Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #136
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I'm guessing you're more likely to see them in big cities, cafes or areas that are high income.

Especially more likely in a cafe that is in a big city that's a high income area.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #137
Unolord
Unolord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Just saw a K3 for the first time this morning on the subway.
Unolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #138
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
At the dentist

I was at my dentist yesterday and in the chair for my six-month cleaning & checkup and I heard him talking to someone at the front desk who had just finished up. The conversation caught my attention because he mentioned "e-reader". When he got around to me I asked him and he said the person had a Kindle. I had brought mine that day and showed him mine. He said that his wife bought an iPad and that she used it mostly for reading. He said that liked the Kindle better and was going to get one. He said that more and more patients were bringing them into the office to read while they're waiting.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #139
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I grew up as a classic bookworm; can't imagine a life without the pleasure - and yes, the escapism -of reading. I almost never go anywhere without having something to read with me, unless it's just a quick trip to the grocery store. Used to be "real" books, now I take my Kindle - though I still have many "real" books at home that I haven't read yet.

Mind you, I don't get out much except to go to work and back home and I don't use public transportation. Needless to say, I have never seen anyone else with an eReader. Since receiving it, I take my Kindle to work; if anyone else there is reading, they are reading a magazine or hardback/paperback book. (Maybe they're waiting to receive their eReaders, too. ) One of the guys at work saw me reading on my Kindle and said he had a Nook (a gift, apparently) but the only time I've seen him reading, he was reading a hardback.

Yesterday I was at Brakes Plus having some maintenance work done on my car. There were other folks in the waiting area, mostly "staring into space," only one person besides me was reading; she had a hardback book with her. I was the only one with an eReader.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #140
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
I saw my first Kindle last week on public transportation, a black one. The bus was coming from university. Usually I see mobiles, iphones and alike gadgets. Ereaders are not trendy yet. Masses just recovered the iPhone and internet-on-mobile (!!) rush. They need time to understand these new devices

Since we are already heading towards winter, I think I won't see them much in near months either.
Perhaps in cafes, hopefully yes.
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #141
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I listened to cnet radio yesterday and they discussed how amazon is claiming ebook sales have surpassed ALL DTB sales. They thought this was unbelievable, and so do I considering the anecdotal evidence here. There must be some cherry picking involved, like "we're the no 1 movie in America!! (among 12-18 girls)"
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #142
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I listened to cnet radio yesterday and they discussed how amazon is claiming ebook sales have surpassed ALL DTB sales. They thought this was unbelievable, and so do I considering the anecdotal evidence here. There must be some cherry picking involved, like "we're the no 1 movie in America!! (among 12-18 girls)"
they probably include the free ebook downloads in those numbers. i've downloaded about 20 books from the kindle store since i bought my kindle, i've only actually paid money for two.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #143
biskyt
biskyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
I live in London and use public transport every day (train, bus and tube). I have seen 2 K3's in the past month (3 if you include mine, which I got 2 days ago). Looking around on the train yesterday morning I was surprised to see how many people were reading 'tree-based' books, newspapers and magazines, but nobody with an eReader!

On the way home last night one person stopped to ask me how I found the kindle as they were thinking of getting one.

The Kindle 3 is being quite heavily advertised on London Underground and overground trains at the moment, so I would expect that more people will be getting them over the coming weeks. I'm doing my bit to promote them. If only I could get random strangers that I meet on the train to use my amazon associate ID when they buy it!!
biskyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've seen a K2 someone was reading while walking in Boston. I've seen a KDX on the subway once. And I've seen a k2 on the bus once. Not yet seen a K3 or KDXG in the wild.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #145
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I travel Kingston-Twickenham and connect to the Windsor train and the adverts are everywhere on South West trains. I haven't seen another Kindle in the wild yet though, but when I change trains at Twickenham I usually see a lady with a Sony 600 or 650 - can't tell which but it is touch screen and the larger one.

The only time I have been asked about it is when I went to see the practice nurse at my doctor's surgery and I read on my Kindle while she had to find a doctor to sign a prescription.

I use a fairly big font though and I am sure people are reading over my shoulder on the train sometimes .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #146
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I still haven't seen any e-readers in public. However, I'm pretty much never on trains or airplanes.

I did go to a very large session of jury duty assignments. I was using my Kindle in the main waiting area and in the smaller rooms while waiting for the lawyers to question me. I did see lots of smartphones (iPhones/Blackberries mostly, some Android phones)

One very soft-spoken man asked me if I was online (I explained the Kindle has 2 models, one wifi-only and one 3G+ wifi, and that the 3G was paid for the lifetime of the device). I showed him how to turn pages and what a book cover looked like.

Since he was an older gentlemen and I use a fairly small font I also showed him how to change font sizes. He seemed impressed with the way it worked. When I told him the two prices, he looked much less impressed.

Price seems to be a big sticking point with people in public. If Amazon could get the price below $100 (k4, maybe?) I think they'd see a HUGE return on it.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #147
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
Seen one Sony (PRS-505 I think) in Alicante airport (Spain). Been asked many times about my K1, and my K2i.
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #148
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Last night saw two gentlemen rading on their kindle in train. Was thourougly surprised seing two kindles in such a close proximity.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #149
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I've never seen a kindle in public or in private.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #150
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I see them everywhere I go...because I always have mine with me.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote