Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
fibrou
Edge User

Desk Copies?

So, anybody able to download desk copies of textbooks yet? How did you do it?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Not yet, but I'm trying to get information from publishers about it.

Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrou View Post
So, anybody able to download desk copies of textbooks yet? How did you do it?
What is a Desk Copy?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
What is a Desk Copy?
Free copy for instructors.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
eberhardt333
Edge User

I have been able to do one. I got the code from the rep and downloaded it to the adobe reader on my computer and then transferred it to my edge. As long as you can use Adobe it should work. You just have to ask the rep if they have ebook options for the desk copy and then it will also depend on whether they have an option to download it or just view it online. Some that I checked into still did not have that option but W.W. Norton seems to.

Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
lisa031825
Edge User

If the ebook is online only, you can print to a pdf file and move the pdf to the edge.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Batman Jr.
Edge User

I finally was able to receive a desk copy of one of the textbooks I assigned this semester. It's from Cengage Publishing, and downloaded with no problems. I've only had it for a short while, but so far all of the annotation tools, etc. work as with any other content [Note - I haven't downloaded the Dingo update yet, so I hope all will still be well after I do so.]. For anyone who is using a text from Cengage, or one of its imprints, the individual who I communicated with left these instructions for potentially obtaining a desk copy:

"You can certainly let your fellow educators know that if they are interested in reviewing a text with the Entourage features on their eDGe, I’ll need the following information.

Name of Professor
Email address
School they are affiliated with
Entourage Device Serial Number
ISBN# of the text (note that ideally they should check the Entourage website first to confirm they have the text on their site)

Let me know if you have any questions."

Audrey Tortolani
Executive Director, Business Integrations
Cengage Learning
20 Channel Center Street
Boston, MA 02210

(o) 617.757.8061 | (e) audrey.tortolani@cengage.com | www.cengage.com

Hope that's helpful.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
lisa031825
Edge User

Thanks Batman. I've been trying to get my contact at Cengage to hook me up and I haven't gotten a response.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa031825 View Post
Thanks Batman. I've been trying to get my contact at Cengage to hook me up and I haven't gotten a response.

No problem,Lisa. I feel like I'm only using my eDGe to about 50% capacity for personal use, so I hope testing this for educational use will speed my learning curve up in both arenas. One thing I've been trying to envision is what useful ways there will be to use the Blackboard capabilities (when they are actually available )that add value beyond the desktop application, especially assuming most students won't have eDGes in the short term. Good luck with obtaining your copies. Take care.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
lisa031825
Edge User

I guess you just have to get a hold of the right person. I got my copies the same day that I contacted Audrey. I can't speak to Blackboard but I've posted in other thread how I'm using the EE to teach. I'm sure I'm not using all of the capabilities either, but the organization and time savings I get from using the EE is phenomenal.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa031825 View Post
I guess you just have to get a hold of the right person. I got my copies the same day that I contacted Audrey. I can't speak to Blackboard but I've posted in other thread how I'm using the EE to teach. I'm sure I'm not using all of the capabilities either, but the organization and time savings I get from using the EE is phenomenal.
Glad to hear it worked out. I'll have to check out your past posts for tips. I've really been getting quite a bit of value out of the annotation, audio-embedding, and web-linking capabilities for my research work, but haven't used it a lot for classroom purposes, yet, so I'm interested to see what you're doing; thanks.