. I would not hesitate to get Onyx if I had the money at my disposal but still if I chucked €350 worth of glass into my backpack I would be rather worried...

Seeing Pocketbook in a big retailer like Pixmania is a good sign as this can only drive the prices down. I hope that Onyx will get noticed by the big guys some time soon too.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #54
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
M92 is available for sale at http://ereader-store.de/en/ for 339 Euro at the moment. Offer only till 15.03.! Shipping worldwide! Normal price is 354 Euro, not 400 Euro. By the way, PocketBook 902 has no touch screen, whereas M92 has a great Pearl screen with stylus input. I really love it and am writing on a (German) review at the moment, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171810
Isn't there somewhere a section for advertisements in this forum?
I find this kind of marketing somewhat crude.
I am looking forward to your completely objective "test".
Why don't you open a fan-thread?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #55
tuxor
Addict

Oh come on, don't be boring. Onyx has a really bad reputation since M90. I decided to buy the M92 after some hesitation and found out it's a much better device than this reputation suggests. Of course, it's not doing magic, and you can already read this in the ready parts of my review.

But I think, M92 deserves some better words than astonished or even ironic remarks about users "actually recommending it" and complains about the high price. Of course, I'd love to see more M92 users in the future, because if this reader is successful, we can support the active development of Onyx in the future by custom modifications and so on.

So don't feel offended by some obviously exaggerated words. If you read my review, you will see, that my opinion on the M92 is actually much more differentiated.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #56
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course, I'd love to see more M92 users in the future, because if this reader is successful, we can support the active development of Onyx in the future by custom modifications and so on.

So don't feel offended by some obviously exaggerated words. If you read my review, you will see, that my opinion on the M92 is actually much more differentiated.
There seems to be a substantial cheerleading effort to get as many people as possible to buy this reader.
And a hope that development as a consequence will be faster and better.
This is supposed the other way round. The "normal" customer wants a working product, not a work in progress.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #57
tuxor
Addict

It is not necessarily the other way round. Most of us Linux users know the advantages of not having every feature dictated by a single group of developers, but instead profitting from lots of custom modifications. A huge user base is much more comfortable than an overmotivated team of commercial developers like with Apple. And Linux is not the niche OS anymore that it used to be. More and more "normal" people start appreciating the flavor of freedom of "democratic development"...
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #58
ignacio ferrer
Banned

Quote:
It is not necessarily the other way round. Most of us Linux users know the advantages of not having every feature dictated by a single group of developers, but instead profitting from lots of custom modifications. A huge user base is much more comfortable than an overmotivated team of commercial developers like with Apple. And Linux is not the niche OS anymore that it used to be. More and more "normal" people start appreciating the flavor of freedom of "democratic development"...
I love these ideologies.
Anyway, you confirm my impression, that the people posting their Hail Maries in the forum are used to Linux and all that entails.
Namely little or no concern for the preciousness of time.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
MathieuP
MathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 903 Pro
Well, the fact that I have been a Linux user for ten years now played a big part in my choice of PocketBook over more closed platforms like Kindle or Sony.
The point here is that botj Onyx and PocktBook currently cater to the same segment of the market with the 9xx and Onyx 9x series: technical types, not afraid of a work-in-progress software.
MathieuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #60
machinogodzilla
Addict

Quote:
But I think, M92 deserves some better words than astonished or even ironic remarks about users actually "recommending it"
M90 was a flop (just one example) and you are more than aware of that if you find my phrasing ironic (which, as a matter of fact, was not). I'm not sure how well Onyx handled the case but that bad reputation did not come from nowhere and I have seen quite a few users fuming at Onyx. I don't know if your "cheerleading" does more good or bad to Onyx as it may seem as a desperate (dishonest?) attempt to help it regain the lost ground.

If you like tinkering with gadgets then you should go onto some Linux forum and get a fanbase of users specifically interested in this area or open a separate topic for this purpose. That would get you much better results than broadcasting to a general audience majority of which is not interested in fixing the device they pay hefty price for or in Linux for that matter.

Have a look at this section of the forum apparently dedicated to Pocketbook enthusiasts for some examples.

Tags
902, contrast, kindle, onyx, pocketbook