Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
being upable to select teh font FAMILY is a much more common annoyance.

even a generic line like font=family:serif; is enough to "fix" fhe family and disable font selection on device a far as Kobo reader is concerned.

Line spacing controls ARE disabled by relative sizes like 1.2em; AND by non specified unit statement like line-height: 1.2;

so the line spacer controls are useless unless ALL line height CSS is manually removed.

If you look at Kinldes devices, their font / line controls just work.
Original discussion was about font-size not changing. Yes, I know that line height uses the CSS value which is lets me select the line height for my personal preferences on ebooks for my use. For ebooks for others, I simply remove all the line height items along with some other personal preferences. Similarly, I only use embedded fonts and/or font definitions that are necessary for the book display which generally means a monospaced font for displaying computer I/O. Nothing like an upper case monospaced piece of text to make me nostagic for the TTY-33.

Kindles are a different critter since the formats are proprietary and controlled by Amazon. It's quite possible that they allow overriding even fixed size text and line heights as do some non-standard compliant epub readers.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-20-2014 at 12:35 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #47
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The Kobo Reader still can't zoom pictures in normal epubs. The device sucks and it was a waste of money.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #48
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
being upable to select teh font FAMILY is a much more common annoyance.

even a generic line like font=family:serif; is enough to "fix" fhe family and disable font selection on device a far as Kobo reader is concerned.

Line spacing controls ARE disabled by relative sizes like 1.2em; AND by non specified unit statement like line-height: 1.2;

so the line spacer controls are useless unless ALL line height CSS is manually removed.

If you look at Kinldes devices, their font / line controls just work.
This may explain why the line spacing also looked odd on the Kobo Glo. No matter what I did the line spacing had too much space above and below the text, however my 1.2em line spacing on the Sony looks fine.

I'm thinking it may be time to remove line spacing all together from my css...I'm not sure what purpose it serves.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote