Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #31
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
No punctuation in sight. It's kind of ironic for someone selling literature. Should have been...
much better

glad i have disabled it, never buy any books for full price from kobo
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #32
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Thanks for the heads up. I have had a Kobo account for over a year, and on a whim upon seeing this post I logged into my account, and found I had been opted into this.

I quickly changed my preferences back to allow regular/normal checkout/options and the use of coupon codes etc which I know it was on originally as I've used codes/coupons in the past and have never opted into quick buy.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #33
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Thanks for the heads up from me too.

I found that I was allowed to be 212 years old, but being born in the 18th century is not valid...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #34
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Another one thanking you for drawing attention to this new feature so that I can avoid it.

I'm even voluntarily signed up for Kobo newsletters - strange they haven't bothered to tell customers about this new feature!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Thanks for the warning
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Maybe I'm just extra crabby this morning, but I'm kinda pissed that I went to my account and found I was opted into "quick buy" without my knowledge.

Since their regular prices are pretty much always higher than buying elsewhere I only buy from Kobo when a coupon is available so "quick buy" holds zero interest for me. Instead of adding this they should have added a cart option which is something a lot of people have actually asked for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #37
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe I'm just extra crabby this morning, but I'm kinda pissed that I went to my account and found I was opted into "quick buy" without my knowledge.
It's not just you. I went to check, thinking 'nope not me I never opted in and have had an account for over a year' but thought better to be safe than sorry.

I was less than pleased to find I was opted in and I had to give extra details before it would allow me to opt out as when I originally hit the 'save' button after changing the setting it wouldn't allow me to do that without filling in other extra details with no baring on what I was fixing.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And, to make matters worse, in order to opt-out of Quick Buys, I have to enter a First Name, Last Name and Date of Birth on the profile page.

As these are optional fields, there should not be a requirement.

And, Kobo is quick happy to believe that I'm 157 years old.
Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention!
I too was angered that they need further confirmation of MY personal information. If it weren't for coupon codes I'd dump Kobobooks all together and just use Amazon or even Sony!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I was opted in as well. However, I haven't tried to purchase a new ebook recently. I can only assume that we'd get the aforementioned pop up the first time we tried to purchase something with this new option, which would give us the opportunity to turn it off.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
When I was presented with the pop-up I unchecked it. I then went into my account to see if this affected the option and indeed it had. I was not opted in and did not have to provide my name and age to activate the change. I have checked out and in several times and clicked the buy now button each time to make sure that I am indeed opted out and it appears to have worked.

Hope this is helpful.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #41
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I confirmed my birthdate and being an optimist I'm kinda hoping they'll send me a coupon when the day comes around
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I confirmed my birthdate and being an optimist I'm kinda hoping they'll send me a coupon when the day comes around
I too am hoping for a birthday coupon. There is a $200 book I want and am just waiting for that magic 90% off coupon... Ok, I'll settle for 75% off.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Wishful thinking, but I hadn't actually considered that possibility. My birthdate was set to 1/1 when I checked (in reality it's 5/5 in case any of you want to send me gifts...), but the year was correct, so I must have confirmed that at some time in the past...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
I was opted in as well. However, I haven't tried to purchase a new ebook recently. I can only assume that we'd get the aforementioned pop up the first time we tried to purchase something with this new option, which would give us the opportunity to turn it off.
Probably true, except pop-ups can be tricky things. They don't always pop up as designed and some people run software to specifically block them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #45
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Hadn't thought of that!, Now I have to change my birthday every month
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote