Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
kurtek119
kurtek119 began at the beginning.

Device: none
question on internet to read blogs on kindle

I'm having a hard time finding a answer to this question. If I want to read blogs on a ereader, like say if I use google ereader on a kindle. Will I need 3g to read the blogs or would having wifi be enough. I'm thinking I would need a constant internet connection while reading blogs. Basically that I'm wondering if you can load the blogs ahead of time or need a internet connection while reading them since wifi is inconsistent in my area
kurtek119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
kindle 3 is very slow when browsing internet. i almost never use it. but u can use calibre to download blogs first, then upload into the Kindle.
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Cat in the Hat
Cat in the Hat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
You can connect your kindle using wifi to a wireless router in your house (if you have one) and then use your normal internet connection to retreive the blogs.
Cat in the Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I don't find the K3 browsing to be all that slow with the right kind of web site, mobile.nytimes.com being among the best. I'm not a big blog person, so I just picked http://volokh.com/ as one I sometimes, if rarely, look at to see how it would work. Right from that url -- not well at all, especially if you, like me, prefer a large font. Their RSS feed formats nicely on the device and I think is fast enough, but like most it does not have full text. So then I started playing with different RSS feeds, putting them through tools that turn partial RSS feeds into full text, and then through the rsskindle.com tool that I find to be awesome but that isn't really very popular. Anyway, here is the result I now have bookmarked on my Kindle:

http://rsskindle.com/?url=http://www...olokh/mainfeed

Here's a shortened url that seems slower, although it could be my imagination:

http://rsskindle.com/?id=41

Response time? Well, I turned off the WiFi, since I am in my house but wanted to see how it would work outside. Result: 3G with two bars. Time to bring up the blog with the long url: 8 seconds. This was a lot less than I expected. Maybe tomorrow it will be 16 seconds, but tonight it is 8, which I think is pretty good. After the 8 seconds, I increase the font size, which takes about 5 more seconds.

So do you have to spend the better part of an hour playing with a web site to come up with a Kindle 3 bookmark that will be worth keeping? I mostly do. Your alternative in the case of the Volokh Conspiracy blog is purchasing the blog from Amazon, which in this case costs what seems even to a cheapskate like yours truly a very reasonably US$.99/month.

P.S. For purposes of speed, I have images and Javascript turned off on my K3 browser.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-30-2010 at 10:45 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
http://theflannelboard.blogspot.com/...-e-reader.html

i actually wrote a blog on the subject.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I don't typically read blogs online - I use kindlefeeder.com free service to deliver my favourite blog feeds to my kindle as a document. Works great and doesn't cost a penny to download via wifi.

Some blogs read fine on the kindle browser (wordpress blogs are fantastic) but it's easier to get them delivered and dip in and out of at leisure.

Otherwise sending blog / news feeds to your kindle via calibre is also an excellent option and these can also be emailed to your kindle.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote