Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
OK!

I ran through all the 2412 files on the kindle.

I compared all md5sum's in /test/diags/factory/rootfs_md5_list

Every single file on my kindle is pristine with the exception of 1,

1) /etc/shadow has been changed, as i suspected

Also, there was one oddity: Out of the 2412 files in /test/diags/factory/rootfs_md5_list, there is oddly a *directory* listed in there as well:

This directory is

21b2058b72744f954222c7f2005ea92e /etc/kdb.src/luigi/

I don't even know how to md5sum a directory node, because it just returns nothing, so I do not know if this directory matches, but I presume it does since I changed nothing in there.

Also, there was 1 other file, i deem non relevant:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /opt/config/not_shipped

It appears to be a file to tell the kindle that it has never been used, and as such this file does not exist on my kindle, but that is an md5 of an empty file.

Anyway, so this should be pretty simple. Do I have to interactively have to change the root password back to something?

Is it safe to try changing the root password to 'luigi' or 'fiona'?

Or is it safe to modify the /etc/shadow file itself?

Or if someone here gave me the contents of /etc/shadow, would that work?

I don't want to lock myself out of telnet thats for sure.

Last edited by bookreader1; 11-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

SUCCESS! (mostly)

It turns out there was actually a "/etc/shadow-" that was created automatically when I changed the root password, that I never noticed earlier.

This shadow- file had the right md5sum. So I replaced my bad one with this one.

Here is the hash from the shadow file for the correct root password if anyone else needs it:

root:$1$ibWXYDOU$gUfezZkdJTYGzCzwSUT5X.:10933:0:99 999:7:::

Strangely, I could not find a single other reference to this, so hopefully this helps others.

It's hard to believe I am the first person in Kindle history that changed my root password and could no longer update my kindle.

So now every single file on my kindle is pristine factory condition.

Now I was finally able to update the Kindle to firmware 3.3, and then i removed the jailbreak.

For whatever reason, I still cannot register this kindle.

I am speculating that either the jailbreak permanently changed a file not visible in the root filesystem, as evidenced by the fact that my WIFI only kindle thinks it is a 3G model...

...or that Amazon themselves has screwed something up on their server side for my Kindle, because when I enter my KIndle serial number into the Amazon.com webpage from a computer, I get:

"We couldn't register your Kindle because it is currently registered to another Amazon account"

QUESTIONS:
- Why does my Kindle (B008) Wifi only model still show as "WI-Fi and 3G"? If I am not mistaken, this starting showing this way after the Jailbreak? How is this possible if all the files were pristine? Do the jailbreak do something ir-reversible?
- Should an "unregistered" Kindle still be able to choose "Shop at Kindle Store" from the menu?

At this point, I have likely exhausted all recourse except contacting Amazon.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
bookreader1
Enthusiast

OK.

Looks like the essence of the problem is that during some portion of the jailbreak, the unit's brain got confused and it thinks it is a 3G and Wifi model instead of just the WIFI model that it is.

Therefore, it is trying to use the 3G modem when it connects to Amazon.

But since the 3G modem does not exist, it fails.

Why did this happen?

How do I make the kindle realize its just the WIFI only model again??

I do recall reading here somewhere, before I jailbroke, that having the unit falsely report itself was 3G was one of the known issues of some process, but that it was cosmetic only.

It appears that it is not cosmetic only.

Can someone please point me to that thread that describes this cosmetic issue? I don't know how to find it again.

Log says:

wifid[2955]: E wif_u:manufcode::Invalid manufacturer code

Last edited by bookreader1; 11-20-2011 at 09:29 PM.