Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
ipdf with CPU Throttling

State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU. This saves energy & you get more reading time.
rincewind modded iRex's pdf viewer this way & added some nice features like "remembers pen-settings" or "Hide scribbles". He uploaded the binary in this thread on forum.irexnet.com. Thanks, rincewood!

I attached a installation & deinstallation script.

Oh, Adam B., I hope you get a unbricked iLiad in near future. Therefore I run the script several times, did a reboot, tested the firmware check; I found no problem: so it should be safe for all.

[EDIT]: I updated ipdf binary and changed readme.txt a bit in zip file [rincewind's Mar 23, 2007 version, md5: a6a2650badb6007a34158b064293c6d3 changes: stripped binary, not working easter egg removed.]
[EDIT II]: fake FAQ: Ok, some new ipdf binary was released. I have installed a older ipdf with the script. Do I have to deinstall ipdf with the older script before I can install the new ipdf binary? No! Just remove the old script on MMC/CF, copy the new script to it & execute the script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipdf_powersave_Mar_23_for_2.9.1.zip (82.5 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by yokos; 03-24-2007 at 09:40 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Question about filesizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU. This saves energy & you get more reading time.
rincewind modded iRex's pdf viewer this way & added some nice features like "remembers pen-settings" or "Hide scribbles". He uploaded the binary in this thread on forum.irexnet.com. Thanks, rincewood!

I attached a installation & deinstallation script.

Oh, Adam B., I hope you get a unbricked iLiad in near future. Therefore I run the script several times, did a reboot, tested the firmware check; I found no problem: so it should be safe for all.

If I understand well, Throttle_ipdf = 1232 KB, Irex_ipdf = 76 KB !
Why is that? Are a lot of libraries replaced? Or is it Rincewind's mods?

Nice work, anyway!
Could someone add search and use of a look-up dictionary. Would make me very glad!

Last edited by henkvdg; 03-23-2007 at 01:27 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg

Nice work, anyway!
Could someone add search and use of a look-up dictionary. Would make me very glad!
My best guess is that the cpu-throttled ipdf wasn't created with the zlib compression libraries. Or maybe there were other libraries or functions that were included with the program enhancements. I haven't tested it, so I do not know.

I have no idea what's involved in searching, so I can't answer that. I think it's on iRex's planned feature list though. As far as a dictionary search, it shouldn't be *too* difficult to program a button that will launch stardict from ipdf. It should run on top of it, so when you close out of the dictionary, your document will be there.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-23-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Perhaps he forgot to strip the debug information from the binary?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
My best guess is that the cpu-throttled ipdf wasn't created with the zlib compression libraries. Or maybe there were other libraries or functions that were included with the program enhancements. I haven't tested it, so I do not know.

I have no idea what's involved in searching, so I can't answer that. I think it's on iRex's planned feature list though. As far as a dictionary search, it shouldn't be *too* difficult to program a button that will launch stardict from ipdf. It should run on top of it, so when you close out of the dictionary, your document will be there.
Yes, but I can imagine that the library defined appears as a pop-up box when you select a word with the pen and click the library icon in the tool bar, but your solution is OK too.

Searching is available in many PDF viewers. It is nothing special, I think. Just pattern recognition in the PDF file, with a little sophistication. Irex promised it long ago. Why it was not there from the start, I do not understand. Probably not in the source of the software that was chosen.

It is a problem on the iLiad to switch applications. The user interface is very primitive (or simple). As far as I know, you leave the application and return to the contentlister and you choose another application. If you use buttons in a program, you could go to the contentlister without leaving the application, like a MP3 player and it goes on in the background, if we could swith applications fast (and have them running together) we could switch between documents or between documents and notes or diary or webbrowsing, e-mail, or ....

There could be a toggle icon in the tool bar, subsequently switching through the running user applications (or their respective screen-image-memory pages, and attached controls!).
It will take some amount of memory to have a number of applications active simultaniously and, if they are actually running, like the MP3 player, also some processor sharing.

The iLiad is not really meant for too much of that, but a little bit of it would be nice.

Last edited by henkvdg; 03-24-2007 at 04:14 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Perhaps he forgot to strip the debug information from the binary?
Yup.

Code:
>file ipdf
ipdf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, 
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
I don't have my dev tools installed in a usable form at the moment, but I'm quite sure that it would be significantly smaller once stripped.

JayK
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Attached is the same zip, with the throttle ipdf stripped of all it's debugging info. As you can see, it's significantly smaller. Nothing is changed except the ipdf binary is stripped.

JayK
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipdf_powersave_for_2.9.1.zip (77.5 KB, 485 views)
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk
Attached is the same zip, with the throttle ipdf stripped of all it's debugging info. As you can see, it's significantly smaller. Nothing is changed except the ipdf binary is stripped.
Thanks, jayk.
Now rincewind strips the binary, too. I updated the zip-file in 1st post [changed binary to rincewind's lastest version, added in readme "You need Shell Access Package" etc.]
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU.
<nitpick>Throttling means skipping CPU cycles. AFAIK the modified iPDF does use frequency scaling instead. Throttling - if possible - might be a way to save even (a little) more energy on the lowest CPU frequency.</nitpick>

Last edited by k2r; 03-24-2007 at 01:20 PM.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
<nitpick>Throttling means skipping CPU cycles. AFAIK the modified iPDF does use frequency scaling instead. Throttling - if possible - might be a way to save even (a little) more energy on the lowest CPU frequency.</nitpick>
Thanks for the lesson, k2r. I used the word rincewind has utilised, dummies can only copy & past.
Yamp! I learned a new English word: nitpick.
I like the feature "hide scribbles with dot button", I use it all the time.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #11
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Thanks for the lesson, k2r
D'oh, actually I'm not the most competent person to teach people about hardware design/powersaving issues. However, cpu-throttling - if possible in hardware and kernel - might even give us an additional way to save (a little more) power, one day.
Quote:
I like the feature "hide scribbles with dot button", I use it all the time.
Yes, it's very useful to me, too. As is the "delete-all-scribbles" trick.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Scribbling does not work well in landscape mode.
Scribble something move to the next page and come back. It will not be visible, although it is visible in portrait mode.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
I just confirmed a hunch I had: After reading a book with the excellent power-saving ipdf viewer, the frequency is stuck at 99000. This makes everything a bit slower (but also adds to battery life). Would it be better if the ipdf viewer reset the frequency to max (or to the original value)? Or perhaps make it configurable?

Of course, we could have a separate script "reset cpu freq to max" but that is a bit cumbersome...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
realityloop
Enthusiast
realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Is anyone working on this for 2.9.5?
*fingers crossed*
realityloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Yeah, that would be nice... I loved the battery savings!
narve is offline   Reply With Quote