Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
American spelling is one thing. What I really don't like is when books are "localised" to a much greater extent. A good example are the US versions of the Harry Potter books; to a British reader it's very strange to read a book which is obviously set in Britain, but which has "automobiles", "parking lots", "mail slots" and "sneakers" instead of the British "cars", "car parks", "letter boxes" and "trainers" of the original British book. I really do think that's going too far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #62
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Wow. They actually translated from British to American English?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Wow. They actually translated from British to American English?
Unfortunately, yes. Certainly for the first book. I don't have US editions of the later books, but I'd imagine that the same was done for those.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #64
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
As an Aussie I learned early on not to even bother legitimately trying to purchase from US sites such as Fictionwise or Diesel, since the GR bit me every time. I've been happily getting epubs from the book depository in the UK until a couple of days ago, when a download failed due to GR (kraken by china mieville). Not a happy camper
I've spent hundreds of $ on ebooks but GR is doing its best to stop me.

And don't get me started on americanisation of english, or kids walking on my lawn...
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #65
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
American spelling is one thing. What I really don't like is when books are "localised" to a much greater extent. A good example are the US versions of the Harry Potter books; to a British reader it's very strange to read a book which is obviously set in Britain, but which has "automobiles", "parking lots", "mail slots" and "sneakers" instead of the British "cars", "car parks", "letter boxes" and "trainers" of the original British book. I really do think that's going too far.
Reportedly they also changed 6th form (last year at school, 17-18) to 6th class (last year of junior school, 11-12), in their first printing of one of the books, which gave a new slant to some of the goings on!
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #66
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Now I'm affected.

Cant buy the cheap kindle versions on the Amazon UK site.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #67
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I am finding less and less reason to buy from the US and UK now that Borders AU have opened their ebookstore as their prices are currently better than the US and UK on some titles.
As an example the brand-new Random House thriller The Ocean Dark was AU$5.95 at Borders AU, GBP4.40(AU$9) at WH Smiths in UK and US$7.19(AU$8) at BooksOnBoard.
It also depends on what books you want to read though. I still have some credit at BoB and Sony but I'll save that for specials I think.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #68
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Actually, I'm starting to progressively notice a steady decline in incidences of georestrictions in my presence. With Borders and A&R in Australia releasing ebook stores combined with Waterstones and local publishers with their ebook stores, its becoming less of an issue.
I wish some ebooks were cheaper though. For instance, Dominic Knight has release a book called Comrades - and since University of Sydney is currently a topic of interest to me I was interested; but the interest drops off when it turns out it costs $32.95!
http://www.randomhouse.com.au/Books/...2740904/eBook/
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #69
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I was thinking more of the CC... I can't download certain books at FW anymore, because I don't have an US registered CC, for exampe.
I built my own computer while in Malaysia, used it in Singapore, Thailand, and Japan, have never had a US internet provider, and currently use a fibre optic line with my ISP here in Japan. I never even heard of a 'US registered CC' before you mentioned it. When I register for a US-based bookstore, I sign in as living in the US. Nothing more complicated than that, except perhaps for the initial start-up turn off the Internet connection to initialize the program. It then accepts what ever I've typed in as fact, and never checks again.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #70
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I built my own computer while in Malaysia, used it in Singapore, Thailand, and Japan, have never had a US internet provider, and currently use a fibre optic line with my ISP here in Japan. I never even heard of a 'US registered CC' before you mentioned it. When I register for a US-based bookstore, I sign in as living in the US. Nothing more complicated than that, except perhaps for the initial start-up turn off the Internet connection to initialize the program. It then accepts what ever I've typed in as fact, and never checks again.

