Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Book format question ( about books ive converted )

Hi again /wave

Little back ground, I currently have a ebookwise 1150 ( have my PB360 on order and coming soon ), as such I have a lot of books ive converted over to Imp format.

In the process of which Ive created RTF versions as backups to be able to format and edit errors etc.

My question is, would it be better to convert the RTF books over to epub to read them ? or leave them as RTF and read them that way?

I dont mind convertting them again ( some nice utilites here etc ), but woudl there be a advantage to it with the 360 as it has support for RTF?

Thank you
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
I'm not very sure how you can do it, but if you find a way to convert your rtfs to FB2s, you'd enjoy this great format!

Last edited by SharonFruit; 03-10-2010 at 12:43 PM.
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go with ePub. ePub is the standard now and if you were to purchase yet another reader, you'd be able to read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
...on the other hand, the PB360 will display the RTFs nicely as is, with no effort required.

Still, if you have the time to convert to epub (calibre can do the honors well enough) and you use the updated FBReader, you *will* get a nicer presentation with proper chapter breaks.

Just make sure to keep the rtfs handy.
History has shown that a lot of "eternal" standards turn out to have shorter lives.
Rtfs, however, are likely to join cockroaches at the end of time.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Doesn't the PB360 support ADE? If you are stuck with FBReader for ePub, I'd send it back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Doesn't the PB360 support ADE?
It does.
But FBReader is, in my opinion, much better program for reading epubs. It allows me to override any formating epub has to my liking.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
...on the other hand, the PB360 will display the RTFs nicely as is, with no effort required.

Still, if you have the time to convert to epub (calibre can do the honors well enough) and you use the updated FBReader, you *will* get a nicer presentation with proper chapter breaks.

Just make sure to keep the rtfs handy.
History has shown that a lot of "eternal" standards turn out to have shorter lives.
Rtfs, however, are likely to join cockroaches at the end of time.
Oooh i wasnt planning on getting rid of the RTFs =)

thats my "backup / storage" format of choice so that ill always have access to the books I buy.

Hmm ok based on responses ... what I think ill do is when i get the 360 ill take a book and convert it to epub and check out both copies on it.

one of the things thats been driving me nuts ( and yeah its strange ), is the fact that in the RTF I have new chapters starting on a new page, just makes sense to me. When i read them on 1150 it just runs em together, so ill try and see what happens=)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Doesn't the PB360 support ADE? If you are stuck with FBReader for ePub, I'd send it back.
Oh, the PB360 has full Adobe kool-aid support; a decent enough implemenation, too, with dictionary, search, links that work, etc.
But the consensus among us PB360 owners is that for DRM-free reading, the Pocketbook platform's implementation of FBReader is head and shoulders above any ADE out there.

For details, check this:
http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...eader180_guide

The thing is, like the PB360 itself, almost totally configurable to the reader's specs. There are 19 separate top-level customization settings, beyond the ability to use any TrueType/Opentype font at prety much any font size. One of those top-level settings leads to a custom style-sheet function that lets you define another 37 settings, *each* getting 14 parameters or so.

Not to say to say it is perfect (proper Chapter breaks are only detected/implemented for ePub--most defiitely *NOT* for RTF) and it does lack some of the features of Coolreader on, say, the Hanlins, but it is (like the PB360 itself) rock solid stable and getting better fast. (Plus, turning pages by flicking the reader is kinda cool.)

The good news is that the PB360 lets you set the default reader app so a single button press will open it with the reader app of *your* choice and a long-press opens up a file management menu that allows among any other things, opening it with the alternate reader.

So, basically, if you want your reading display parameters defined by somebody else, you can use ADE. Or if you want it *your* way, you use FBReader.

Most of us seem to prefer FBReader.
(One of these days somebody ought to run a poll.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote