Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Fix TOC that points to wrong chapter?

Somehow, after multiple conversions between formats using Calibre, the TOC in a well-formatted book now always points to one chapter prior to where it is supposed to point. I'd like to fix this but am not entirely sure how. I tried putting header tags around the chapter titles in the hopes that that would allow Sigil to auto-detect the chapter titles, but not only is that very tedious (70-odd chapter book), but it also puts a break in the middle of the title, so the title takes up multiple lines. Is there a way to simply redirect where the links in the TOC point? Also, if I do this will I be safe when I convert from epub back to mobi using Calibre again? Thanks!
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Somehow, after multiple conversions between formats using Calibre, the TOC in a well-formatted book now always points to one chapter prior to where it is supposed to point. I'd like to fix this but am not entirely sure how. I tried putting header tags around the chapter titles in the hopes that that would allow Sigil to auto-detect the chapter titles, but not only is that very tedious (70-odd chapter book), but it also puts a break in the middle of the title, so the title takes up multiple lines. Is there a way to simply redirect where the links in the TOC point? Also, if I do this will I be safe when I convert from epub back to mobi using Calibre again? Thanks!
Question: Is the problem TOC inline (part of a Html page) or the normal 'catalog' one seen in the sidebar (that is the one seen in Sigils TOC editor (press f7) )?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Question: Is the problem TOC inline (part of a Html page) or the normal 'catalog' one seen in the sidebar (that is the one seen in Sigils TOC editor (press f7) )?
I'm not sure entirely what you mean, but I can tell you that when I press f7, the TOC editor does not recognize any chapters.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure entirely what you mean, but I can tell you that when I press f7, the TOC editor does not recognize any chapters.
That is the normal EPUB TOC that Sigil builds from <h#> tags (you have none)

That also tells me that the problem you see is with the Inline type, which is just another book page.

Sorry, I don't know how to do math (to do digit adjustment) with REGEX

If your paste one of your chapter headings (Entire line with tags, copied in Code View ), I might be able to suggest a REGEX for S&R that fould convert those to H# tags that Sigil will use for the standard TOC.
Then after that is working AND SAVED, if there is no special reason to keep the inline TOC, delete that (via the book browser) if it is a separate file.
Calibre can generate a new one from the EPUB, on conversion to Mobi.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
That is the normal EPUB TOC that Sigil builds from <h#> tags (you have none)

That also tells me that the problem you see is with the Inline type, which is just another book page.

Sorry, I don't know how to do math (to do digit adjustment) with REGEX

If your paste one of your chapter headings (Entire line with tags, copied in Code View ), I might be able to suggest a REGEX for S&R that fould convert those to H# tags that Sigil will use for the standard TOC.
Then after that is working AND SAVED, if there is no special reason to keep the inline TOC, delete that (via the book browser) if it is a separate file.
Calibre can generate a new one from the EPUB, on conversion to Mobi.
Here is a bunch of information from the top of one of the files. Thanks for the help. BTW, if it matters at all I am using the x64 Linux versions of both Calibre and Sigil, Calibre 0.8.11, Sigil 0.3.4.

EDIT: The line that is red is the actual chapter header.

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Priestess of the White</title>
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<style type="text/css">
@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

div.sgc-1 {height:0pt}
</style>
</head>

<body class="calibre" id="filepos178">
<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos16949"></div>

<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos178"></div>

<div class="calibre1" id="filepos17136">
<p class="calibre2"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/Priestess_of_the_White_split_003.html#filepos989"> <span class="calibre3 bold calibre9">P</span><span class="calibre10 bold calibre9">ROLOGUE</span></a></p><br class="calibre4" />
<br class="calibre4" />

Last edited by lunixer; 07-24-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Do a search for <p class="calibre2"> to be sure that the only usage is in the Chapter Headers

Code:
Search: <p (class="calibre2">.+)</p>
Replace: <h3 \1<</h3>
then do a single section Search and Replace.
Press F7 to see if the TOC has that correct
Abort the edit if wrong.
change to All HTML and find next, Replace All
F7 to check