Stitchawl
I think CC means credit card. Some stores check the country of the credit cards, others check your IP address. And they change their strategies all the time. That's why I gave up trying to outsmart them, what works one day will stop working the next, it's just not worth the hassle IMO.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A US registered credit card is one whose billing address is in the US. I am a credit card merchant myself, and when I sell a product online I'm required to check that the shipping address for the product matches the billing address for the card, as a protection against people trying to use stolen credit card details. I can't find out what the card's billing address is, but the software I use to authorise a credit card transaction tells me whether or not the address the customer has supplied is valid for that card.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #72
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A US registered credit card is one whose billing address is in the US. I am a credit card merchant myself, and when I sell a product online I'm required to check that the shipping address for the product matches the billing address for the card, as a protection against people trying to use stolen credit card details. I can't find out what the card's billing address is, but the software I use to authorise a credit card transaction tells me whether or not the address the customer has supplied is valid for that card.
And this is how virtual credit cards can be useful, as they always return true for that check, regardless of the address supplied.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #73
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
While in Europe, I received an email ad from Amazon.

Followed the link and observed the kindle book sold by Amazon costs US$19.34 but after logging in to US based Amazon account, the publisher offers the same ebook for US$12.99. Amazon does not offer the book.

Quite a price difference. Copies attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sw_eu.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	56297   Click image for larger version

Name:	sw_us.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	56298  
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #74
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I agree that for e-books, the rights should be sold by language, not by country***

And I couldn't agree more fully, Bev. But there is a hitch.

My own wee publishing house contracts both treebooks and ebooks for publication in a single international English language edition and for simultaneous release, as do many smaller indies (and, indeed most self-publishing authors also go single-edition in PoD treebook and ebook), so there's no problem with us, unless a third-party retail outlet slaps on its own uninvited geographical restrictions for some mysterious and never explained reason.

The bigger houses, though, usually take English language rights to treebook and ebook on a country-specific basis and release dates for the same title are often wildly staggered.

Agents and their sub-agents, quite understandably, negotiate the very best separate deals they can for an author client's book in, say, the US, UK, Canada and Australia; anywhere with an English-reading customer base that can potentially support a title.

Sometimes, a house will buy international rights to a title and either work through its own imprints in various countries or even on-sell publication rights to another house in whatever country is targeted. So, again, release dates of a title in treebook and ebook are not likely to coincide and ISBNs differ. If an international retailer were to sell an ebook in some countries it would undermine the strategy of the publishing house with local rights if his release is behind that of the first digital publisher in the line.

Sometimes the cover is different in each country (the art work, edit and internal text design usually being the copyright of the individual publisher); also the English standard of spelling might be adjusted in edit on a country-specific basis; inside text designs may differ; even content might be re-worked to local taste; and, of course, release dates on any given title can be wildly different from country to country and publisher to publisher.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see an end to this in treebooks or ebooks until major publishers have their backs pressed even harder against the wall and book deals are negotiated by an agent by bringing together an international consortium of publishers in each relevant country who will agree a simultaneous release date for their editions of a title and simultaneous launch of both paper and digital editions.

Cover work and English standard might still be adjusted in treebooks for a long time to come to cater to local market appeal, but the very nature of ebook sales (and ebook and treebook release dates should and must coincide) would make differing cover art and language standard a matter of disproportionate effort and surplus to requirements.

This is, perhaps, why agents dealing with the Big Six should negotiate ebook rights separately on the firm basis that both ebook and treebook would have the same international release date.

I'm not sure of the morality issue in an agency actually publishing ebooks themselves -- especially on a store-specific basis, a la Andrew Wylie with his Odyssey operation and exclusive deal with a single retailer, Amazon. Then again, Wylie's job is to pull the best deal possible for his clients (and for the Wylie Agency, of course), so I for one understand this recent move. Whether or not I agree with it is quite another matter, but I must disqualify myself from comment on the grounds of vested interest.

I realise that big houses would find a treebook-only deal less attractive these days and I can see the reason (dubious as it might be) for the big houses whose older contracts contain no mention of digital rights but who fight to assume them anyway (to the extent that Random House will not now do business with Wylie). But the industry is standing on its head right now and we'll see huge changes very soon. Hopefully to the benefit of readers and authors ... possibly even to publishers in the long run.

Best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

Last edited by neilmarr; 08-07-2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: trypos -- my laptop keyboard is on its last legs.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #75
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And this is how virtual credit cards can be useful, as they always return true for that check, regardless of the address supplied.
Which one can you recommend?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote