Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
I was reading Marco Arment's review of the new Nook Touch that was just released and he mentions this: "The Nook aggressively hyphenates, which I found distracting." If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the Nook Touch is running a very similar program to the Nook Color and if they are using the same framework, that means that all future Nooks will have this same issue.
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
I was reading Marco Arment's review of the new Nook Touch that was just released and he mentions this: "The Nook aggressively hyphenates, which I found distracting." If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the Nook Touch is running a very similar program to the Nook Color and if they are using the same framework, that means that all future Nooks will have this same issue.
It is not an issue. It's a good thing. better the hyphens then the wide gaps. As long as you can turn off hyphens for certain styles it's a good thing to have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #33
Loomer
Loomer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is not an issue. It's a good thing. better the hyphens then the wide gaps. As long as you can turn off hyphens for certain styles it's a good thing to have.
If it hyphenated well it would not be an issue but that is not the case. I just bought the nook touch after owning the nook classic and find the hyphenation extremely distracting, the breaks completely jarring my mind's flow. Some examples from the first few pages of a book:
morn-ing
crea-tures
hunt-ed
liv-ing
expres-sion
hor-rible
oc-curred
av-erage
thou-sand
col-lapsed

I mean, "crea.....tures", "thou....sand"? That's just not right. At the least there should be an option to disable it. Fortunately Peter Sorotokin's adobe-hyphenate solution fixes it. Having to run every book through calibre is pretty ridiculous- but at least it's keeping me from returning the thing.
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #34
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
I can not stand books that are not fully justified and hyphenated, but if you prefer to stop hyphenation the following tip might help.

Mobile ADE libraries in Nook STR(1.0.1 update) have a bug that shuts down the hyphenation engine until the device is turned off and on again. If the Nook Color uses the same library code, maybe you can (ab)use this bug to turn off hyphenation.

Here is how:

1. Prepare a dummy EPUB (or acquire a free one from gutenberg, feedbooks etc.)
2. Extract OPF file from it.
3. Change the language to "UND".
4. Put it back into the EPUB overwriting original one.

When you open the resulting book in Nook STR, the hyphenation engine seems to be getting shut down and all your other books are rendered without hyphens as well. This behavior persists through sleep. The engine starts running properly again after the device is turned off and on.

PS. Since this is a bug abuse, do not expect it to work indefinitely. A patch in a future update might fix this behavior.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #35
Funslinger
Funslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is not an issue. It's a good thing. better the hyphens then [than] the wide gaps. As long as you can turn off hyphens for certain styles it's a good thing to have.
That is a matter of opinion. If there is an option to turn it off, then I am fine with it. But if it can't be turned off, it's a deal breaker for me. I hate to have hyphens at the ends of lines PERIOD. It forces me to withhold internal pronunciation until I scan all the way to the start of the next line to conclude the word. I hate having to break my train of thought in the MIDDLE of a word.

An ereader should facilitate reading, not make the page look nice at first glance. I have no problem with wide gaps at the ends of lines (many paragraph endings have wide gaps even with full justification). The uniform word spacing of left-aligned text along with no hyphenation or wrapped hyphenated words, improves the flow of text and facilitates reading for me.
Funslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #36
Funslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Of course the other way to handle reduce the hyphenation would be to use left justification instead of full justification (this will cause a ragged right edge). ie add 'text-align: left;' to an appropriate set of selectors. This will however require you to turn 'Publisher Defaults' on for the book on your NC, since the BN custom style sheet adds in 'text-align: justify', and has a higher priority than the document css settings.

(EDIT: I notice that this is what Jerseyman first suggested (post 6) )

Hmmm different strokes for different folks, I guess. When dealing with full justification, you are the first person I've heard of that prefers playing with the interword/intercharacter spacing over hyphenation. (In c r eas e d spa c in g dri ves me batty )
Then why do you use full justification? (Your   example   of   increased   spacing   was   incorrect   anyway.)

I prefer left-aligned text and I STILL get hyphens on a Nook Simple Touch (EDIT: That is until a started using Peter Sorotokin's suggestion of {adobe-hyphenate: none}; but that only works for non-DRMed ebooks). End-of-line hyphens drive me crazy as does breaking a hyphenated word on the hyphen. Had I known that the NOOK Simple Touch auto hyphenates, I wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited by Funslinger; 07-16-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #37
rickybooks
rickybooks began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funslinger View Post
Then why do you use full justification? (Your   example   of   increased   spacing   was   incorrect   anyway.)

I prefer left-aligned text and I STILL get hyphens on a Nook Simple Touch (EDIT: That is until a started using Peter Sorotokin's suggestion of {adobe-hyphenate: none}; but that only works for non-DRMed ebooks). End-of-line hyphens drive me crazy as does breaking a hyphenated word on the hyphen. Had I known that the NOOK Simple Touch auto hyphenates, I wouldn't have bought it.
Would you mind explaining how you got the ADE line to work on calibre as if I was 5 years old please?

Do I simply add this on calibre CSS panel - styles? (the menu where I change fonts, justification and etc)

body {
adobe-hyphenate: none
}

Sorry for a 2nd question

I d love to simply have the bug abused, so:

I open my calibre library, and I have 4 files. book.epub, original.epub, cover, and the .opf file. Opening it with the notepad, I have that line, if I simpyl alter the ENG to UND and save it, then import the books thru adobe essentials to my nook, will that work? Should I import em manually navigating thru the folders or thru ADE?

I hate hyphenations so much, gotta love it dividing McGon-agall >.<

Last edited by rickybooks; 07-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
rickybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
rickybooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
This property is better suited for hyphenation control:

adobe-hyphenate: none | explicit | auto

You should be able to set it on individual spans if you want to disable hyphenation. adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed works (only on paragraph), but it uses lower quality typography and it is not recommended.
Sorry for double posting

How would I add this to make the whole book not hyphenate on calibre? I really dont know crap about programming, but I hate hyphenations enough! lol

body {
}

in the calibre LOOK & FEEL - Extra CSS menu? Just add there?? Do I know the epub with some other program and add it in the beginning of it? oh god i m lost

EDIT: Whats the easiest way to lose the hyphenation on all of my books? If adding that line is as simple as I said above ( on calibre and etc) its np, but if I gotta edit 923913291 lines of text, would it be using the bug on opf? Thank you.

Converting videos is so much easier =(((

Last edited by rickybooks; 07-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
rickybooks

I am doing this for my Nook ST w glowlight, not a tablet/color, but I m betting the same principle applies.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Funslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybooks View Post
Would you mind explaining how you got the ADE line to work on calibre as if I was 5 years old please?

Do I simply add this on calibre CSS panel - styles? (the menu where I change fonts, justification and etc)

body {
}

Sorry for a 2nd question

I d love to simply have the bug abused, so:

I open my calibre library, and I have 4 files. book.epub, original.epub, cover, and the .opf file. Opening it with the notepad, I have that line, if I simpyl alter the ENG to UND and save it, then import the books thru adobe essentials to my nook, will that work? Should I import em manually navigating thru the folders or thru ADE?

I hate hyphenations so much, gotta love it dividing McGon-agall >.<
I actually edit my ePubs manually using TextMate.

To do it with calibre:
During conversion, place the following text in the Extra CSS box of the Look & Feel section: body {adobe-hyphenate: none}

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Funslinger; 07-16-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #41
rickybooks

IT WORKEEEEEEEEEED OH GOD

<333333 SMACK! lol