Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #61
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
This is just a guess... Looking at your reading device, it is a Kindle? The stanza output line is going to only pull out your epub format books. If you are wanting to use this with the kindle, the output should be something else. Unfortunately I'm too new at this to tell you what.

Just so you know, this could be bad info...

Beau
Good one Beau ! I didn't think about it before reading your answer, thanks !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #62
blysik
blysik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blysik View Post
No, that's super correct! I use a Kindle, and nothing is in epub format. Okay, I'm off to start a mass-convert to epub.
Okay. Finished the convert. Setup the catalog in Stanza on my iphone. Go to the catalog, and try to download a book, and my iphone instantly crashes each time.

Anyone see this?

I notice in stanza.xml that the epub hrefs are NOT url encoded. Does Stanza work property with the spaces in the hrefs?

I tested that I can properly download the epub via Safari, so I know that the url is fine, once encoded.
blysik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #63
blysik

Quote:
I notice in stanza.xml that the epub hrefs are NOT url encoded. Does Stanza work property with the spaces in the hrefs?
Okay, so this turns out to be the problem. If I go and manually replace spaces in URLs with %20, the file downloads fine.

Sounds like a bug in --output-format stanza?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #64
blysik

Quote:
Okay, so this turns out to be the problem. If I go and manually replace spaces in URLs with %20, the file downloads fine.

Sounds like a bug in --output-format stanza?
Opened a bug to track:

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4084
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #65
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, I don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet, but Windows users can put the command to re-generate the Stanza XML file in a .bat file in your Dropbox directory and run it with a double-click.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #66
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab

I'm sorry to report that I'm still somehow being an idiot...

I'm trying to run this command line:

C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre>"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibredb.exe" list --output-format stanza --prefix https://www.sugarsync.com/share/br...........j > stanza.xml

and I get the message: 'C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've tried adding or removing quotes too....

Where did I go wrong?

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #67
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Beau: If you are using a PC to run Calibre you might also want to try using my Calibre2Web program. It should work fine in this environment as well and would give a you a heirarchically structured set of catalog files which you might prefer to use in Stanza.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #68
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:

I'm sorry to report that I'm still somehow being an idiot...

I'm trying to run this command line:

C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre>"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibredb.exe" list --output-format stanza --prefix https://www.sugarsync.com/share/br...........j > stanza.xml

and I get the message: 'C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've tried adding or removing quotes too....

Where did I go wrong?

Beau
You're not actually typing the "C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre>" part, are you ? Because if you are, then my explanations were not clear enough, this is the command prompt, and it show the current directory : I included this to show you haw it should look in the command line...
Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #69
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Beau: If you are using a PC to run Calibre you might also want to try using my Calibre2Web program. It should work fine in this environment as well and would give a you a heirarchically structured set of catalog files which you might prefer to use in Stanza.
This looks excellent, although it would have been even better if it could run independently (without having to configure a datasource in the control panel) and on multiple platforms (on my Mac, for example).

I read that you were in the process of rewriting it in Python, and maybe integrating into Calibre... I hope this will work, and I'm eager to see it in action !

I'll try it on my work PC, but I don't have a network for my iPhone when I'm at work (I'm working in a foreign country), so I'll have to wait until this evening to check...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #70
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
This is just a guess... Looking at your reading device, it is a Kindle? The stanza output line is going to only pull out your epub format books. If you are wanting to use this with the kindle, the output should be something else. Unfortunately I'm too new at this to tell you what.

Just so you know, this could be bad info...

Beau
Wow! That would explain my missing books
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #71
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
You're not actually typing the "C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre>" part, are you ? Because if you are, then my explanations were not clear enough, this is the command prompt, and it show the current directory : I included this to show you haw it should look in the command line...
My command line doesn't open to a specific file, only to -- C:\users\bb> ---can't eliminate it, can't start a new line without it.

I have tried continuing the addressing to the specific calibre file, adding the rest of the command with the same message. Adding parts 2 and 3 gets a long pause and nothing. I know there is something I'm being stupid about, I just don't know what, sorry.

This is not something related to your instructions, I just need to figure out how to apply them in my environment. You've gone above and beyond and I do appreciate it.

Beau (the bonehead... )
Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #72
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Ok, welcome to command-line-fu 101

The command line is the interface to the operating system. By typing commands, you give orders to the system and execute operations.

Each command executes in its own environment, which is composed of a lot of different parameters and variables, the most important being the working directory.

This is the directory in which the command will be executed ; every relative file path is relative to this working directory. The prompt (i.e. the beginning of the command line that is fixed and written by the operating system) usually includes the working directory, in order to make it explicit.

For example, the command copy c:\tmp\test.txt toto.txt contains two file paths : one, absolute, points to the file c:\tmp\test.txt ; the other, relative, points to the file toto.txt in the working directory

The command that changes the working directory is the command cd.

So, in your case, when you open a command line interface, the working directory seems to be C:\users\bb ; change into the calibre library folder, for example cd C:\Users\bb\Desktop\calibre if that's the correct path, and note that the prompt changes accordingly. Then, type the command...

Hope this helps,
David.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #73
Beau
Connoisseur

Thank you Sensei, you are too kind to your humble student.

I'm currently suffering from a turkey induced coma compounded by too much food and wine in general. My next step was going to be to try to find more complete directions for using the command line, and I thank you for saving me the trouble. I'll probably get to trying again sometime tomorrow as you couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere on 'Black Friday'.

Thanks again David, you're the best!

Beau
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #74
Beau
Connoisseur

Ok, I've fought past the coma, and have gotten the process to run. (Thank you David ).

When I go to the shared link, I get a "catalog error" message. I'm guessing this has more to do with the link I'm using to navigate to sugar sync then anything else. They provide a special link to be shared with anyone accessing the folder rather then the actual html. I'll see if I can find a different link and retry.

Beau
Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #75
abrazor
abrazor began at the beginning.

Is there an entry with step by step instructions to set this up? I have dropbox and an ipodtouch and stanza so I would like to use it.
abrazor is offline   Reply With Quote