Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #31
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I find it rather incredible that Google's maps would misplace your current location. The GPS data used by both apps is identical, which means that Google's graphical overlay would have to be off by 5 blocks. Unlikely, IMO. Can you show us this in action?

I am not in Japan, but I have heard from several people that Apple's maps are (were?) particularly weak there.

holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #32
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I installed the new GoogleMap app into my brand new iPhone 5. Just bought last week. GoogleMap showed my position about 5 blocks away from where I actually was, although it did give the correct name for the area in English. The standard map app that came with the phone pinpointed me right to my building.

Stitchawl
I think you probably started google maps first and the GPS took a bit of time to place you accurately. When you started iOS maps it had gotten its satellites in order and was able to place you correctly. As holymadness says, GPS data is the same for both apps.

Obviously you are much wiser than me and you check where your app is taking you BEFORE running in the direction indicated. I forgot to do that a couple of times with iOS map, with rather disastrous results the last time. Neither app, or any GPS app/device for that matter, should be trusted blindly.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #33
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just started up both apps again, this time out on the veranda and the open sky, and this time both are identical, but both are off by one full block. Surprising to me as I figure it can use satellite, cell tower, and wi-fi to get pinpoint accuracy. At the same time I started up my Garmin Zumo GPS bike navigator, and that shows me actually on the correct side of my building, but that is showing that it's picking up nine different satellites.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just started up both apps again, this time out on the veranda and the open sky, and this time both are identical, but both are off by one full block. Surprising to me as I figure it can use satellite, cell tower, and wi-fi to get pinpoint accuracy. At the same time I started up my Garmin Zumo GPS bike navigator, and that shows me actually on the correct side of my building, but that is showing that it's picking up nine different satellites.

Stitchawl
Once the GPS is locked on it is correct. Maps are a different matter. Some mapping programs use road lock to pull the location to the nearest road and sometimes get this wrong, particularly if the two roads are not the same size. Other factors include the fact that most maps are really wrong. They were made before GPS and not updated. Of course many phones use a really poor implementation of GPS using poor antennas and minimum hardware depending on other methods to fill in the gap. Your Garmin is much better. Garmin now makes a Bluetooth model for the iPad, iPhone now that includes both the US and the Russian satellites for even better accuracy. It is called GLO and has the special Apple proprietary features needed to make Bluetooth work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Just FYI, I'm now back to getting about 8 hours of battery life on my iPhone 5 since 6.0.2. Between that and Google Maps, it's probably safe to upgrade now.
It must be only for iPhone 5, because my 4s still says its up to date on 6.0.1.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Yes, 6.0.2 is only for iPhone 5 and the iPad mini, to correct some sort of wifi bug.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
No ads in mine.
The app itself doesn't have ads, but it does allow Google to embed ads at the beginning of videos, which they were previously unable to do on iOS.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #38
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Yes, 6.0.2 is only for iPhone 5 and the iPad mini, to correct some sort of wifi bug.
Quite right. Sorry for not specifying.

Let's hope for the speedy release of 6.1. I saw it's in beta 4, so it can't be far off now.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #39
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Once the GPS is locked on it is correct. Maps are a different matter. Some mapping programs use road lock to pull the location to the nearest road and sometimes get this wrong, particularly if the two roads are not the same size. Other factors include the fact that most maps are really wrong. They were made before GPS and not updated. Of course many phones use a really poor implementation of GPS using poor antennas and minimum hardware depending on other methods to fill in the gap. Your Garmin is much better. Garmin now makes a Bluetooth model for the iPad, iPhone now that includes both the US and the Russian satellites for even better accuracy. It is called GLO and has the special Apple proprietary features needed to make Bluetooth work.

Dale
My Garmin Zumo is Bluetooth enabled, so it connects wirelessly to my helmet speakers. But I never thought to try to see if it will connect to my phone. I'll give that a try!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote