Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
jakrzysztow
jakrzysztow began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten C
Playbook and Calibre

Seem RIM decided the Playbook would not act like a USB device even thought it is hooked that way, so it does not list in the Devices with Removable Storage. Instead it is in the Network Locations with drive letter.

Any change this can be dealt with?

Below is the output anyway........

Version: 0.8.26
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2936&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2935&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2938&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2934&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2939&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2937&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293a&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293c&rev0003',
u'usb\\vid_0fca&pid_8010&rev_0001',
u'usb\\vid_0fca&pid_8010&rev_0001&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_1a40&pid_0101&rev_0111',
u'usb\\vid_1ea7&pid_0002&rev_0200',
u'usb\\vid_1ea7&pid_0002&rev_0200&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_1ea7&pid_0002&rev_0200&mi_01']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 84, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR
MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2
ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PICO POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60
SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3
THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
jakrzysztow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe the issue is that the Playbook uses a protocol called MTP and there is not a good cross platform MTP library available for use by Calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
jakrzysztow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes. I have read this, but what specifically are you referring to?

I did go though the steps to detect and they we in the first post. Was I missing something?

The software does not detect that the device is connect or disconnected.

Is there anyway to have the "Connect to folder" be remembered? When the computer reboots, I have to redo this. I didn't see any command line way to do this...
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"The USB cable method only works if your Android device can act as a USB disk, which some Android tablets cannot."
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
jakrzysztow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
"The USB cable method only works if your Android device can act as a USB disk, which some Android tablets cannot."
I do not have an Android device, it is a Blackberry device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrzysztow View Post
Is there anyway to have the "Connect to folder" be remembered? When the computer reboots, I have to redo this. I didn't see any command line way to do this...
You did not comment if this is possible?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I do not have an Android device, it is a Blackberry device.
The same is true for any device. And you can use the over the air techniques described in the android faq entry on your playbook as well.

Quote:
You did not comment if this is possible?
Preferences->Tweaks
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
jakrzysztow

This software is absolutely amazing!

Since I use Windows, I use Gladinet Cloud Desktop. This gives me drive letter access to things like Box.net (wish they would have their own client), FTP, the list is awesome!

I have calibre via the "Connect to folder", post the ebooks it manages to Box.Net. Now I can access them using the Box.net software on my Playbook to read these!

And now calibre remembers the folder!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Munner
Munner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
This software is absolutely amazing!

Since I use Windows, I use Gladinet Cloud Desktop. This gives me drive letter access to things like Box.net (wish they would have their own client), FTP, the list is awesome!

I have calibre via the "Connect to folder", post the ebooks it manages to Box.Net. Now I can access them using the Box.net software on my Playbook to read these!

And now calibre remembers the folder!
Which software are you referring to?? Is it Box.net?? Would Sugarsync act as well as the one you mentioned? Come to think of it, it is not available on Playbook!!
Munner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Munner
Munner began at the beginning.

Device: none
If anyone has some tips on loading books onto the BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK, I would really appreciate hearing from you!!
Munner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
jakrzysztow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munner View Post
If anyone has some tips on loading books onto the BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK, I would really appreciate hearing from you!!
Calibre is suppose to directly support the Playbook, but I've never been able to get Calibre to recognize the Playbook.

I choose to use Box.net/Box.com for 2 reasons:
1) they are the only file service with Playbook support, 2) if you access them from the Playbook, they used to give away 50 Gig of storage space.

Not the disadvantage, Box.com does not have free Windows software to sync their service.

So I use Gladinet Cloud Desktop Starter Edition to provide access from Windows to Box.com.

Then I have Calibre keep its library on the drive letter/folder for Box.com that I set up in Gladinet Cloud Desktop Starter Edition.

With this setup, Calibre just keeps its library up to date and via Box.com's Playbook software I can copy the file I wish to read on the Playbook and use any of the readers. At this point in time, no reader directly supports the Box.com API, so this is a little inconvenient to read.

No with OS 2.0 of the Playbook due, all of this may change....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
bobandjoyce
bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.

Device: playbook
Hi, CAN YOU instruct me how to load books from Calibre to Blackberry Playbook...I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THIS FOR 3 WEEKS NOW. Sure hope someone can explain it simple enough for a senior to understand....this is very, very frustrating....Many thanks.
bobandjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
bobandjoyce
bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.

Device: playbook
PLAYBOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munner View Post
Hello....i am in the same boat....did you ever get help with this, if so, would you consider sharing the info....much appreciated
bobandjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjoyce View Post
Hi, CAN YOU instruct me how to load books from Calibre to Blackberry Playbook...I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THIS FOR 3 WEEKS NOW. Sure hope someone can explain it simple enough for a senior to understand....this is very, very frustrating....Many thanks.
BobandJoyce did you get the info I posted in the Other devices thread in response to your request:

I'll post it again:

do the following in order to side load Calibre based books onto your Playbook:

plug your PB into your pc

Open 'My Computer', flag key + E

Wait till you see that the Playbook drive is showing as one of the drives, and open out the file structure so that you can see Books

Open Calibre

Highlight the book/s that you want to 'Save to Disk' (one of the icon headings on the top line of Calibre)

Click on Save to Disk, and select Save only EPub format (if that's what you want)

When the dialogue box opens click on Books in the Playbook drive

The book/s will then copy onto your PB.

You will find them in Files and Folders

--------------------------

Please reply back ..... I don't know if you've already got the info your required.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Coach88
Coach88 began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Playbook Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
BobandJoyce did you get the info I posted in the Other devices thread in response to your request:

I'll post it again:

do the following in order to side load Calibre based books onto your Playbook:

plug your PB into your pc

Open 'My Computer', flag key + E

Wait till you see that the Playbook drive is showing as one of the drives, and open out the file structure so that you can see Books

Open Calibre

Highlight the book/s that you want to 'Save to Disk' (one of the icon headings on the top line of Calibre)

Click on Save to Disk, and select Save only EPub format (if that's what you want)

When the dialogue box opens click on Books in the Playbook drive

The book/s will then copy onto your PB.

You will find them in Files and Folders

--------------------------

Please reply back ..... I don't know if you've already got the info your required.
I followed these steps and copied the books on my PB. However, when i browse the files in the PB. I don't see them... I understand that i don't see them in the Kobo App but i can't see them using Adobe Reader or simply in the file folders. I've read various threads recommending an App called Ebook reader i believe. I went to the BB store and saw two readers with very similar names. I'm not sure wich one is the better of the two. One sells for .99$ the other for 1.99$
Coach88 is offline   Reply With Quote