Anything that is wrong in the files should be looked at and edited back to <p ... </p>,
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Do a search for <p class="calibre2"> to be sure that the only usage is in the Chapter Headers

Code:
Replace: <h3 \1<</h3>
then do a single section Search and Replace.
Press F7 to see if the TOC has that correct
Abort the edit if wrong.
change to All HTML and find next, Replace All
F7 to check

Anything that is wrong in the files should be looked at and edited back to <p ... </p>,
Thanks for your ongoing help. Unfortunately, it didn't work. For example, in book mode and in the calibre reader, I get this:
Quote:
Replace:
<</h3>PROLOGUE
with this code:

Quote:
<h3 id="heading_id_2">&lt;&lt;/h3&gt;<a class="calibre8" href="../Text/Priestess_of_the_White_split_003.html#filepos989"> <span class="calibre3 bold calibre9">P</span><span class="calibre10 bold calibre9">ROLOGUE</span></a><br />
which was previously this:

Quote:

<div class="calibre1" id="filepos17136">
<p class="calibre2"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/Priestess_of_the_White_split_003.html#filepos989"> <span class="calibre3 bold calibre9">P</span><span class="calibre10 bold calibre9">ROLOGUE</span></a></p><br class="calibre4" />
<br class="calibre4" />
Also, as question: assuming that we can get this fix working, will it work for all of the books that I have with this problem? I've figured out that I have at least eight books that need fixing because of this.

Anyway, thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I see the error there was an extra < in the replace code

it should be:
Replace: <h3 \1</h3>

The way this pattern works:
Search for any line starting with <p class="calibre2">
and ending with </p>
The stuff between the ( ) will be remembered, which will bring along any ID values.

the replace puts a <h3 in the spot that was the <p
that is followed by all the stuff remembered (the \1)
finally we want to end the line with a </h3> (not the <</h3> I stuttered)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
I see the error there was an extra < in the replace code

it should be:

The way this pattern works:
Search for any line starting with <p class="calibre2">
and ending with </p>
The stuff between the ( ) will be remembered, which will bring along any ID values.

the replace puts a <h3 in the spot that was the <p
that is followed by all the stuff remembered (the \1)
finally we want to end the line with a </h3> (not the <</h3> I stuttered)
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still not getting it. Now it says that your "find" pattern doesn't exist in the book. I've attached a screenshot showing my work in Sigil, if you would be willing to take a look and see if I'm doing this correctly. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	252
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	74840  
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still not getting it. Now it says that your "find" pattern doesn't exist in the book. I've attached a screenshot showing my work in Sigil, if you would be willing to take a look and see if I'm doing this correctly. Thanks for the help!
look close. you are missing the ( before the .+
because it was not a pair, it looked for something with a )</p> which is not there
Patterns are exacting
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
look close. you are missing the ( before the .+
because it was not a pair, it looked for something with a )</p> which is not there
Patterns are exacting
Could you please type out exactly what should be in find? I copied/pasted the expression from your first post so I am unclear exactly what I should be using. Once again, thank you for the help.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Could you please type out exactly what should be in find? I copied/pasted the expression from your first post so I am unclear exactly what I should be using. Once again, thank you for the help.
The original find I supplied is correct
Use the corrected replace

Last edited by theducks; 07-26-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The original find I supplied is correct
Use the corrected replace
Code:
I think I have removed all the typos

I cant see your code , is there a calibre2 in the chapter title

Last edited by theducks; 07-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Code:
I think I have removed all the typos

I cant see your code , is there a calibre2 in the chapter title
Still no luck with this pattern. This is what the code for a chapter header (chapter 1) looks like:

Code:
<body class="calibre" id="filepos178">
  <div class="calibre1" id="filepos50625">
    <p class="calibre2"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/Priestess_of_the_White_split_003.html#filepos1441"><span class="calibre5 bold calibre9">1</span></a></p><br class="calibre4" />
    <br class="calibre4" />
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I pasted your code into Sigil 3.4 and My terms into the S&R.
I then Searched. Verified what it found...
Then I clicked Replace
you can see the results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tocSnR.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	74876