Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Tsaukpaetra
Tsaukpaetra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Thumbs up Keeping Wifi on?

Finished jailbreaking my (self-repaired) Kindle 3 Wifi and am excited about the possibilities.
However, I find that the unit automatically sleeps when not in use. This should come as a no-brainer, but when using ssh it's kind of annoying when the session gets disconnected and terminated due to the kindle not being "touched". I've heard that you can keep the unit out of sleep by keeping it plugged, but is there a way to temporarily keep the unit awake during active wifi sessions?
I would assume the unit itself would keep itself awake when downloading books, but not having delved into the system very much yet I'm not sure what signals etc. to invoke this or maybe just tell the unit its' still in use.
Any help is appreciated!
Tsaukpaetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
If I am correct I think there is a hack called kaffeine that will keep the kindle awake. It should be here in the developers section somewhere.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Tsaukpaetra
Tsaukpaetra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiccan2 View Post
If I am correct I think there is a hack called kaffeine that will keep the kindle awake.
Yes, that's close to what I'm thinking of. I think that will work, since I don't know of any way to monitor the wifi device for activity...
Thanks boss!
Tsaukpaetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
kt23
kt23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaukpaetra View Post
Yes, that's close to what I'm thinking of. I think that will work, since I don't know of any way to monitor the wifi device for activity...
Thanks boss!
yes, fbdev's kaffeine will help. thanks fbdev again.

but you should note this: it will waste your kindle's battery, just like you are reading.

i found when kindle charging, the wifi is always ON. so try this
kt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Another tidbit: /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout contains the sleep time in seconds. (If you change it, you need to do a /etc/init.d/powerd restart for it to take effect.)

That said, kaffeine totally rocks. Once you get it on your kindle somewhere, you can just run it as soon as you ssh in.. and then run it again when you leave. I have another option though, in case you think you might forget to close it when you're done...

Here's a script that I use (via launchpad) when I'm going to sleep listening to music with kinamp (made by the same developer as kaffeine) and want the music to keep going for only 90 minutes.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep_pid=`ps -C exe -o pid,args | awk '/sleep 5400/{print$1}'`                           

## if another instance of this script (more specifically: the sleep) is already running, kill it
if [ -n "$sleep_pid" ] ; then
    echo "CANCELLED SLEEP TIMER"
    kill $sleep_pid

## else, sleep for 90 min (5,400 sec), then kill kinamp & kaffeine
else
    echo "90min SLEEP TIMER ENABLED at `date +%r`"
    sh -c 'sleep 5400; pidof kinamp >/dev/null && kinamp; pidof kaffeine >/dev/null &&
 kaffeine 3; echo "END OF SLEEP TIMER REACHED -- KILLED K & K"'
fi
I run it with fbout, another app by fbdev, in order to see the messages on the kindle itself. Launchpad config line:
Space = !/mnt/us/launchpad/sleeptimer.sh |fbout&

In your case, you could drop this script into /mnt/us/sleep, say, and then when you ssh, just run it like /mnt/us/sleep& and you'll be good to go.

PS: I have symlinks in /usr/bin for things like kaffeine, kinamp, fbout. So anyone using this will need to tweak the paths for those tools appropriately. Also, if you're not using kinamp and just want this script to have a timer on kaffeine, well, that's fine. It checks to see if kinamp is running and if it isn't, well.. it doesn't do anything.

PPS: For any linuxy people who got all that in one shot, I lied: I don't really run the script |fbout. I actually have the |fbout part in the script itself (after the three echos) to avoid some un-prettiness; however, I figured I'd make things a little simpler for folks that don't have fbout installed.

Last edited by ryran; 11-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote