Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #46
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Kindle - Igor's Script.

I still get the same message from Igor's Script.
In MobiPocket Reader it has the correct PID XXXXXXX*XX
In MobiPocket itself (where I have I have my list of downloaded books) it has XXXXXXXXX which was changed by MobiPocket itself and I cannot change it.
Is there any way that I am able to get around this?
Help is much appreciated.:chinscratch

Day later.
Had sent Account Reset Request to Mobipocket as thought I might have filled in incorrectly.
Reset PID XXXXXXX*XX and once again it changed to XXXXXXXXX.
Is there any way of changing "*" in Igor's Script?

Last edited by nohmi2; 07-25-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #47
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
AFAIK, your Kindle PID should have a "*" in it. When you ran KindlePID did the result have and asterisk in it?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #48
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle PID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
AFAIK, your Kindle PID should have a "*" in it. When you ran KindlePID did the result have and asterisk in it?
Yes. I entered it correctly into MobiPocket, which then converted it without the asterik. I wonder if this is something new with them to prevent the PID on Kindle from working. In MobiPocket Reader it's fine, it's just on the site where I have registered Kindle to enable me to buy books (which I have done for years) that the trouble lies.
AFAIK????
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #49
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I think early in this thread someone said that some of the sites--mobipocket for one--use a server that will not accept the Kindle-style PID. IIRC, there are really two "Mobipocket" services (Mobipocket itself and Overdrive?), so you need to find a provider that uses the other service.
Or I need a memory upgrade.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Of the major sites, only Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard (OverDrive only) allow the Kindle PID to be used. Local libraries also use Overdrive and should accept the Kindle PID. Fictionwise does not necessarily use Overdrive, but works with Kindle PIDs anyway. See A Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content.

Note that there is also the option of breaking the DRM with mobidedrm. This isn't as clearly legal in the US as Igor's script, but it is difficult to see who has standing (or the interest) to sue you if all you do is read the cracked ebook on the Kindle.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #51
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Kindle

Many thanks for the replies.
Methinks that the more I learn, the less I know. I will continue grappling with Kindle though, and see how I get on.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #52
dancer44
dancer44 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Script on vista

I cannot get the script to work at all on Vista. When I enter kindle.py serialnumber, all I get is a return to the command prompt. Is the script not compatible with Vista?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #53
taltman711
taltman711 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer44 View Post
I cannot get the script to work at all on Vista. When I enter kindle.py serialnumber, all I get is a return to the command prompt. Is the script not compatible with Vista?
Yes, the PID script will run from the command line in Vista. Use the proper name for the script. "Kindle.py" is not correct. Kindle.py will give you the notation that it is not a recognized command, etc. and return you to the prompt.

Tim
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #54
ribbon_cable
ribbon_cable began at the beginning.

Almost there

Perhaps I can get some input.

I have successfully run the kindlepid.py script and obtained the PID.
I entered this PID at ebooks.com and downloaded my book
I ran kindlefix.py on the file I downloaded (163868.prc)
This produced a file called 163868.azw
All of the above was done using Windows XP
I then emailed the file to the person who owns the kindle.
She was able to load the file on her kindle.
When she tries to open the file she is informed that it can not be opened and if she bought it from Amazon she needs to call tech support.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #55
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I had similar problems with downloaded library books that expired before I tried to read them on my Kindle. Is it possible that the book you're trying to fix has some type of date/time stamp on it?

cheers
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbon_cable View Post
Perhaps I can get some input.

I have successfully run the kindlepid.py script and obtained the PID.
I entered this PID at ebooks.com and downloaded my book
I ran kindlefix.py on the file I downloaded (163868.prc)
This produced a file called 163868.azw
All of the above was done using Windows XP
I then emailed the file to the person who owns the kindle.
She was able to load the file on her kindle.
When she tries to open the file she is informed that it can not be opened and if she bought it from Amazon she needs to call tech support.

Thanks
If you have the PID from your Kindle, then it won't work on her Kindle as you need her PID from her Kindle.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #57
ribbon_cable

File not valid

Well I purchased it three days ago. so I would hope that it has not expired.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #58
ribbon_cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have the PID from your Kindle, then it won't work on her Kindle as you need her PID from her Kindle.
I do not have a Kindle. I am helping her with hers.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #59
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I suggest trying mobidedrm. This will strip the encryption from the file (which may not be legal to do where you live, even though you bought the ebook), but it will certainly confirm that the PID is correct (although kindlefix checks too) and will allow you to read the file using MobiPocket Reader before sending it on. The Kindle will read any DRM-free MOBI file (.prc or .mobi).
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #60
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well I purchased it three days ago. so I would hope that it has not expired.
Where was the book purchased from, may I ask? Sometimes a book gets coded with your PC PID rather than the Kindle PID when you purchase them.
Closed Thread