Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
hassan
hassan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 startup failure. recovery chances?

Hi

I did something really stupid with my Kindle3! On recovery menu I pressed both 'I' and 'O' buttons, and the result is useless kindle

Is there any chance to recover it?

Can I use a Serial Plug? If answer is yes, how I must use it?

please
hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
If you can, ask Amazon support. It's the easiest way by far for all of us here.
Otherwise:
- if you had yifanlu's replacement kernel installed, you'd probably know anyway how to get out of this, so you probably hadn't.
- thus: you need serial console to get into export-all-partitions-via-USB mode
- you will need to recover the export password for this. instructions are here in the forums.
- you will need a root partition image for your kind of kindle.
- you will need knowledge on how to dump that image to the USB exported root partition

All steps have been done before, questions on them have been answered here in the forums, so you should be able to find answers here. I think you should ask yourself if you're able to do those steps and then start with the most complicated part, which would be serial console access (from my perspective, since it involves custom made hardware).

Carefully read up on each step. Check twice before doing something. Ask specific questions when they arise.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
hassan
hassan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
If you can, ask Amazon support. It's the easiest way by far for all of us here.
Otherwise:
- if you had yifanlu's replacement kernel installed, you'd probably know anyway how to get out of this, so you probably hadn't.
- thus: you need serial console to get into export-all-partitions-via-USB mode
- you will need to recover the export password for this. instructions are here in the forums.
- you will need a root partition image for your kind of kindle.
- you will need knowledge on how to dump that image to the USB exported root partition

All steps have been done before, questions on them have been answered here in the forums, so you should be able to find answers here. I think you should ask yourself if you're able to do those steps and then start with the most complicated part, which would be serial console access (from my perspective, since it involves custom made hardware).

Carefully read up on each step. Check twice before doing something. Ask specific questions when they arise.
First of all Amazon support is not an option for me!
And after some search now:
I have my recovery password,
I know how to get root partition image from my friends kindle,
I know how to dump the image to exported root partition
I know how to create the plug

BUT I do not have any 1.8v USB-to-TTL

Can I use a 3.3v adapter or it will damage my device?
And I don't know how to attach the plug to adapter? (I mean which pin is GND which is RX ...)
hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Sorry, I did not yet went through this so I'm of not much help at this point. I would not suggest to use 3,3V adapter on 1,8V device - at least not before you heard of positive experiences with doing this. The risk of permanent damage always is on the side of the device with the lower voltage. In the worst case, you must build a level converter.

For the layout, have a look at these threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96442
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99177
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quick-n-Dirty TTL voltage conversion:

EDIT: Several people have reported success just using a 3.3v USB TTL adapter to connect to a 1.8v TTL kindle serial port, so level conversion may not be needed, depending on what USB adapter you are using. If you want to play it safe though, you can try the following suggestions.

You can cut the 3.3v or 5v TTL signal down to 1.4v with a resistor (1K to 10K, but lower is better for high data rate) and two silicon diodes in series (TTL in -> resistor -> diode 1 -> diode 2 -> ground, wired so that the diodes are forward-biased and conducting current). Silicon diodes have a 0.7v drop across them, so two give 1.4v, which should be fine for 1.8v TTL logic.

EDIT: A red LED has a voltage drop af about 1.8v when current is flowing through it. You could use a red LED instead of two silicon diodes. Do not use blue or green LEDs, which have a 3.4v voltage drop. Bright blue LEDs have an even higher voltage drop.

A USB serial cable may be tolerant of the 1.4v low input voltage (try it). If you need to boost the output, you can connect the 1.4v output through a reverse-biased diode to the 3.3v or 5v input, with a pull-up resistor on the higher-voltage input. The resistor pulls the high voltage input pin high, while the diode lets the 1.4v TTL logic to pull the pin to ground through the diode.

You can implement both circuits with two resistors and three silicon diodes.

The downside is that this simple method draws extra battery power through the resistors while idle, so it should be disconnected when not used. You can read more about TTL level conversion here:
http://www.pericom.com/pdf/applications/AN066.pdf

UPDATE: Here is the level shifter circuit that I used with a 3.3v TTL USB serial adapter, to recover my Kindle Touch using the internal serial port:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-27-2011 at 02:56 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
recovery, recovery mode