Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
More generally to others, this business of faster and faster carriers and phones is just a pumped up issue mainly used to sell stuff.,
Today's phones on today's LTE networks are so much better than, for example, my old Palm Centro from just 5 years ago. The improvements are real and very usable, it's not just marketing.

As somebody currently stuck on Sprint's awful 3G service around home but having sampled their 4G service while traveling, I can personally assure you of that.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey
And it's those networks that remove hardware and features, hobble the devices with bloatware, and take forever to push OS upgrades.
Not on iPhones they don't.
That is because Apple have enough clout, and a product that the carriers can't afford not to have, to be able to dictate their own terms. And those terms are that the iPhone is Apple's device, and noone else gets to mess it up.
No single Android manufacturer has that, even if in total the Android market might (or might not) be more important to the carriers.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As noted just now, I have never had to do these things because I ran out of space or was in danger of running out.

I'm just neat about the way I use the phone. I do the same with my ereader even though there's loads of free space on it.

Graham
I don't doubt you. But you are nevertheless limited in what you're able to do with a 8gb phone.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The new Google phone as no removable memory!

That is a nonstarter!

It is like a disease.

Apple.
Amazon.
Now Google.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #35
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:

That is a nonstarter!

It is like a disease.

Apple.
Amazon.
Now Google.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2012/10/31/...t-one-for-you/

My advice is let you wallet decide as there's not a huge difference between them accept of course $200+ quad core CPU , NO samsung touchwiz and some tasty new gizmos.

The nexus 4 screen is a true IPS screen unlike the annoying Pentile type on the S3
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ould-you-care/

But you should remember that when you buy a samusng product you automatically put yourself in a very slow route for upgrades and if you buy a Google device you will always have the latest updates.
So far i have had 3 updates in 3 months for jelly bean since it's release and the 4.2 update is imminent which brings a host of new features and also brings even greater speed to the OS.

Jelly bean 4.2 will increase the gap even more between those that have it and those that are still stuck with ice cream sandwich and even older android versions.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 09:53 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #36
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post

http://www.mobilemag.com/2012/10/31/...t-one-for-you/

My advice is let you wallet decide as there's not a huge difference between them accept of course $200+ quad core CPU , NO samsung touchwiz and some tasty new gizmos.

The nexus 4 screen is a true IPS screen unlike the annoying Pentile type on the S3

But you should remember that when you buy a samusng product you automatically put yourself in a very slow route for upgrades and if you buy a Google device you will always have the latest updates.
So far i have had 3 updates in 3 months for jelly bean since it's release and the 4.2 update is imminent which brings a host of new features and also brings even greater speed to the OS.

Jelly bean 4.2 will increase the gap even more between those that have it and those that are still stuck with ice cream sandwich and even older android versions.
I didn't realize it had IPS. How is it supposed to be in sunlight. That is a big thing for me.

The price is fantazmo!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The HTC Nexus 5 should be making an appearance sometime soon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

That is a nonstarter!

It is like a disease.

Apple.
Amazon.
Now Google.
Google had been doing so for the nexus phones for a while. Despite quitte a few peaple saying it's not a good idea.
And they insist on using only MTP, that is a pain for linux and mac users...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #39
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The HTC Nexus 5 should be making an appearance sometime soon.
If that one is derived from the HTC J Butterfly just announced in Japan, then that is more like what I am looking for.

Quote:
The new device, dubbed the HTC J Butterfly, will sport the same screen size as the recently launched Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and come with a 5-inch 440ppi high-resolution full HD 1920 × 1080 touchscreen display, run Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with Sense 4 on top, and be powered by a Qualcomm 1.5GHz quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM.

It will have 16GB of storage, an 8-megapixel camera on the back, a 2-megapixel camera on the front, and 1080P HD video recording capabilities. You will also be able to expand the storage by a further 32GB via the microSD slot and, as you might expect, it will also have 4G LTE connectivity.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #40
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
I always thought of Samsung's AMOLED displays as superior to other phone displays, including those using IPS technology. Am I wrong? I have a SGS2 and I couldn't imagine a better display.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #41
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

That is a nonstarter!

It is like a disease.

Apple.
Amazon.
Now Google.
At least the Nexus seems to support OTG. Not as neat as a SD-Card slot but usable.

As to LTE I don't quite see the requirement in a mobile device when data plans are still capped but at least I would expect the device to support the frequencies that are being used where I live.
To my knowledge here in Germany the Lumia 920 is going to be the only phone that covers all LTE frequencies. The iPhone 5 doesn't.

Last edited by CommonReader; 11-01-2012 at 06:55 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #42
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
At least the Nexus seems to support OTG. Not as neat as a SD-Card slot but usable.

As to LTE I don't quite see the requirement in a mobile device when data plans are still capped but at least I would expect the device to support the frequencies that are being used where I live.
To my knowledge here in Germany the Lumia 920 is going to be the only phone that covers all LTE frequencies. The iPhone 5 doesn't.
Yes i wondered about OTG access , nice to know the nexus 4 has USB hosting. Another good feature i use on my Nexus 7 so i can connect my 64gb sandisk ultra usb stick and ether stream or transfer the media to my tablet.

In the UK we are in the same boat as Germany and so MANY other countries with poor or no LTE /4G coverage, so it's a waste of money if your a early adopter.

The service is pitiful so far and is very overpriced as i read that they did a uk survey and 70% of current 3G mobile users questioned would not be switching to 4G/LTE because of the high price and coverage.
4G wont become a creditable phone network for some time to come ,at least outside the Usa.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...iew/page3.html

''I can live with HSPA+, especially since it’s cheaper. So why pay extra for high speeds now and then but generally the same speeds I’m getting anyway?''

''I won’t be rushing to use 4G, then, at least not for the time being. EE’s network has the potential to deliver very high broadband speeds, but in too few places. As I said at the start, EE is still building out its network, and coverage can only improve. But there’s little mileage for me in being an early adopter. The Register will continue to monitor EE’s roll-out and, in due course, other operators’ LTE services.''

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Cool

The Nexus 4 looks pretty good to me, although I don't know if I'd do much "reading" on it. It would go well with my Nexus 7 which I'm very happy with, and replace my old steam-driven, 2-year-old Android 2.1 starter phone.

Key features for me:
  • competitive price
  • unlocked (I don't sign contracts, preferring to pay-as-I-go)
  • multi-band support gives me more choice among carriers
  • prefer Google's "open" approach to H/W and S/W, over Apple's proprietary "walled garden"
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #44
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
I always thought of Samsung's AMOLED displays as superior to other phone displays, including those using IPS technology. Am I wrong? I have a SGS2 and I couldn't imagine a better display.
It's a personal preference really I prefer amoled screens myself they have the best blacks and the most vivid colours, I've seen other people arguing super lcd etc is better but those all look kind of washed out and dull to me now.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'd rather have a phone with half the specs but MicroSD and changeable battery also I will admit I just don't like LG as a company.
I cannot tell you the number of times I was able to fix my Thunderbolt by simply taking our the battery. And no miroSD is a nonstarter for a phone.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 4