Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finding new Fantasy

Where do you turn to find new Fantasy books that might catch your interest?

I know I follow what others read here on MR (especially the: what are you reading right now thread) and the book club has previously come up with some great books.

Scanning through the Nebula and Hugo award books might give some tips, but why mix SciFi and Fantasy? I would have wanted two separate categories.

Since I'm more of an Epic Fantasy book reader I find it useful when the books are categorized like Macmilland has done: http://us.macmillan.com/torforge/cat...tionandFantasy

They've categorized it into the following sections: (any other publishers that does it like this?)
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I have a couple of friends who read a lot of fantasy (and blog about it), so I get recs from them. I also check out award lists, those recs Amazon gives you, and "newly released" book lists from publishers.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
I have a couple of friends who read a lot of fantasy (and blog about it), so I get recs from them. I also check out award lists, those recs Amazon gives you, and "newly released" book lists from publishers.
why did you leave out a link to the blog mentioned in your post?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
why did you leave out a link to the blog mentioned in your post?
Because it's just not one blog, but a lot? And it would have taken a lot of time to format links, etc? But here's one blog in particular that I like, if that's what you're looking for: Fantasy Book Cafe.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
Because it's just not one blog, but a lot? And it would have taken a lot of time to format links, etc? But here's one blog in particular that I like, if that's what you're looking for: Fantasy Book Cafe.
i'll check it out.

that's quite nice.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a new site that gave me some inspiration on what to read:
http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/

The site has a lot of top 10 books in different sub-genres like:
* Historical fantasy
* High/Epic fantasy
* Contemporary/Urban
* Steampunk
* Young adult
* Science Fantasy
* Comic fantasy

I like the fact that each sub-genre comes with a definition.

Each entry also comes with a short intro. Here's the Top 10 Heroic/Sword & Sorcery fantasy:
  1. A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
  2. Once Walked With Gods by James Barclay
  3. The Macht by Paul Kearney
  4. The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
  5. War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham
  6. The Lightbringer Trilogy by Brent Weeks
  7. The Ascendants of Estorea by James Barclay
  8. The Tawny Man by Robin Hobb
  9. Chronicles of the Raven by James Barclay
  10. Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

Last edited by thinkpad; 09-02-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You should also consider:

Pat's Fantasy Hotlist
A Dribble of Ink
Fantasy Book Critic
A Fantasy Reader
Graeme's Fantasy Book Review

You'll find Blogrolls on many of those sites to similar blogs, as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
you can also perhaps find authors who are similar to one you already like by using the website Literature map

http://www.literature-map.com/
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
thinkpad
David

Another approach to finding new books that's different is through the site: AllReaders.com that lets you choose:
* Plot
* Main Character
* Main Adversary
* Setting
* Style

It will choose books that match your criteria based on the information you feed it. This doesn't just work for Fantasy. They've also got the same setup for:
* Romance
* Literature
* Mystery/Thriller
* Biography
* History
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
I'll throw out one of my favorite ones just because the author doesn't stick to just fantasy but also urban fantasy, scifi, and steampunk as well which I enjoy all of in moderation and his reviews tend to be close to my own views on most books. http://booktionary.blogspot.com/. As well he tends to be a cover art whore and I can totally relate to that having bought more than one book for the pretty cover art.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You could also keep an eye on World Fantasy Award nominees. Like the Hugos, but with a distinctively more fantastical bent.

N K Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms has been getting some good buzz, by the way, and is currently on my TBR list.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
My path to finding new authors is a bit vague. Often it involves reading about how awesome an author is on different blogs, and if I stumble upon it and the price is right I buy it. Right now, I am broke so I mostly browse through Baen CDs at The Fifth Imperium. I primarly get books I have in paper ( somewhere), or books I have been curious about for awhile . Paraphrasing one of my teachers from high school: " All books are new if I haven't read them before."
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool cover art

to find new authors i google for cover art and when i find a cover that interests me i try to find out who the book author is and/or what the name of the book/series is (as well as the name of the cover artist of course). i also peruse the online galleries of cover artists like henning ludvigsen, dan dos santos and christian mcgrath.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
When I'm passing through an airport and have time to spare, I browse the bookshops and make notes of books/authors that look good. Later I can research them on-line and, if they still look good, download them. It gives the best of both worlds; see the cover, read the jacket, then get the background, find out more about the author/series/etc. It's fun too.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy