Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
LaTex on kindle.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to run latex on the kindle. That is compile a document to a pdf and then view it with the kindles viewer.

I was thinking this could be run in the terminal using vi or something to write the document.

I have a need to generate quick invoices and this would be a great thing to be able to do on my kindle.

I have looked around to see if there is an arm version of latex around but cant find one.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, Debian on ARM should have texlive packaged.

I'm very interested in something like this myself, as I'm currently playing a bit with muPDF in order to create a PDF reader for the Kindle (yes, PDF is already supported, but I want something that I can configure some more and maybe integrate some of the PDF re-fit tools floating around). So I would like to know about your experiences.

I also found this thread here in the forums about conversion of epub to pdf: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75272
Though this would probably not help for your use case. I found a whole lot of information about going from Latex to EPub, but not the other way around.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I'm very interested in something like this myself, as I'm currently playing a bit with muPDF in order to create a PDF reader for the Kindle (yes, PDF is already supported, but I want something that I can configure some more and maybe integrate some of the PDF re-fit tools floating around). So I would like to know about your experiences.
Hi,

I am very glad to hear that someone is working on a better PDF support for Kindle. The duokan's reader is good, but it would be great if we have an open source one that we could make even better.
Actually the last week I cross-compiled poppler and tested the poppler-qt4viewer demo on my DXG. It works ok, but is noticeably slower than both the stock reader and Duokan. I wonder if the reason is in the demo itself (as far as I can see it uses a rather dumb method to update the page images) or the Qt/Embedded screen driver(I am using the one that comes with fbKindle).
What are your impressions of muPDF so far? I tried to compile it on my desktop, but for some reason it refuses to render properly some PDFs. For example, for this one all pages are blank.
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Maybe i should clarify. I'm not looking for a method to convert between formats, I'm looking at creating basic documents from scratch on the kindle and then making a pdf with latex.

Latex should run on any linux system its just getting the right binaries for the platform. The debain on kindle route might work but I would prefer to just open up a terminal on my kindle and be able to quickly switch back to the kindle software. At the moment I have optware installed in a virtual partition so something similar to that would be desirable. I'll take a look at the debain idea though but it does look rather complicated to run.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
@vdp: Haha, I also went the poppler-qt4 route - and found it to be slow :-) I had good experiences with muPdf on Android before, so I'm trying it now. From a first quick look, it seems to be much faster that poppler-qt4. I think it's just the overhead of Qt4 - and some sloppy C++ habits. The culprit really is that the device isn't too fast, and it has low RAM resources. I think I'm not too far from a first demo, I'll open a new thread here (and will provide code on github) when it "works". It's quite OT here, though.

@wiccan2 / on topic:

I mentioned it because it is packaged and already compiled. I doubt you'll find a compiled version tailored for the Kindle specifically, this is probably the most simple approach. The kindle's root partition is too small to hold a full-fledged LaTeX installation, I think. So you would resort to an image file on /mnt/us, at least to have a file system for LaTeX. This is more or less the Debian route anyway, so I would just use it.

The alternative is to compile a special-tailored version for the kindle. Well, I'm not too optimistic that this will happen soon. Cross-compiling just isn't a fun hobby. And compiling on the Kindle would take ages, I guess...

Last edited by hawhill; 11-07-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: text draft left-overs removed
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
I was going to do it sometime, so your post prompted me to do it now. maemotex is a small self contained distribution of TeX for arm linux.

The file here is an installation file for maemotex on kindle. Make sure you have launchpad installed, copy the file to customupdates/ subdirectory and press shift shift I on the kindle.

After installing, add /mnt/us/m-linux/usr/local/maemotex/070802/bin/armel-maemo to your PATH and use the command pdflatex.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
wiccan2
Connoisseur

@Matan

That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thank you.

@hawhill

The set up i currently have is a 500mb ext3 image file on my user store (/mnt/us) this holds my optware installation hence my reluctance to use debian as it would require another 500mb image just to use latex. I was looking for a way to run linux either from user store as Matan's solution does using symlinks or by storing it on my image file.

On another note, I know this is off topic but is there any way to get the path to stick to whats been set as every time my kindle reboots i have to reenter it all again.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
The path issue depends on the shell you run and the way you run it. For example. if you use my terminal emulator, then it runs /mnt/us/myts/profile on starts, so you can put path setting commands in this file.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Indeed I do use your terminal, its a great improvement over the original. I've been setting the path using the export command so I had to reenter everything every time I rebooted. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Very interesting! I thought the CPU of a Kindle (and the battery life as well) was way too weak to run something like LaTeX... Well done!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
Very interesting! I thought the CPU of a Kindle (and the battery life as well) was way too weak to run something like LaTeX... Well done!
Don't forget that LaTeX was created in the early 1980s. The best Mac of the 1980s was the IIci - a 25MHz (yes, twenty-five MHz) 32-bit 68030 processor with a maximum of 8MB, since more than 8MB couldn't be used by the operating system.

The Kindle Keyboard has a 532MHz 32-bit ARM processor with 256MB of RAM.
That's a lot faster and a lot more memory than any 1980s personal computer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
That's very true... I still wonder why my graduation thesis in LaTeX used to take like 5 minutes to compile in 2005 (on a 2001 or so computer).

I mean, I remember LaTeX was something massive, it took hundreds of MBs to install and was really slow. I guess the problem is the Windows port and maybe I had too many unnecessary packages installed.

Thanks a lot for the historical clarification!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
wiccan2
Connoisseur

My 3rd year dissertation took about the same amount of time to run through latex and this was last year. I'm wondering how long it would take the kindle.

Unfortunately the invoices I wanted to create on the kindle return an error. I was hoping to be able to generate invoices while I was on the go. I'll need to look into why it failed, probably a missing package.