Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
morana69
morana69 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Cybook Gen 3 (broken)
Upgrading firmware apparantly bricked my Cybook

Just tried to apply the 2.0 firmware to my Cybook. I followed the instructions to the letter.

It started the upgrade as I expected. The progress bar filled repeatedly and the all the dots were filled one by one, but once it had done all of them it just sat there with the updating screen, all dots filled and the progress bar filled and nothing happened.

It still hadn't changed after an hour so I tried to reboot it and now it won't get off the initial Cybook Gen 3 screen and it won't attempt to reflash the firmware either.

Very annoyed. I guess I need to contact Bookeen and see whether they'll repair it, though of course it's now out of warranty (it's 20 months old) and I guess they'll want to charge me.

~ John
morana69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Did you try the other firmware ? It could restart the cycle, and permit you to finally update with the wanted one...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
morana69

Hi,

thanks - haven't tried it at the moment since my Cybook is the only device I have at hand that can read my SD card and since I can't boot it...

Will be picking up a SD card reader at work today.

~ John
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You should contact them, if it's a bug in the firmware update, I think they would take it whatever the warranty of your device. (that's only my personal position, I dunno what they would say, but that seems logical for me)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
morana69

Let's hope so.

I've sent an email to support, so just waiting now to see what they say. Despite their issues regarding communication on when the firmware would be published, I've found the Bookeen support to be good.

BTW - attempting to reflash with a different firmware didn't work.

~ John
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
morana69

Got my RMA from Bookeen today and posted it off.

Despite the problems with communication regarding the firmware, Bookeen support seem to be on the ball with responding to problems.

~ John
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
I have maybe a similar problem with the update. I installed firmware 2.0 on my Opus. After the update the device re-booted over and over.
Then I installed 1.5 which worked flawlessly.
Back to 2,0 and the same reboot loop.

Now I have 1.5 on the thing (before that I had 1.9) but as I want to read ePub, I need 2.0.

Is there anywhere an old 1.9 available to install again?
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, there was no "reflash" version of 1.9; it was only available as a "factory install".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
I have maybe a similar problem with the update. I installed firmware 2.0 on my Opus. After the update the device re-booted over and over.
Then I installed 1.5 which worked flawlessly.
Back to 2,0 and the same reboot loop.

Now I have 1.5 on the thing (before that I had 1.9) but as I want to read ePub, I need 2.0.

Is there anywhere an old 1.9 available to install again?
You should contact Bookeen, this is clearly not normal. 1.5 and 2.0 are nearly the same thing. Only the DRM part change.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
morana69

Got my Cybook back from Paris. Nice service, and they fixed it under warranty.

Now got to try out the features of firmware 2.0 (which they installed for me)

~ John